alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

Yes, without question.

Matt Joyce has similar production as Boesch. Oh yeah, and he can play D..and is 3 years younger.

Matt Joyce has similar production as Boesch. Oh yeah, and he can play D..and is 3 years younger.

They are the same age.

No way. Joyce had the same offensive profile at the time of the trade as Boesch does now, but with a better minor league track record and better defense, not to mention being considerably younger than Boesch as well. If Boesch is doing something now that Joyce wasn't doing in 2008, I don't see what it is.

You beat me to it. I was not a fan of the Joyce trade but I'd be okay with dealing Boesch in a similar deal, precisely because I don't think he's as good now as Joyce was then (or now).

I'd pass on Jamey Carroll.

Why? He would cost almost nothing. You'd be trading back someone like Iorg or some other mid-level prospect that would be nothing but a back up here in Detroit.

You'd be getting a great defensive player that makes contact with the ball and can be used in 3 different positions. He's not a great player, but I would consider him an upgrade from Inge or Raburn probably both in the field and at the plate. I don't care if he has no power. Inge doesn't anymore either, and Carroll would strikeout a lot less than Inge does.

Hey, when Inge was out and they were using Kelly or Worth at third - they sure seemed to be winning more and playing better overall. Inge has come back and this team has been flat. Mr. Check Swing is in top form again.

They are the same age.

They are comparing the trade to the hypothetical trade and so using Joyce's age during the 2008-2009 off season.

The Tigers rolled the dice on so many spots to start the season. The starters in LF, RF, 2B, 3B, even SS and C (with Avila). The batting order, with many predicting Jackson would fall off and Rhymes batting second was a huge gamble. And then there is the starting pitching with legitimate question 3-5. That seems like way too much gambling and many of the same questions remain. Still, if they don't get their starting pitching in order, not much else is going to matter. Hitting their way to the playoffs just to get bounced early doesn't appeal to me.

Hitting their way to the playoffs just to get bounced early doesn't appeal to me.

Why would they get bounced early in the playoffs? They've got one dominant pitcher and another who is frequently dominant and could very well get hot at the right time. The top of the rotation matters more in the playoffs than depth. And anything can happen in a short series. I'm more concerned that they have enough pitching to get there.

Why would they get bounced early in the playoffs? They've got one dominant pitcher and another who is frequently dominant and could very well get hot at the right time. The top of the rotation matters more in the playoffs than depth. And anything can happen in a short series. I'm more concerned that they have enough pitching to get there.

Banking on Scherzer to get hot at the right time is not a game I want to play. But I think that is the most likely what this season will come down to. The good news is that we are not the only AL playoff contender with questions at the top of the rotation.

Edited by Hart

Wtf? How is that even debatable?

Someone really needs to explain to me how a guy with an .830 OPS and good defense at age 23 has less trade value than a guy with an .830 OPS with worse defense at age 26.

It is my opinion that power hitting corner outfielders who can hit for a decent average are more valuable now than they were 3 years ago. In 2008, there were 28 players that hit 30 or more home runs and 51 players that had a .300 average or better. Last year, there were 18 players that hit 30 or more home runs and 36 players with a .300 average or better. It is no secret that 2010 and 2011 have turned the tide a good amount back towards the pitchers and in my mind, this puts good hitters at a premium.

Aren't we making the same argument? I definitely want more pitching, not a bat in an either/or situation. The pitching staff, of late, leaves much more to be desired than their lineup (despite glaring problems there).

It is my opinion that power hitting corner outfielders who can hit for a decent average are more valuable now than they were 3 years ago. In 2008, there were 28 players that hit 30 or more home runs and 51 players that had a .300 average or better. Last year, there were 18 players that hit 30 or more home runs and 36 players with a .300 average or better. It is no secret that 2010 and 2011 have turned the tide a good amount back towards the pitchers and in my mind, this puts good hitters at a premium.

The age difference alone is more significant than this factor, IMHO.

Joyce was better then, and he is better now. He has always been the better prospect / player, and I think he returns more in a deal than Boesch.

The age difference alone is more significant than this factor, IMHO.

Joyce was better then, and he is better now. He has always been the better prospect / player, and I think he returns more in a deal than Boesch.

Granted, Joyce was two years younger when we traded him than Boesch is now but 24 is not really considered young for a prospect. I think in both cases, you are looking largely at what has the player done for me lately in the major leagues.

@jonmorosi Jon Morosi

#Tigers have some interest in Hiroki Kuroda of #Dodgers. But he has a no-trade clause, and it’s not clear if he would waive it.

Gio Gonzalez is the guy to target. But I think our best hope is to bring up Turner and hope Scherzer starts pitching like he did last year.

Agreed about Gonzalez. If the A's would give up Gio I'd snag him in a second, I don't think that's too likely though. I'd offer the A's Furbush and two players from a combination of Wells/Smiley/Fields/Dirks.

Gio Gonzalez is the guy to target. But I think our best hope is to bring up Turner and hope Scherzer starts pitching like he did last year.

I like Gonzalez too. Don't think the A's would trade him though.

Agreed about Gonzalez. If the A's would give up Gio I'd snag him in a second, I don't think that's too likely though. I'd offer the A's Furbush and two players from a combination of Wells/Smiley/Fields/Dirks.

the only way the As are gonna part with him is if they can steal the deal...hes still making nearly the league minimum and if they do trade him it will be for offense.

I'm thinking a package of Boesch, F. Martinez, and lefty SP prospect is a more likely return.

the only way the As are gonna part with him is if they can steal the deal...hes still making nearly the league minimum and if they do trade him it will be for offense.

I'm thinking a package of Boesch, F. Martinez, and lefty SP prospect is a more likely return.

I loooooove me some Gio. But, I don't know if I love him pitching for us. At times, he's absolutely nasty and unhittable. Others, he goes out there and walks 7. It'd be extremely frustrating to watch him go out there and walk 4-5 hitters/9.

At the same time, he's improved his k/bb, bb/9 and fastball velo in the past few years. I think he has the potential to be an ace. He also has the potential to get extremely wild. I'm torn, even though I'm a big supporter.

Is Chad Billingsley an option? The Dodgers are in dire financial straits and he has a 3 year 35 million dollar extension kicking in next year. Would they entertain the thought of moving him?

Is Chad Billingsley an option? The Dodgers are in dire financial straits and he has a 3 year 35 million dollar extension kicking in next year. Would they entertain the thought of moving him?

I like where you're going with this. :cheeky::cheeky:

but seriously Billingsley, Kuroda, Carroll, Blake,

Ethier, Lilly, and Broxton are all very welcome

deadline acquisition options IMO...heres to hoping ol Mr. I. can help the Dodgers financial fiasco and reap the rewards of a calculated risk.

Gio has been like Edwin Jackson early in his career. A ton of promise and a great prospect that hasn't been able to put it all together all the time. Although he's done alot better than Edwin did with LA.

I'd take Billingsley or Kuroda from the Dodgers. Financially they're ****ed, so maybe they could be had without too much trouble. Though you have to imagine pretty much every contending team would be in on them. They both have chinks in their armors. Kuroda is old and lots of people have (I believe unfounded) doubts about him being able to get outs in the AL. Billingsley is simply way too inefficient, like Scherzer but without the one start out of every three where he looks like a legitimate no doubt horse ace going 7 or 8.

EDIT - Gio walks a lot of guys and you have to be careful trading for All Stars because they get overrated, and also trading with Beane because you'll often get screwed, but he'd be a nice upgrade.

The point is that there are a lot of pitchers in the majors right now who would be an upgrade on at least one spot in the rotation.

Edited by Eric Cioe