alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

SP:

RHP Hiroki Kuroda: Los Angeles Dodgers - 1 year / $12,000,000... Arbitration Eligible... 16 G, 5-9, 3.10 ERA, 1.249 WHIP, 28 BB, 77 SO, 2.0 WAR

LHP Wandy Rodriguez: Houston Astros - 3 years / $34,000,000 + $13,000,000 club option with $2,500,000 buyout for 2014... Under Contract... 13 G, 5-4, 3.21 ERA, 1.310 WHIP, 23 BB, 69 SO, 2.1 WAR

LHP John Danks: Chicago White Sox - 1 year / $6,000,000... Arbitration Eligible... 15 G, 3-8, 4.21 ERA, 1.351 WHIP, 28 BB, 64 SO, 1.2 WAR

RHP Jeremy Guthrie: Baltimore Orioles - 1 year / $5,750,000... Arbitration Eligible... 17 G, 3-9, 3.93 ERA, 1.272 WHIP, 24 BB, 64 SO, 1.8 WAR

RHP Jason Marquis: Washington Nationals - 1 year / $7,500,000... Free Agent... 15 G, 7-2, 3.53 ERA, 1.336 WHIP, 26 BB, 54 SO, 1.0 WAR

LHP Erik Bedard: Seattle Mariners - 1 year / $1,000,000... Free Agent... 15 G, 4-6, 3.00 ERA, 1.111 WHIP, 26 BB, 85 SO, 1.7 WAR

RP:

RHP Tyler Clippard: Washington Nationals - 1 year / $443,000... Arbitration Eligible... 36 G, 45.0 IP, 2.00 ERA, 0.889 WHIP, 15 BB, 57 SO, 1.6 WAR

RHP Mike Adams: San Diego Padres - 1 year / $2,535,000... Arbitration Eligible... 35 G, 35.1 IP, 1.27 ERA, 0.651 WHIP, 5 BB, 35 SO, 1.5 WAR

2B/3B:

RH Jamey Carroll: Los Angeles Dodgers - 1 year / $1,800,000... Free Agent... 74 G, .300 AVG, 0 HR, 8 RBI, 27 BB, 33 SO, 1.4 WAR

RH Jeff Keppinger: Houston Astros - 1 year / $2,300,000... Arbitration Eligible... 28 G, .336 AVG, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 4 BB, 6 SO, 1.4 WAR

RH Aramis Ramirez: Chicago Cubs -1 year / $14,600,000 + $16,000,000 club option with $2,000,000 buyout for 2012... Club Option or Free Agent... 72 G, .289 AVG, 8 HR, 37 RBI, 17 BB, 35 SO, 1.2 WAR

LH Kelly Johnson: Arizona Diamondbacks - 1 year / $5,850,000... Free Agent... 74 G, .209 AVG, 12 HR, 32 RBI, 29 BB, 91 SO, 0.1 WAR

LH Ian Stewart: Colorado Rockies - 1 year / $2,287,500... Arbitration Eligible... 21 G, .064 AVG, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 5 BB, 18 SO, -1.0 WAR

SH Wilson Betemit: Kansas City Royals - 1 year / $1,000,000... Free Agent... 51 G, .286 AVG, 2 HR, 24 RBI, 18 BB, 52 SO, 0.9 WAR

LH Adam Kennedy: Seattle Mariners - 1 year / $750,000... Free Agent... 63 G, .270 AVG, 6 HR, 24 RBI, 12 BB, 25 SO, 1.5 WAR

RH Casey Blake: Los Angeles Dodgers - 1 year / $5,250,000 + $6,000,000 club option with $1,250,000 buyout for 2012... Club Option or Free Agent... 40 G, .250 AVG, 4 HR, 18 RBI, 14 BB, 33 SO, 0.2 WAR

SH Jose Reyes: New York Mets - 1 year / $11,000,000... Free Agent... 75 G, .341 AVG, 3 HR, 32 RBI, 25 BB, 26 SO, 3.8 WAR

OF:

SH Carlos Beltran: New York Mets - 1 year / $18,500,000... Free Agent... 76 G, .278 AVG, 10 HR, 49 RBI, 40 BB, 46 SO, 2.3 WAR

RH Josh Willingham: Oakland Athletics - 1 year / $6,000,000... Free Agent... 64 G, .231 AVG, 10 HR, 42 RBI, 22 BB, 76 SO, 0.1 WAR

Thank you. Too many teams are in contention or bankruptcy right now. It's hard to know who is selling.

Ok. Supposing we don't go for a rental and go for a trade I see the following players as non-essential and perhaps having some value to a trade partner.

1. Austin Jackson: He is cost controlled for four years, we've all seen the defense. The offense lacks, but it is starting to look like he'll have at least a little power. Dirks and Wells can play center. If there is a blockbuster I could see him as a piece in it.

2. Brennan Boesch: He is cost controlled. He is streaky or bad and other GM's will know this which hurts his value somewhat. The Tigers can use Dirks in his role. I could see him in a deal if a team needs a left handed bat and is willing to roll the dice on which Boesch they get.

3. Ryan Perry: Our bullpen has a lot of problems. So, trading any reliever might seem problematic. Sometimes Perry seems like the problem and sometimes he seems like the solution, however. A team that wants a good bullpen in 2012 might go for Perry as part of a trade.

4. Dirk Wellburn: I suppose there is not huge value in a fourth outfielder. We got 'em though.

I'm going on a limb and predicting a bigger trade than expected and a package from the Tigers that includes Jackson or Boesch.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this post to predict that we trade a hard-throwing A-ball reliever for a 4.75 ERA pitcher on the last year of his contract.

+1 in the bold print. Unless Scherzer gets more consistent, the Grandy trade was a bust. If we could salvage something of value by spinning off A.J. then I'm all for it.

weren't people opposed to trading Boesch for Cliff Lee last year?

Yes, and I for one am glad they didn't trade him for Lee. At this juncture we wouldn't have Lee or Boesch, most likely.

Boesch is my boy, but even I would not have opposed that trade.

Ok. Supposing we don't go for a rental and go for a trade I see the following players as non-essential and perhaps having some value to a trade partner.

1. Austin Jackson: He is cost controlled for four years, we've all seen the defense. The offense lacks, but it is starting to look like he'll have at least a little power. Dirks and Wells can play center. If there is a blockbuster I could see him as a piece in it.

2. Brennan Boesch: He is cost controlled. He is streaky or bad and other GM's will know this which hurts his value somewhat. The Tigers can use Dirks in his role. I could see him in a deal if a team needs a left handed bat and is willing to roll the dice on which Boesch they get.

3. Ryan Perry: Our bullpen has a lot of problems. So, trading any reliever might seem problematic. Sometimes Perry seems like the problem and sometimes he seems like the solution, however. A team that wants a good bullpen in 2012 might go for Perry as part of a trade.

4. Dirk Wellburn: I suppose there is not huge value in a fourth outfielder. We got 'em though.

I'm going on a limb and predicting a bigger trade than expected and a package from the Tigers that includes Jackson or Boesch.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this post to predict that we trade a hard-throwing A-ball reliever for a 4.75 ERA pitcher on the last year of his contract.

I don't see them trading either Boesch or Jackson for exactly the reasons you mentioned for trading them. Cost control mostly added with the fact they have at least done it in the bigs as opposed to unknowns in the farm.

I don't see them trading either Boesch or Jackson for exactly the reasons you mentioned for trading them. Cost control mostly added with the fact they have at least done it in the bigs as opposed to unknowns in the farm.

Well, they traded Grandy under similar conditions.

Well, they traded Grandy under similar conditions.

Granderson was due a large pay increase and showing signs of decline and turning 30.

I could see them trading either Jackson or Boesch in a blockbuster after the season, but that's not the type of deal they usually make during the season.

Granderson was due a large pay increase and showing signs of decline and turning 30.

He is worth it and not declining. He had signed a five year contract in 08 which looks quite reasonable now based on his 2011 performance. Grandy is still relatively young, really just entering his prime. He's only 30 now and already in his second season with the Yankees. He was far from old when traded by Detroit.

I wouldn't say Granderson is just entering his prime, but his contract was and is very reasonable even without the big power numbers this year. I didn't ever think he was on the decline and I don't think the Tigers or Yankees thought that either. It was just year to year variation.

I wouldn't say Granderson is just entering his prime, but his contract was and is very reasonable even without the big power numbers this year. I didn't ever think he was on the decline and I don't think the Tigers or Yankees thought that either. It was just year to year variation.

Probably not "just entering" now but when he was traded it could have been argued that he was.

Those were just myopic people who actually believed Brennan Boesch was a true talent 1.100 OPS guy in the middle of last year.

But on the topic of Boesch, I think he's a good trade candidate for the reason that Matt Joyce was a trade candidate: good enough talent to get value but not so good that he's irreplaceable. And like Joyce, I wouldn't be opposed to flipping Boesch for an above-average SP or infielder.

Those were just myopic people who actually believed Brennan Boesch was a true talent 1.100 OPS guy in the middle of last year.

But on the topic of Boesch, I think he's a good trade candidate for the reason that Matt Joyce was a trade candidate: good enough talent to get value but not so good that he's irreplaceable. And like Joyce, I wouldn't be opposed to flipping Boesch for an above-average SP or infielder.

I think this sums it up well.

You have to give up something to get value. I think Boesch has more value than Jackson and I think the Tiger can afford to give up Boesch. Young corner outfielders who can hit for power and decent average are in short supply now with pitching taking over the league. I actually think Boesch has more value than Joyce did when we traded him.

I actually think Boesch has more value than Joyce did when we traded him.

No way. Joyce had the same offensive profile at the time of the trade as Boesch does now, but with a better minor league track record and better defense, not to mention being considerably younger than Boesch as well. If Boesch is doing something now that Joyce wasn't doing in 2008, I don't see what it is.

IMO, counting the 25 man roster + 5 best prospects (indicated by *)

Untouchable or it just won't happen

Miguel Cabrera

Justin Verlander

Jacob Turner*

Victor Martinez

Nick Castenellos*

Max Scherzer

Jose Valverde

Alex Avila (never thought I'd say that)

Possible in Blockbuster

Juaquin Benoit

Andy Oliver*

Al Albequerqe

Rick Porcello

Jhonny Peralta

Francisco Martinez*

Austin Jackson

Regular Trade Bait

Charlie Furbush

Lester Oliveros*

Brad Penny

Ryan Perry (just because he is young)

David Purcey

Brayan Villareal

Ramon Santiago

Carlos Guillen

Brennan Boesch

Andy Dirks

Groundoutlio Ordonez

Casper Wells

PLEASE, JUST TAKE HIM!

Phil Coke

Brandon Inge

Don Kelly

IMO, counting the 25 man roster + 5 best prospects (indicated by *)

Untouchable or it just won't happen

Miguel Cabrera

Justin Verlander

Jacob Turner*

Victor Martinez

Nick Castenellos*

Max Scherzer

Jose Valverde

Alex Avila (never thought I'd say that)

Possible in Blockbuster

Juaquin Benoit

Andy Oliver*

Al Albequerqe

Rick Porcello

Jhonny Peralta

Francisco Martinez*

Austin Jackson

Regular Trade Bait

Charlie Furbush

Lester Oliveros*

Brad Penny

Ryan Perry (just because he is young)

David Purcey

Brayan Villareal

Ramon Santiago

Carlos Guillen

Brennan Boesch

Andy Dirks

Groundoutlio Ordonez

Casper Wells

PLEASE, JUST TAKE HIM!

Phil Coke

Brandon Inge

Don Kelly

Why would the Tigers be begging teams to take Coke rather than Purcey, who sucks?

I think this sums it up well.

You have to give up something to get value. I think Boesch has more value than Jackson and I think the Tiger can afford to give up Boesch. Young corner outfielders who can hit for power and decent average are in short supply now with pitching taking over the league. I actually think Boesch has more value than Joyce did when we traded him.

Yes, without question.

Yes, without question.

Wtf? How is that even debatable?

Someone really needs to explain to me how a guy with an .830 OPS and good defense at age 23 has less trade value than a guy with an .830 OPS with worse defense at age 26.