alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

There was an article on ESPN today about how the Mariners have concerns about Bedard's workload. He's already thrown more innings than he threw in either of the last 2 years. I feel like it'd be Washburn all over again.

Wandy intrigues me. He's signed to a reasonable deal and this lineup could use both a veteran and a lefty IMO. It would depend on the price of course. I wonder if Oliver,Coke and maybe an OF or reliever. I think both of those guys would go right into Houston's rotation and it saves them good money. Guthrie is also worth a look.

Edited by Nastradamus

When you look at the SP who may be eligible, you have to remember any pitcher(s) we could get would have to be better than our #5 (or, and #4) SP. Trading for a SP who has questionable stuff (especially from the N.L.) is just replacing one inconsistent SP for another.

Unless the Tigers can get a high quality SP, stay away from that. I would go after Blake and Carroll, but Reyes would be my top choice, only if he were to sign an extension before the trade. Otherwise, his stock goes down, IMO. A rental player that I would NEVER give up a top potential player for. I would love the Tigers to go after him this off-season. I would really hate to see an AL Central team sign him.

Again, a trade is pretty pointless unless you can get a couple of truly impact players this season. I'm not looking at just winning the AL Central, but actually competing for a championship. Would it be better if we were to make the playoffs as often as the

Twins just to lose badly in the 1st round?

Trading for a SP who has questionable stuff (especially from the N.L.) is just replacing one inconsistent SP for another.

Just because the stuff isn't top-flight doesn't mean the results won't be decent. I mean, Penny has a good fastball and a good curve, Porcello's got a good sinker, and Coke has (and I quote) "three quality pitches," and none of them seem able to get outs very well.

Maybe DD should stop looking at raw stuff guys to the exclusion of all other types of pitchers, and we wouldn't all be scratching our heads when a guy who throws 92 can't get out of the 4th inning.

Give me Guthrie, a control righty who throws 90 and throws 200 innings every year, over the back three in the Tigers rotation, absolutely. I'd love to have a guy like that.

Just a quick follow up;

The Dodgers should sell off impending free agents like Hiroki Kuroda, Jamey Carroll, and Casey Blake, writes Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, as well as non-tender candidate James Loney. How about MVP candidate Matt Kemp? "We trade him, and we're done," one member of the organization told Morosi.

How about Brian Roberts at 2nd ?

I think he's still suffering concussion-like symptoms from hitting himself in the helmet with his bat last year.

Ah, yay. It's that time of year where everyone has to figure out who is a buyer and who is a seller. Since we're a game up in a week division nearing the end of June, we're obviously buyers. What positions do you want to see upgraded? Who do you want to see us go after?

SP:

Hiroki Kuroda

Magic Wandy

John Danks

Jeremy Guthrie

Jason Marquis

Erik Bedard

RP:

Tyler Clippard

Mike Adams

2B/3B:

Jamey Carroll

Jeff Keppinger

Aramis Ramirez

Kelly Johnson

Ian Stewart

Wilson Betemit

Adam Kennedy

Casey Blake

OF:

Carlos Beltran

Josh Willingham

Notice, I left off Reyes, because I just don't see it as a possibility at this point in time.

if the tigers were in a week division we would of had no chance at the playoffs.

Bedard just went on the DL. Shocking!

Wandy's got a real difficult contract to pick up, making $7m this year (OK), $10m in 2012 (not bad), and $13m in 2013 (ouch), and the 2014 option for another $13m converts to a player option with a trade. That's $39.5m for 3.5 years.

Edited by RatkoVarda
$39.5m not $29.5m

Its a good chunk of change, but I also have no reason to believe Wandy isn't worth that kind of coin. Maybe we could get a little money back or something, but its not a huge concern IMO. It could be the difference in us keeping Valverde, but I'm ok with that. With Maggs,Guillen and Penny off the books for 28 mil or so, we need to spend any available money on a veteran SP, ideally a lefty. Coke and Oliver both don't look ready as lefties and Porcello doesn't look like a #3(or # anything ftm) right now either.

I'd love to go get Wandy if the price is right. If something like Oliver,Schlereth/Coke and one more piece got them talking, I'd definitely consider it. Though you probably won't like it at all now because you did the math wrong, its 39.5 over 3.5. Still, that's barely over 10 mil per. That's SP wage.

I guess we are taking a look at Aramis Ramirez. That's a guy I'd take on maybe, but I wouldn't pay his salary and I wouldn't give up much.

Edited by Nastradamus

Aramis has an even more problematic contract, as 2012 converts to a player option with a trade; that's $21.5m for 3b in 2012: $16m for Aramis and $5.5m for Inge

I think Wandy on a good team would be nasty, even in the AL IMO. Unfortunately, the contract is a bit steep to take on. I think Kuroda would get crushed by AL hitting. However, they would be the two options of all the pitchers listed I'd go after.

When you look at the SP who may be eligible, you have to remember any pitcher(s) we could get would have to be better than our #5 (or, and #4) SP. Trading for a SP who has questionable stuff (especially from the N.L.) is just replacing one inconsistent SP for another.

Unless the Tigers can get a high quality SP, stay away from that. I would go after Blake and Carroll, but Reyes would be my top choice, only if he were to sign an extension before the trade. Otherwise, his stock goes down, IMO. A rental player that I would NEVER give up a top potential player for. I would love the Tigers to go after him this off-season. I would really hate to see an AL Central team sign him.

Again, a trade is pretty pointless unless you can get a couple of truly impact players this season. I'm not looking at just winning the AL Central, but actually competing for a championship. Would it be better if we were to make the playoffs as often as the

Twins just to lose badly in the 1st round?

Given these facts, is there anyone worth audtioning in the farm system? In short, is Turner or Oliver ready?

Gio Gonzalez is the guy to target. But I think our best hope is to bring up Turner and hope Scherzer starts pitching like he did last year.

I'd love to see Carroll come to Detroit. He is getting no love in LA despite his pretty hot start this year. They keep moving him around both in the field and in the lineup, and he keeps playing steady. They moved him from 2B to SS when Furcal got hurt the first time, and then back to 2B when they brought up Dee Gordon. Now, they have him back at SS cause Dee Gordon hasn't been producing. He has batted in the 1,2,3,6,7, and 8 spots this year i am pretty sure. He is a great contact hitter who doesnt strikeout a bunch and will generally put the ball in play. He is good for a few steals, and is super baseball smart. He would be a HUGE upgrade over Ryan Raburn, and he could spot start at 3B and SS too. He even played a little outfield for awhile last year for LA. I dont know who we trade away to get him, but I think LA would be pretty willing to deal, cause i dont think they give him as much credit as he deserves.

Aramis has an even more problematic contract, as 2012 converts to a player option with a trade; that's $21.5m for 3b in 2012: $16m for Aramis and $5.5m for Inge

There's no way I'd take that on.

Should we be afraid of Wandy's DL stint this year for fluid in the elbow?

Whom do you guys suggest we trade away to get these guys?

Ok. Supposing we don't go for a rental and go for a trade I see the following players as non-essential and perhaps having some value to a trade partner.

1. Austin Jackson: He is cost controlled for four years, we've all seen the defense. The offense lacks, but it is starting to look like he'll have at least a little power. Dirks and Wells can play center. If there is a blockbuster I could see him as a piece in it.

2. Brennan Boesch: He is cost controlled. He is streaky or bad and other GM's will know this which hurts his value somewhat. The Tigers can use Dirks in his role. I could see him in a deal if a team needs a left handed bat and is willing to roll the dice on which Boesch they get.

3. Ryan Perry: Our bullpen has a lot of problems. So, trading any reliever might seem problematic. Sometimes Perry seems like the problem and sometimes he seems like the solution, however. A team that wants a good bullpen in 2012 might go for Perry as part of a trade.

4. Dirk Wellburn: I suppose there is not huge value in a fourth outfielder. We got 'em though.

I'm going on a limb and predicting a bigger trade than expected and a package from the Tigers that includes Jackson or Boesch.

If I'm wrong I'll come back and edit this post to predict that we trade a hard-throwing A-ball reliever for a 4.75 ERA pitcher on the last year of his contract.

Rumors online say we're shopping for a staring pitcher.

I think Scherzer already has that role.

So was Reggie Jackson in 1977 and 1978, and that turned out OK. :happy:

The whole room was cancerous and no one knew the difference.