alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

What makes you think he would get 20 MM in arb?

Sorry, $18.5MM. And because that's what he's made the last four seasons. I don't ever recall having seen an all-star caliber free agent who was offered arbitration receive a material pay cut from an arbitrator. Until I see that happen a few times, I will assume a baseline of the last years salary, even though the reality is that the player usually ends up with more.

That would mean the 2012 Tigers would basically spend $22m on 3b ($16m + $5.5m for Inge + $0.5m for Inge's 2013 buyout); that's not going to happen

Is it possible we could include Inge in the deal for Aramis? Instead of the Cubs paying part of A-Ram's salary, they'd take back Inge, as sort of a stopgap for either Martinez or Gaynor, whoever they'd get as their 3B'man of the future.

Just an idea...

That would mean the 2012 Tigers would basically spend $22m on 3b ($16m + $5.5m for Inge + $0.5m for Inge's 2013 buyout); that's not going to happen

Dude, you have to view Inge as so much more than just a 3B. The guy can do it all. He's like a prize at the bottom of your cereal box.

Sorry, $18.5MM. And because that's what he's made the last four seasons. I don't ever recall having seen an all-star caliber free agent who was offered arbitration receive a material pay cut from an arbitrator. Until I see that happen a few times, I will assume a baseline of the last years salary, even though the reality is that the player usually ends up with more.

Do you ever recall seeing an all-star caliber player in his mid-30s accepting arbitration? There is no precedent for arbitrator rulings on players past their prime.

How often do you see a player with over 12 years service time actually go to arbitration? In the last 5 years there have been only 2 players who have accepted arbitration with over 10 years service time. Only one has gone to the arbitrator for a decision.

In 2009 David Weathers had 15.044 years service time and signed for a $200k raise, $1.1M under what he wanted.

In 2008 Mark Loretta had 12.011 years service time and lost arbitration taking a reduction of $750K, a full $2.15 under what he wanted.

Not a lot of 34 year-old players are looking for a 1 year contract, especially those who just put up a good season.

Sagnam makes my point well. It's incredibly rare for a high caliber player to accept arbitration. Additionally, arbitration cases such as these do not consider a player's past contract. Either way, there is little support for using a baseline of the prior year salary. He'd be looking at fair market value for a one year deal for a player of his caliber. That's how it works.

Now, it's certainly possible that the mets are so ridiculously broke that they can't possibly take the risk of getting saddled with an all star OF for one year at 12 MM. I don't think that is likely, but it is possible. I find it much more likely that a team would offer arbitration to a player like him fully expecting that the player would decline, considering players as good as him almost always decline and take their three year 30MM deal from the market.

I might take Zambrano if the Cubs eat most of the money on the deal. Or even half of it. But I wouldn't trade a lot to get him.

Bedard is interesting but the Mariners are in the race so they won't trade him.

Any other potential starter candidate (with the possible exception of Dempster) is nothing but innings fodder and I'd rather just call up Turner.

Bedard is interesting but the Mariners are in the race so they won't trade him.

They are 7.5 back now. That's one more game back than the Twins and in a division with two better teams. If the Twins are toast then so are the Mariners.

They are 7.5 back now. That's one more game back than the Twins and in a division with two better teams. If the Twins are toast then so are the Mariners.

You think the Twinkies are toast?

Dude, you have to view Inge as so much more than just a 3B. The guy can do it all. He's like a prize at the bottom of your cereal box.

Yeah....did you know he can kick a 50 yard field goal? Or that he can dunk from a stand still under the basket?

worst.....cereal......EVER......!

Jon Morosi via twitter:

#Tigers do have interest in Carlos Beltran, source confirms, but team's current focus is trading for a starting pitcher. #Mets

For the moment, though, #Tigers aren't having serious dialogue with #Royals (Francis) or #Astros (Wandy, Myers).

More Morosi:

#Tigers aren't pursuing Ryan Dempster, either, from what I'm told. #Cubs

Here is the MLBTR writeup:

Tigers Have Interest In Beltran, Focused On Pitching

By Mike Axisa [July 14 at 11:44am CST]

The Tigers have interest in Carlos Beltran, but a source tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports that the team is still focused on finding a starting pitcher (all Twitter links). They are not having any serious talks with the Royals about Jeff Francis, with the Astros about Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez, or with the Cubs about Ryan Dempster.

Detroit has gotten very little production out of left field (.251/.296/.387) and center field (.244/.320/.369) this year, so Beltran would be an obvious help. Tim Dierkes wrote about their left field plight earlier this week. Their rotation is middle of the pack with a 4.08 ERA, but that is boosted by the great Justin Verlander (2.15). Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, and Brad Penny all have 4.50+ ERA's, and Phil Coke (4.88 ERA) has just been replaced by rookie Charlie Furbush. The Tigers reportedly have some interest in Hiroki Kuroda.

I bet we end up with Beltran but no pitcher. I could see Oliver and f mart going to new York.

Beltran's definitely a better player, but it's not by all that much.

Come on, Beltran is far better than Magglio Ordonez.

More on what it will take to get him:

Olney On Market For Carlos Beltran: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

The Mets have indicated that they will hold onto Carlos Beltran until they get exactly what they want for him, according to ESPN.com’s Buster Olney. They believe that a team in need of offense will give in to their demands and surrender a top prospect for Beltran, who earns $18.5MM this year.

Mets GM Sandy Alderson traded Francisco Rodriguez to Milwaukee this week, partly because they wanted to move before the market for relief pitching developed further. But the Mets believe Beltran is the best available outfielder, so they’re not in a hurry to trade him.

The Indians aren’t limiting themselves to small-budget options, according to Olney. Beltran would fit on the Pirates, the Tigers could be interested and the Giants would love to acquire him. MLBTR's Tim Dierkes recently named those teams, plus the Red Sox, Rays, White Sox and Reds as contenders that could use a corner outfield boost. Here's a look at what Beltran was traded for seven years ago.

NO DICE ON TURNER.

More:

•Though Carlos Beltran has drawn lots of interest, the Mets aren't actively discussing him with other teams at this point, Alderson told Rubin (on Twitter). The Mets are looking for a "big-time" prospect for Beltran, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney, who suggests the Mets could keep the outfielder if they aren't offered exactly what they want (Twitter links).