alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

MORE SURPRISING NEWS:

Pyro still hates the Tigers front office and any move they have made, or were going to make.

I like plenty of moves the Tigers make, sorry if being interested in a pitcher who doesn't strike anyone out at the MLB or MILB level, and who doesn't possess elite control doesn't fill me with glee.

Thread: Tigers trade OF Ryan Raburn for SP Felix Hernandez

Pyro's Reply: Well, there goes our OF depth. Thanks Dumbrowski.

Yep, you've got me. Look at all those trades Dombrowski has made that I hated that turned out great for the Tigers.

David Purcey - Locking down the back of the bullpen

Curtis Granderson - washed up and old

Austin Jackson - Sustainable BABIP gives us an elite leadoff man for years to come

Matt Joyce - 4th outfielder, can't believe anyone was upset we traded him

I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong, here's a few to make you happy:

Brennan Boesch - I didn't think he'd ever improve his plate discipline, and thus wanted rid of him, I was wrong

Jhonny Peralta - I thought he was out of shape and would never get back to the levels of production he'd had earlier in his career, wrong

Edwin Jackson - I honestly thought he'd be out of MLB by this time, he's had some up and downs but this year he really bounced back and became a solid pitcher.

I'm certainly not afraid to admit I've been wrong about a lot of players, and I'm sure I will be again. That doesn't change the fact the Tigers have made a lot of crappy moves over the last few years. I'd love to see the argument for how great all of Dombrowski's moves have been since 2008 though. Obviously spending 130 million to have an 85 win team in a weak division was the plan all along.

Edited by pyrotigers

So anybody who doesn't strike out 8 or more per 9 seems to be mediocre pitchers to you. Fister is one of the best at walking batters. Not sure what you mean by lacks elite control? Lee and Halladay both won Cy Young's in the AL by striking out 6 per 9. If Fister had the elite control they had, he would be a Cy Young pitcher, so no we didn't trade for a Cy Young pitcher.

I like plenty of moves the Tigers make, sorry if being interested in a pitcher who doesn't strike anyone out at the MLB or MILB level, and who doesn't possess elite control doesn't fill me with glee.

Yep, you've got me. Look at all those trades Dombrowski has made that I hated that turned out great for the Tigers.

David Purcey - Locking down the back of the bullpen

Curtis Granderson - washed up and old

Austin Jackson - Sustainable BABIP gives us an elite leadoff man for years to come

Matt Joyce - 4th outfielder, can't believe anyone was upset we traded him

I'll gladly admit when I'm wrong, here's a few to make you happy:

Brennan Boesch - I didn't think he'd ever improve his plate discipline, and thus wanted rid of him, I was wrong

Jhonny Peralta - I thought he was out of shape and would never get back to the levels of production he'd had earlier in his career, wrong

Edwin Jackson - I honestly thought he'd be out of MLB by this time, he's had some up and downs but this year he really bounced back and became a solid pitcher.

I'm certainly not afraid to admit I've been wrong about a lot of players, and I'm sure I will be again. That doesn't change the fact the Tigers have made a lot of crappy moves over the last few years. I'd love to see the argument for how great all of Dombrowski's moves have been since 2008 though. Obviously spending 130 million to have an 85 win team in a weak division was the plan all along.

A lot of the moves that caused the Tigers to have a bloated payroll happened prior to 2008.

Here's a tip sheet for everybody, I like:

Pitchers who don't walk many and strike people out

Batters who hit for power and walk a lot (have a high OBP)

I dislike

Pitchers who have high walk rates, low strike out rates, or worst of all, both

Batters with poor plate discipline, or who do not hit for any power

Spending lots of money, draft picks, or resources on relief pitchers

There you go, that's how you can decide whether I'll like a trade or not. When Dave Dombrowski stops doing lots of the things I dislike, I'll stop complaining about him. If it's easier for you to believe I just have a personal vendetta against the guy, then by all means carry on.

A lot of the moves that caused the Tigers to have a bloated payroll happened prior to 2008.

And a lot of their moves post-2008 were motivated, in part, to address the bloated pay-roll brought about by the moves referenced above.

So anybody who doesn't strike out 8 or more per 9 seems to be mediocre pitchers to you. Fister is one of the best at walking batters. Not sure what you mean by lacks elite control? Lee and Halladay both won Cy Young's in the AL by striking out 6 per 9. If Fister had the elite control they had, he would be a Cy Young pitcher, so no we didn't trade for a Cy Young pitcher.

Fister actually has what I consider elite control, which is why as I have said like 500x I'm perfectly OK with the trade, I think Fister will be a fine (but not great) pitcher for us for a few years. I don't think Tommy Hunter is nearly as good as Fister. I think Dombrowski only liked Hunter because he has a low ERA the last two years, I think that is a big problem with Dombrowski, being too easily fooled by things like that (see: Purcey). That is my issue with this rumored trade.

There is also nothing wrong with being a mediocre pitcher, a guy who only strikes out 5 or 6 per 9 probably is mediocre, I'll be glad to have two of those guys on the staff. You'll notice I haven't complained too much about Rick Porcello this year, it was Phil Coke and Brad Penny I hate, look at their K/BB, look at their K rates, compare those to Fister. Yeah, there's a reason I'm OK with Fister and hate those guys, and it's not because they're so similar.

Here's a tip sheet for everybody, I like:

Pitchers who don't walk many and strike people out

Batters who hit for power and walk a lot (have a high OBP)

I dislike

Pitchers who have high walk rates, low strike out rates, or worst of all, both

Batters with poor plate discipline, or who do not hit for any power

Spending lots of money, draft picks, or resources on relief pitchers

There you go, that's how you can decide whether I'll like a trade or not. When Dave Dombrowski stops doing lots of the things I dislike, I'll stop complaining about him. If it's easier for you to believe I just have a personal vendetta against the guy, then by all means carry on.

You're in your 20's arent you?

My problem is that the real negative posters don't post anymore, I miss the glory days when I was the Pollyanna Dombrowski lover forced to argue with the T-Rok and TigersMeow's of the world

My problem is that the real negative posters don't post anymore, I miss the glory days when I was the Pollyanna Dombrowski lover forced to argue with the T-Rok and TigersMeow's of the world

And that is a bad thing? Negative posters annoy the hell out of me personally.

negative-waves-oddball-demotivational-poster-1258845583.jpg

Tonight should be fun from the trades...

Jackson starting for the DBacks @ 2:10

Furbush starting for the M's @ 3:40

Fister starting for the Tigs @ 7:05

Cleveland doesn't have Ublado until Friday

Tonight should be fun from the trades...

Jackson starting for the DBacks @ 2:10

Furbush starting for the M's @ 3:40

Fister starting for the Tigs @ 7:05

Cleveland doesn't have Ublado until Friday

Cardinals.

Yeah them too.

I actually went to see if I missed another Jackson trade. It's wasn't a stretch to think he'd been traded to the DBacks again.

And that is a bad thing? Negative posters annoy the hell out of me personally.

negative-waves-oddball-demotivational-poster-1258845583.jpg

There's a fine line between negative and realistic. The former drive me nuts, and I honestly think it's nothing more than a troll effort. The latter, which I fall into, are absolutely needed.

Hey, I like t-rok. I didn't find anything that he posted to be more/less wrong than what other people post.

Edited by ballmich

This place really has lost a lot of negativity over the last year or so.

Another Dombrowski failure.

I was thinking, if it's in the budget, we could probably send a few posters to a negativity seminar or conference.

Hey, I like t-rok. I didn't find anything that he posted to be more/less wrong than what other people post.

I never really disliked T-rok, but after years of hearing him ***** about DD handing out large contracts to guys on the downside, I thought it pretty telling when he complained that DD let Fernando Rodney go. If anyone should have backed the idea of letting Rodney go because he would be overvalued on the free-agent market and likely to decline, it was T-rok. But T-rok was all about how DD screwed the Tigers again by not signng Fernando and using save numbers to argue how effective Rodney was.

I didn't say he was more wrong, just more negative