alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

Michael Young is definitely not a free agent. That's the main reason I hate the idea of trading for him: he has 2 really expensive years past this one. If this was his contract year, I would be so much more amenable to the idea.

I'm not sure why moving Peralta off SS is an option. I don't know if he's hitting better because he's back at short or not, but he was not happy playing 3rd in Cleveland and moving him back there is a colossal risk. Make the new guy move. SS is occupied for the next two years.

In regards to the other ideas, Reyes and Wright probably aren't worth the cost. I'm definitely ok with Keppinger/Baker/Carroll/Blake/Betemit, with varying degrees of preference on those guys. Cuddyer is pretty similar to Raburn. I like JJ Hardy a lot as a player, but I'm not sure if he'd be worth all that much as a 2B or a 3B, and I don't think he'll hit the market, either: Orioles like him a lot as their future SS.

Honestly though, with so much of the lineup playing well, I wouldn't consider 2B or 3B offseason priorities.

Edited by The Truman Show

I also like bringing Omar Infante back as a sort of an outside the box option. He's got a really low BABIP right now and I think he could have a strong second half. Would be a cheap option for a midseason trade or as an offseason pickup.

I also like bringing Omar Infante back as a sort of an outside the box option. He's got a really low BABIP right now and I think he could have a strong second half. Would be a cheap option for a midseason trade or as an offseason pickup.

I wondered if and when this idea would be brought up. I think I would give a hard look at bringing Omar back.

I also like bringing Omar Infante back as a sort of an outside the box option.

Just keep the packaging! Infante has had some pretty good years with Atlanta but this year he's hitting .251 BA with an OPS of .601.

Don Kelly is hitting .245 BA with an OPS of .651 this year. And don't forget Don Kelly can close out ballgames as a pitcher!

(But I do agree, Infante is an option...)

PS: Quick shout out to Mr. Bigglesworth and Truman Show, I totally blew it when I said David Wright and Michael Young are "free agents" I was trying to say they were in the mix of free agent & trade candidates that may be available to the Tigers and I did a super sucky job of stating that (I was like,..um....wrong...). Both of you are correct that neither are free agents and thanks for keeping me honest!!

Edited by STLTiger69

WTF? Axford has 23 saves for them... don't get that move at all, unless he's going to be the setup guy. Plus KROD is a first class DB... if I were brewerfan I'd be pretty peeved about this move, honestly.

Oh nevermind I see they picked him up to be the 8th inning guy, and furthermore his giant option for next year kicks in after a certain number of finished games... hahaha good I hate that guy.

The Brewers don't have to pay his salary this year, won't have to let his option vest, and probably won't trade any prospects worth a damn. They pretty much get him for free, and the Mets win by not having to worry about that horrific 2012 option anymore. Good for the Brewers, since their bullpen aside from Axford is complete garbage. It's a pretty unique circumstance though, and it doesn't mean that the Mets are just going to give away Reyes and co. now.

For the Mets, this is great because for $5M this season, the K-Rod's contract option for 2012 is now the Brewer's headache.....

K-Rod's $17.5M option for 2012 becomes guaranteed if;

1. 55 games finished in 2011

2. 100 games finished in 2010-2011

3. Doctors declare player is healthy after 2011

Oh, and K-Rod just hired Scott Boras who will likely sue the Brewers if they get cute and don't give K-Rod the opportunities to get his option.

Kind of makes you wonder what money the Brewers will have stuffed under the mattress to cover Prince Fielders new 2012+ contract doesn't it?!?

Would you trade Turner for Rasmus? I'd damn well consider it.

There's not much I would trade Turner for, but Rasmus is the type of player that would make me consider it as well.

Infante spent most of the two years that his Detroit tenure overlapped with Leyland's in Jim's dog house. I'm convinced he was traded away in the first place because of this, though I have no proof of it. I'd be highly surprised if Detroit brought him back.

I don't think the Sox move anybody except maybe try to move Edwin Jackson or Buehrle since they have Humber, Danks, Floyd and Peavy signed for next season so moving one of the four that are signed next season doesn't really make any sense.

They can also probably afford to move Quentin, although I'm against it, because they can replace him with Viciedo and when Pierre is gone they can promote De Aza, whom I wanted in LF and to lead off since the they acquired him a few years ago.

Rumor I've been hearing, dunno if its legit or not, is Quentin to Atlanta for Brandon Beachy. That would give us 5 starters for next season and like mentioned above, we have replacements for Pierre and Quentin in AAA Charlotte.

There's not much I would trade Turner for, but Rasmus is the type of player that would make me consider it as well.

When I saw Truman first propose the idea.... running through my head was the question of, would I trade Porcello for Rasmus. They are both young, both underperforming right now and both deemed to have hugh upside.

Even though I would be very tempted.... history tells me to always keep the pitcher if everything else seems equal.

For the Mets, this is great because for $5M this season, the K-Rod's contract option for 2012 is now the Brewer's headache.....

K-Rod's $17.5M option for 2012 becomes guaranteed if;

1. 55 games finished in 2011

2. 100 games finished in 2010-2011

3. Doctors declare player is healthy after 2011

Oh, and K-Rod just hired Scott Boras who will likely sue the Brewers if they get cute and don't give K-Rod the opportunities to get his option.

Kind of makes you wonder what money the Brewers will have stuffed under the mattress to cover Prince Fielders new 2012+ contract doesn't it?!?

The Brewers already have a really good closer. Boras and Rodriguez can sue all they want, but he's not going to win that lawsuit unless Axford gets hurt.

Heyman On K-Rod, Sabathia, Fielder, Beltran: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

FWIW, SI's Heyman still reporting Tigers could be suitors for Carlos Beltran.

Nothing firm.

I'd take him if the cost isn't too high but I'd still prefer the 3B or 2B upgrade and another SP.

However, if Guillen comes back and can produce then Beltran would look good in the OF even if 3B remains a huge freakin black hole.

The Brewers already have a really good closer. Boras and Rodriguez can sue all they want, but he's not going to win that lawsuit unless Axford gets hurt.

I pretty much agree. There's risk here for the Brewers, but it's really only that Axford is injured over the next month or maybe month and a half. If that happens, they pretty much have to let K-Rod close, and the 2012 option is in jeopardy of vesting. Short of that, it would be hard to imagine K-Rod accumulating the necessary GF to vest his option. And to file a grievance when he agreed to be traded to a team with an established closer, would pretty much be a waste of time.

I think K-Rod wants to be a FA, and a return to the Angels for 'reasonable' money this winter is probably very likely.

Heyman On K-Rod, Sabathia, Fielder, Beltran: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

FWIW, SI's Heyman still reporting Tigers could be suitors for Carlos Beltran.

Nothing firm.

I'd take him if the cost isn't too high but I'd still prefer the 3B or 2B upgrade and another SP.

However, if Guillen comes back and can produce then Beltran would look good in the OF even if 3B remains a huge freakin black hole.

I've been mentioned Beltran since this past winter. He's the best bat that will likely be traded this season, so you have to think the Tigers will at least kick the tires on that trade.

I've been mentioned Beltran since this past winter. He's the best bat that will likely be traded this season, so you have to think the Tigers will at least kick the tires on that trade.

It's just a shame because it will basically mean we spent money on Ordonez for another season pretty much for no reason.....but, an upgrade is an upgrade.

I'd rather have Beltran than Ordonez at this point anyway. His 28 doubles, 13 or so homers, and 58 RBI's look pretty good right about now.

Sorry, hit this in the other/wrong thread

(more speculation I suppose)

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

Tigers are probably biggest wildcard in the Carlos Beltran sweepstakes. It'll come down who will absorb most $; DET has done that in past.

As long as Axford is healthy and effective, any grievance filed would be beyond laughable.

I don't get the Beltran stuff. Sure he's probably better than Maggs, but the last thing the Tigers need is another OF. What, is Maggs going to shift to DH, Martinez to 1st/C and Cabrera/Avila to 3rd? Not likely.