Motor City Sonics

Radical Realignment.

In the short term:

Basic % chance a team makes the playoffs under existing system:

East & West: 8/15 = .533

Basic % chance a team makes the playoffs under new system:

In East: 4/7 = .571

In West: 4/8 = .500

What standings would look like if in place this year (of course I use the leafs):

1 BOSTON 0.700

2 FLORIDA 0.630

3 TORONTO 0.593

4 BUFFALO 0.558 - ^^ Playoffs ^^

5 OTTAWA 0.537

6 MONTREAL 0.500

7 TAMPA BAY 0.462

I think the Flyers-Rangers-Pens conference gets by far the best deal in terms of travel.

Both eastern conferences have 7 teams, while the west has 8. If this system was in place last year, the LA KINGS, who owned the 12th best record in the NHL, would have missed the playoffs. How is this good for the game?

T&P Fan: wrong about hockey :)

I love this realignment. From a personal perspective, it means fewer chances for me to see the Wings in Vancouver, but the home and home against every team in the league was my main want. I like the playoff format, that's where rivalries will be built, and makes your seed within a division relevant again. I hope they go the re-seeding route for the 3rd and 4th rounds, with the division winner with the highest points playing the division winner with the fewest points, rather than pre-fiixing that the Central winner will play the Pacific winner no matter what. I would have preferred the name "division"rather than "conference", but when has the NHL ever cared about historical continuity.

The article I read said they would be reseeding it, allowing you to play almost any team in the Stanley cup except those that are in your 'division/conference/group/love circle'.

As I posted, having Florida or Columbus move to Seattle would be great to balance things out.

Seattle doesn't have an NHL capable arena.

Since it's very doubtul that they will add 2 teams, I wonder how much of this plan is thinking about getting rid of two teams. Phoenix and who?

*Not that I really think they will get rid of them, but who would be a second team if it came to that.*

Key Arena couldn't host hockey games?

It's hockey alignment would make it (by far) the lowest capacity arena in the NHL at 11,000. And as we all saw with the Sonics saga a couple of years ago, Seattle isn't going to throw a ton of public investment into an arena.

It's hockey alignment would make it (by far) the lowest capacity arena in the NHL at 11,000. And as we all saw with the Sonics saga a couple of years ago, Seattle isn't going to throw a ton of public investment into an arena.

Wow, I had no idea that the capacity was that low. Seattle has little interest in footing the bill for a new arena, that is true. I have wondered though if Portland would be a good market. They added an MLS team and it is doing well there, I went to a game last time I was in the Rose City, really cool experience actually.

Winners and losers in the NHL’s new 4-conference realignment - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Phoenix moves from an 8team "Western Conference" to Quebec City (Who is building a new arena) into the 7 team "Original 6/East", giving them 8 teams.

Bettman said "we aren't planning for anyone to move (he obviously won't admit it) but this format leaves room for easy adjustment.

Don't forget that one of the big winners include the Northeastern US teams, who are assured of being relatively fresh as a daisy for playoff times because of less travel and increasing the probability that one of their mammoth markets (New York #1, Philly #4, Boston #7, Washington #9) ends up in the Stanley Cup final.

Wow, I had no idea that the capacity was that low. Seattle has little interest in footing the bill for a new arena, that is true. I have wondered though if Portland would be a good market. They added an MLS team and it is doing well there, I went to a game last time I was in the Rose City, really cool experience actually.

Portland seems to go the way Paul Allen does. I.E. if Allen wants a team, Portland will probably get one, if he doesn't, they won't. I think he's been both someone whose snubbed the idea of owning an NHL franchise but has had a change of heart or two on being an NHL owner. As I also understand Allen, besides owning the Blazers and being a billionaire, owns the Rose Garden Arena. The Rose Garden is suited for hockey and Portland's WHL team, the WinterHawks play there. I also believe they're getting a somewhat decent draw at the gate for major junior hockey. I don't know how much a correlation you can make between what a juniors team does as far as fan attendance, corporate sponsorship, etc. However, I'd much rather see Portland get a team over Las Vegas, Houston or Kansas City if there is movement of one of the US NHL teams.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Naw man, I think the realignment stunk. I am happy with the events that unfolded.

Biggs, bet back on.

Gary Bettman reads this site and has recognized me at Toledo Walleye games and likes my realignment idea posted up above. OK, maybe not quite.....

I think the playoff system was just rather silly, confining the first 2 rounds of matchups to within the same divisions. The imbalance of teams/division didn't make sense, especially when combined with the playoff scenarios.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing hockey and/or basketball try something different within sports playoffs and seed all playoff teams 1-16 and have at it that way rather than stick with traditional conference alignments. I think that hockey is in the best shape to do this as its all star game is set up in such a way that conferences are not the teams (correct me if I'm wrong, as I mentioned before, I am not a big follower of the NHL, but they are planning to employ the same all star game scenario as last season where captains pick sides, yes?).

From the outside looking in, I can see where an Original Six division creates an allure to it that other leagues would not be able to duplicate. Maybe I'm in the minority on this, and possibly likely so. But it would give hockey traditionalists something to buy into a bit, the fact that thier sport's orignial teams still compete directly for a regular season pennant.

The nature of the schedule allows for this quite well. An 80 game schedule can easily be set up to have every team visit every NHL city at least once every year, something that the NHL apparently thought was lacking in its current setup.

The new alignment that has been making noise lately is pretty close to the one first proposed in this thread.

Boston

Buffalo

Detroit

Florida

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Carolina

Columbus

New Jersey

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Washington

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Anaheim

Calgary

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Wings players are already saying they would love this:

Red Wings welcome reports of move to Eastern Conference with optimism | Detroit Red Wings | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

I would rather swap out the Florida teams for Columbus and Pittsburgh. Notwithstanding that, I love this idea.

My question is, what happens when Phoenix moves to Quebec? Who's the most likely candidate to get pushed to the West? The Red Wings would probably be the most likely ones, would they not? Especially since as a franchise, they could be useful to help prop up the attendance for weaker franchises out there. For the good of the league, dontcha know.

Also: I came across a study on optimum franchise realignment by a couple of guys in the US Military Academy Math Department, of all places, their conclusion is that the optimum alignment for a four conference set-up would have the Wings in a conference with the Hawks, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Toronto. For what that’s worth.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1302.4735.pdf

Are all the NHL franchises profitable? Because if not, I do not see the league expanding.

I also doubt the NHL goes to Seattle if the NBA gets there first. I don't think the market is big enough and sports-minded enough to carry major league franchises in the big four sports.

Are all the NHL franchises profitable? Because if not, I do not see the league expanding.

I also doubt the NHL goes to Seattle if the NBA gets there first. I don't think the market is big enough and sports-minded enough to carry major league franchises in the big four sports.

I think expansion is in the cards. Not because every franchise is profitable, because only 2/3 are. But because the owners lust over the expansion fees which they would share. Expansion fees are the NHL equivalent of home equity loans.

I used to feel that way about Seattle but am starting to come around. It is like the Denver market in some ways. Seattle is the 13th largest U.S. market. I think the NHL will end up there within 5 years.

Edited by lordstanley

I think expansion is in the cards. Not because every franchise is profitable, because only 2/3 are. But because the owners lust over the expansion fees which they would share. Expansion fees are the NHL equivalent of home equity loans.

I used to feel that way about Seattle but am starting to come around. It is like Denver market in some ways. Seattle is the 13th largest U.S. market. I think the NHL will end up there within 5 years.

And by the sounds of it, they will have an AHL ready building just a couple hours away with no tenant in Abbotsford.

And by the sounds of it, they will have an AHL ready building just a couple hours away with no tenant in Abbotsford.

We will see. Speculation that if the Abbotsford Heat to Utica, NY rumour is true it will be linked with a move of the Canucks' farm team from Manitoba to Abbotsford. The Heat is doing miserably at the gate and probably would continue to draw poorly in the Abbotsford area unless they got the Canucks'.

My only question is after the dust settles, where will radical be aligned?