IdahoBert

Leyland Fires Off At Media...Again

I wouldn't call it "no big deal" but everyone vents once in a while. Especially when you're as constantly stressed as Leyland probably is. These guys are human. It's definitely not ok to do, but I understand that it's going to happen from time to time.

I don't remember Beck ever writing a highly critical or controversial column about anyone. He strictly reports the news. So, it's odd that Leyland would go off on him. The entire Detroit sports media is as mild as as I've seen anywhere. Imagine what it would be like if Leyland worked in Boston and had to deal with Dan Shaughnessy every day.

What exactly did Leyland say? If Beck's was asking a question and Leyland gave him a rude answer, wouldn't Beck publish that answer? The Detroit media gets butthurt pretty easily. Other cities maybe tougher, but they don't cry when the manager is mean. What the hell would the Detroit media do if Ozzie Guillen was manager?

I don't care what they do in other cities. I don't live there. I do care how the manager represents the Detroit Tigers and in this situation he did it poorly.

I don't care what they do in other cities. I don't live there. I do care how the manager represents the Detroit Tigers and in this situation he did it poorly.

What did he say? I have yet to find any quote.

I interpret, probably wrongly, Leyland's deportment vis-a-vis the media as a barometer of his contract status. The longer he goes without gaining an extension, the ruder he becomes.

What did he say? I have yet to find any quote.

Where there's smoke there's fire. He's gotten pissy plenty of times in the past, so he probably did here too. I don't think it really matters what he said, it's now just a debate on whether a manager should get lippy with the media or not. I personally don't mind if he does, he's human, but I can see why people would be turned off from it.

Where there's smoke there's fire. He's gotten pissy plenty of times in the past, so he probably did here too. I don't think it really matters what he said, it's now just a debate on whether a manager should get lippy with the media or not. I personally don't mind if he does, he's human, but I can see why people would be turned off from it.

I want to know what was said before I buy into the smoke. I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. Detroit media is notorious for being drama queens. When Jimmy Kimmel said they would set Detroit on fire when the Pistons won, you would think someone killed the reporters dog.

He said, "I will cap your *** if you ask me another stupid mother****ing question like that. My glock , your ***."

I don't remember Beck ever writing a highly critical or controversial column about anyone. He strictly reports the news. So, it's odd that Leyland would go off on him. The entire Detroit sports media is as mild as as I've seen anywhere. Imagine what it would be like if Leyland worked in Boston and had to deal with Dan Shaughnessy every day.

That would be epic. Let's trade Leyland to Boston for Francona just to see.

One thing that I love Leyland for is not holding a five minute presser after every single game like Girardi and Tito do.

You are sooooo right about this! The Detroit media is unbelievably easy on Tiger managers. Rob Parker is the only real muckracker in the Detroit sports scene that I recall and he barely paid attention to baseball.

Any Detroit manager who would complain about the likes of Beck, Gage, and the gang has a very thin skin. I suspect that Leyland's issue, whatever it was, was a momentary lapse. Normally I really like what I hear from Leyland.

He's acting like a man that doesn't care anymore. It's like not wearing a suit to a job that requires one, or not replying to emails because you're too above it all. Interacting with the media is a part of the job. If you don't want to do it, leave. He's not acting professionally.

It kind of reminds me of Lloyd Carr when he was ready to step down at Michigan, but worse.

I wouldn't call it "no big deal" but everyone vents once in a while. Especially when you're as constantly stressed as Leyland probably is. These guys are human. It's definitely not ok to do, but I understand that it's going to happen from time to time.

The problem is that Leyland has that "attitude" on almost every post game show. You don't have to be a psychologist to sense Leyland's disdain for the media. If anyone of us asked those same questions we would get the same ticked off, "you're stupid" response from him. Jim fails to understand that he's in the entertainment business and the fans, writers etc. deserve just a modicum of respect, in this regard he absolutely pales in comparison to Sparky!

It was a Beck he was a prick too, Jason Beck, Beck is not exactly Rob Parker.

Jason Beck is probably less threatening than Big Bird from Sesame Street.

Leyland answers every question with "Well......" in a tone of "Yeah, I guess if you say so but..." or "Yeah, no **** sherlock, (I can't believe I have to do this) ...."

Leyland answers every question with "Well......" in a tone of "Yeah, I guess if you say so but..." or "Yeah, no **** sherlock, (I can't believe I have to do this) ...."

Maybe the Tigers should hire Crash Davis and have Leyland brush up on his cliches.

This seems to fit with Leyland's rant a couple weeks ago where he went off about reporters second guessing him who had, in Leyland's estimation, very little knowledge of the game.

(Dang, I wish I could see that interview again to determine if he was mad at Beck for second guessing him, maybe Leyland is still mad.)

He went off on Jeff Riger from 97.1

It was another innocent question being asked.

I interpret, probably wrongly, Leyland's deportment vis-a-vis the media as a barometer of his contract status. The longer he goes without gaining an extension, the ruder he becomes.

Wow. A Rob Jones sighting....those are quite rare.

In my case, I've found it interesting that the longer he goes without gaining an extension, the more clearly he speaks. He used to mumble all the time. Now he speaks perfectly clearly, like he used to in that "This Little Light of Mine" commercial a few years back.

If you read this Jason, thanks for asking the right questions.
Jason and I have had our opposite moments, but I like the guy, usually talk to him during ST, like his articles and now he edits his own teaser headlines (this was my issue with him).

Jason Beck is probably less threatening than Big Bird from Sesame Street.

I figured it out. The two went to high school rivals and the grudge is one of ferocious alumus pride. Beck went to Maumee High School. Leyland went to Perrysburg High School. The schools are located just outside of Toledo, on opposite sides of the Maumee River from each other.

I don't normally like to do this, because it isn't possible for y'all to substantiate what I write, but I have a little bit of insider info for your consideration.

My wife is a member of the media, has a press pass, and has both interviewed, and been present during others' interviews of, Jim Leyland many times. Her basic take on Jim is that if he doesn't want to answer a question he usually is evasive initially, and if pinned down directly, will simply say he won't answer it. He does this often.

In her opinion, he plays favorites and holds grudges with reporters. If you are in his doghouse, he really won't answer anything meaningful you ask of him. It appears to her his favorties are usually those who don't ask him tough questions and are not openly critical. Her biggest criticism is that he has created an environment where reporters really can't press him on an issue because it will essentially mean he won't talk with them in a meaningful manner for a month or so, and that is bad for their job. She was not present when this alleged event took place.

Take it for what it is worth.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I don't normally like to do this, because it isn't possible for y'all to substantiate what I write, but I have a little bit of insider info for your consideration.

My wife is a member of the media, has a press pass, and has both interviewed, and been present during others' interviews of, Jim Leyland many times. Her basic take on Jim is that if he doesn't want to answer a question he usually is evasive initially, and if pinned down directly, will simply say he won't answer it. He does this often.

In her opinion, he plays favorites and holds grudges with reporters. If you are in his doghouse, he really won't answer anything meaningful you ask of him. It appears to her his favorties are usually those who don't ask him tough questions and are not openly critical. Her biggest criticism is that he has created an environment where reporters really can't press him on an issue because it will essentially mean he won't talk with them in a meaningful manner for a month or so, and that is bad for their job. She was not present when this alleged event took place.

Easy to believe. Leyland is a grumpy old S.O.B. And although it would be nice for him to answer the questions I would rather he just improve his in-game decisions.

I can deal with media mishaps, I cant deal with Daniel Schlereth every pitching when the game is within 1.

I don't believe you because these guys insist they don't "read the papers or listen to the radio" so how would he know who is criticial???

:cheeky: