DaBishop

question about contracts during strike/lockout

do contract years get counted? If we don't have a season will we lose one of the years of Rips contract? Probably don't need a new thread for this but this forum could use more threads so there it is.

I cant seem to find an answer. I wonder if that is something that will be negotiated/decided in the new CBA?

I am not sure but I saw some rumors before the draft that the pistons were less worried about Rip's contract (and therefore wouldn't be doing the Rip plus 8th pick to Cleveland) because a possible lockout would make it a one year deal.

Del is on to it. This would just be another detail that would have to be settled in the new CBA. There's no law governing this sort of thing, so the owners and players would just have to reach an agreement on how the cancelled season would be counted.

I am not sure but I saw some rumors before the draft that the pistons were less worried about Rip's contract (and therefore wouldn't be doing the Rip plus 8th pick to Cleveland) because a possible lockout would make it a one year deal.

The rumor was based on an assumption, no one knows how that will play out. The new CBA will have to clarify that.

do contract years get counted? If we don't have a season will we lose one of the years of Rips contract? Probably don't need a new thread for this but this forum could use more threads so there it is.

I was looking for the answer to these type of questions the other day and couldn't find them. I was thinking, "Well, at least we'll lose a year on those contracts," and then wondered if we really would.

My guess is they would lose those years, but that's a total guess. Some players are borderline players at the end of their careers. What if the lockout stuck for three years (unlikely, but an example). You can't expect contracts that were negotiated years prior to still be good without any years lost on them if there is a strike/lockout.

i can't imagine it would count as an accrued season. They won't be paid during the lockout for one thing. A short season though, would knock a year off. I don't have any proof, but I feel pretty confident this is the case.

I don't know if that's true though...can you not pay someone if you're the one who says you can't come to work? I have the same question about the NFL lock out

Yes because the right to lock out is in the CBA I believe.

I doubt that is true. The CBA expires on June 30th so anything in it is null and void at that time. I would guess they have the right to lock them out because there is no CBA at that time.

aha....off forum, but is that the case in the NFL as well...anyone know?

Correct. If there is no active CBA in the NFL or NBA players cant be paid.

I doubt that is true. The CBA expires on June 30th so anything in it is null and void at that time. I would guess they have the right to lock them out because there is no CBA at that time.

One way or another, I'm guessing the owners are protected in this situatino. Of all the things the NFL players brought to court, this is something I've never seen disputed.