Sign in to follow this  
MSUBrian11

MSU Football 2013 Recruiting Thread

WI TE Dylan Chmura becomes #8. Young man really showed out at last Saturday's camp (in what was a pretty strong TE group). And yup, he's the son of former Packer Pro-bowler, Mark Chmura.

MSU picks up another verbal tonight with PA WR Jay Harris. Harris camped at MSU and really showed out. He has offers from: PSU, Pitt, Maryland, Rutgers...Kid has some Key Martinesque highlight reels.

Additionally, SV you may need to start the 2014 Recruiting thread; as dual sport star Drake Harris (combo guard/wr), from Grand Rapids Christian High is set to announce this Wednesday. Final 3 are MSU, UM and ND.

I've had the pleasure of covering Drake's high school career the previous two years. He is an exciting kid to watch on both the football field and basketball court.

Had been hoping to cover his announcement earlier in the week, but had an appointment that I just couldn't move.

6084087113_33d683857c_z.jpg

6606864831_ba17eb8a77_z.jpg

It'll be interesting to see how many schollies we end up having available...At the time of this post we're supposedly leading with the following recruits: OT Dennis Finley; WDE Demetrious Cooper; SDE Ruben Dunbar; SDE/DT Josh Augustus; Juco DT Kyle Peko and Ath Delton Williams (could project at RB, S, LB'er)...All of them are fine talents, and Finley, Cooper and Dylan Chmura (TE verbal) are among the Nation's fastest risers at their respective positions according Rivals' latest rerank.

Yeah but Logan Tulley-Tullman is more highly rated!!! I challenge anyone to watch film on those two young men and then reach the conclusion that LTT is a superior or even more projectable talent.

Or just explain to me how that profile(LTT's) screams 4*, rivals 250 talent? In the past, I always cringed when Spartan fans would carp about recruiting service biases...But after some revelations/allegations from some former rivals higher-ups (about how the service "catered" to some of the high-profile fan-bases)...I don't know. At some point though, folks are just gonna have to come to grips with the fact that we're winning a bunch of games with some pretty good talent.

Cooper would be case and point for me. Injured his junior year, he shows up at Sound Mind Sound Body, stands out from get-go, wins defensive MVP...Goes to MSU elite Camp (where Rivals' Midwestern Analyst is in attendance - as he was at SMSB) stands out and earns offer. Goes to ND's camp, stands out and earns offer...Purdue, same. And there was some real good talent at some of these camps. So Rivals gets around to him in their latest rankings update and make him a 5.6 3*. Behind a pile of guys that he absolutely blew away at some of these events.

Oh well, I've long since learned to take Rivals (and every other service) with at least a pinch of salt...And to accept that Dantonio and company know their ****.

Matt Dorsey of SpartanMag had this take:

"I don't care what any service ranks this class....I said it before and I will say it again "If MSU lands Cooper, Finley and Williams it will be as good a class Mark Dantonio has signed player for player". If they are able to squeeze in another player like Peko or Augusta, put this class at the top as far as over potential player for player."

Edited by lionstigersand...

And Dennis Finley makes it a pretty damn good weekend!!! Cass Tech in the house!

Wonderful weekend indeed. Here is the SMSB write up from a couple months ago that got people pretty pumped about Cooper and Finley...they seem to fit right in with some of the other higher ranked dudes on there...

IrishIllustrated.com - SMSB: Big men on parade

And Dennis Finley makes it a pretty damn good weekend!!! Cass Tech in the house!

Thank goodness the avoidance of Michigan State by Cass Tech athletes , whether real or not, is broken !