Shinma

Jagr a Wings? Uh. How about no. Thanks for asking.

Crowd pleaser maybe. Value at that price is even questionable given his overall record especially defensively I think the $1.5 million could be spent better, in particular emphasis on a couple of top tier defensemen. The Wings defense plain SUCKS! Without some big changes there, I doubt the Wings can compete for another playoff run. Why bother with a guy like Jager who's past his prime and is and will be a one dimensional player, at best

I think the DetNews said we have 17 mil to spend after Lidstrom. 2-4 for Jagr doesn't dent what we need to spend on D. We need another scoring F too. It doesn't have to be one absolute or the other.

I do we wish we could dump Hudler's contract and give that money to Jagr instead. No doubt in my mind he outproduces Hudler of last year, let alone Draper,Modano and Miller.

I think the Wings will sign Wisneiwski and Ehrhoff. So that helps the defense right there.

Lidstrom-Kronwall-Wisneiwski-Stuart-Ehrhoff-Ericsson-Kindl-Smith That is better......but Kronwall needs to step up and play like he did in the playoffs most nights.

If it's only 1.5mm or so, that changes everything. Sign him. I thought with the Rangers and Pitt in the mix, it might be more like the $2mm-$3mm range. He's only 39 (Mark Recchi contributed to a Cup winner this year) and scored a hat trick at the world championships.

I think the DetNews said we have 17 mil to spend after Lidstrom. 2-4 for Jagr doesn't dent what we need to spend on D. We need another scoring F too. It doesn't have to be one absolute or the other.

I do we wish we could dump Hudler's contract and give that money to Jagr instead. No doubt in my mind he outproduces Hudler of last year, let alone Draper,Modano and Miller.

If the Wings do in fact have $17 mil at their disposal to sign new players, then perhaps Jager would be a bargain at the price stated. 17 mil is alot of money and could buy some great talent but Jager alone isn't the answer in any sense of improving the Wings' chances for another cup run. 2011- 2012 is a rebuild year. Can't wait to see what the roster looks like in October.

Seriously? Next year is a rebuild year? Where do you come up with this stuff?

Because that's the way it is sonny.

They're rebuilding. Beginning now.

Any more questions?

Any more questions?

That is such a compelling argument. Like Sportz, without the wisdom sprinkled in. :dead:

They're keeping too much of their roster, and all their key players, for this to be a rebuilding year. Maybe they're rebuilding a dynasty (as I don't think they can contend for the cup EVERY year with this roster) but traditionally as a rebuild goes (like the Oilers or Islanders seem to be stuck in) I can't see that for the Wings. Especially since they're a couple pieces away this off season from being legit contenders, just depends who they can get.

That is such a compelling argument. Like Sportz, without the wisdom sprinkled in. :dead:

The Wings currently have over $46.8 million invested in 15 players, with forwards Mike Modano, Kris Draper, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller, defensemen Nicklas Lidstrom, Ruslan Salei and Jonathan Ericsson, and goaltender Chris Osgood eligible for unrestricted free agency.

My guess is Modano and Draper are gone, so are Salei, Ericsson and Osgood.

Its also widely believed Lidstrom will resign at the $6.2 million he made in 2010-11. He says he'll make that decision by July 1.

Eaves ($750K) and Miller ($650K) will probably stay and given their play they will garner pay raises, However it won't be too big so the Wings available cap space would still look good. $6.2 mm to resign Lids and another $2 mm or so to resign Eves and Miller, the payroll is about $55mm.

Given that the expected cap next season increases to around $63 million, that would leave nearly $8 million in available cap space to get some talent to boost their Defense and obtain another scoring forward or two.

Call it whatever you want, but I think $8M a nice sum to do some "rebuilding" with. I don't think anyone can argue they are going to need it to be competitive in a deep playoff run.

I refuse to argue semantics with you. Rebuild, reload. No difference to me.

Its also widely believed Lidstrom will resign at the $6.2 million he made in 2010-11.

Is it widely believed because it was reported earlier this week? lol

I refuse to argue semantics with you. Rebuild, reload. No difference to me.

I wasn't arguing semantics. I was saying "that's just the way it is" is a ****** argument.

If you don't understand the difference between reloading and rebuilding, that's on you. You can use them interchangeably, and you have never been afraid to be wrong in the past. I am certainly not going to stand in your way now.

Any more questions?

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm not sure you know what rebuilding means.

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm not sure you know what rebuilding means.

Like I said big guy, reloading, rebuilding, call it what you want. You're on the wrong board if you want to argue semantics. I say They're rebuilding. You want to call it something else, have at it.

Is it widely believed because it was reported earlier this week? lol

I wasn't arguing semantics. I was saying "that's just the way it is" is a ****** argument.

If you don't understand the difference between reloading and rebuilding, that's on you. You can use them interchangeably, and you have never been afraid to be wrong in the past. I am certainly not going to stand in your way now.

Oh lookey here another guy who wants to argue semantics. There's another board you can do that at. Find one, your so smart.

Oh lookey here another guy who wants to argue semantics. There's another board you can do that at. Find one, your so smart.

Holy ****, do you not know what semantics is either?

Reloading = adding pieces without dismantling main core of team

Rebuilding = starting over from scratch

Oh what, you want to be smart now? There are other forums for that. why don't you go there, you smart person? Go there and take your mastery of common language with you.:grin: Someplace like MLive.:cheeky:

Needing to replace a few minuscule players is far from, a "rebuild year" regardless of semantics.

How many teams do you see make the playoffs 20 straight years, end up in 3rd at the end of the season, and then have to have a "rebuild year?"

Best part of your claim that next year is/will be a "rebuild year?" How about something that you said yourself?

"Call it whatever you want, but I think $8M a nice sum to do some "rebuilding" with. I don't think anyone can argue they are going to need it to be competitive in a deep playoff run."

Some rebuilding does not mean it will be a rebuilding year. Especially when the parts we need to rebuild are the mediocre line filler type players. Teams that are going to be competitive in the playoffs regardless of who we get are not teams that are having a rebuild year.

I dont agree with skyguy that we need to rebuild but saying :

Especially when the parts we need to rebuild are the mediocre line filler type players

is really minimizing what the teams needs are. We need a top 4 defenseman, perhaps even two. We need a winger that can score and create some of his own offense to pair with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg. We need a sniper on the pp. We need big help on the pk. These arent "mediocre line filler types".

That said I think Jagr could fulfill two of those needs but only if he will accept 1.5 to 2 million on a one year deal. He will help the pp immensely. He could be that creative winger on a Datsyuk or Zetterberg line.

Then we can go after Wisniewski and Erhoff. Bring up Mursak, Tatar and Smith. Cut ties with Miller, Draper, Osgood and Ericcson. Trade Hudler and Kindle for a bag of pucks.

This will put us right back into the conversation.

is really minimizing what the teams needs are. We need a top 4 defenseman, perhaps even two.

Bring up Mursak, Tatar and Smith.

Lidstrom, Kronwall, and Stuart are already in the top four this year so there really isn't a need to get two top 4 defensemen in a weak FA class.

Also Smith isn't ready yet, he would get eaten up in the NHL on 5 on 5. Mursak and Emmerton are out of options so I'd imagine they'll be up with the Wings.

is really minimizing what the teams needs are. We need a top 4 defenseman, perhaps even two. We need a winger that can score and create some of his own offense to pair with Datsyuk and/or Zetterberg. We need a sniper on the pp. We need big help on the pk. These arent "mediocre line filler types".

That said I think Jagr could fulfill two of those needs but only if he will accept 1.5 to 2 million on a one year deal. He will help the pp immensely. He could be that creative winger on a Datsyuk or Zetterberg line.

Then we can go after Wisniewski and Erhoff. Bring up Mursak, Tatar and Smith. Cut ties with Miller, Draper, Osgood and Ericcson. Trade Hudler and Kindle for a bag of pucks.

Like drown already said, we need one top 4 defender to fill replace Rafalski, not two.

Out of the guys you mentioned who we would cut ties with & would therefore need to replace, Miller, Draper, Osgood & Ericsson, none of them are anything special, and I consider all of them mediocre filler guys. None of them fill the role of what you mentioned, and keep in mind that we have to replace those guys so we either have to find some really talented 4th liners that could fill those voids, or someone's moving down from a better line & I really don't see that happening, especially with this FA class.

Basically, the guys that have been mentioned are the mediocre filler players I was talking about. Obviously there are more needs, but this team was competitive with that roster & will be competitive next year even if all those fore mentioned guys are lost, and replaced by cheap replacements and/or call ups. I mean you can hope to address needs, but it's not like we're going to have an all star team from top to bottom and great lines all the way through.

Reloading = adding pieces without dismantling main core of team

Rebuilding = starting over from scratch

Run along ... just run along now. Nothing to be seen here.

Rebuilding,

Retooling,

Reloading.

all the same here.:knocked:

yep. Sounds a little like retooling, rebuilding maybe. Whatever it is, looks like we're on the same page. I like it. Maybe a prescription for a 3rd or 4th round playoff run>?

Needing to replace a few minuscule players is far from, a "rebuild year" regardless of semantics.

How many teams do you see make the playoffs 20 straight years, end up in 3rd at the end of the season, and then have to have a "rebuild year?"

Best part of your claim that next year is/will be a "rebuild year?" How about something that you said yourself?

"Call it whatever you want, but I think $8M a nice sum to do some "rebuilding" with. I don't think anyone can argue they are going to need it to be competitive in a deep playoff run."

Some rebuilding does not mean it will be a rebuilding year. Especially when the parts we need to rebuild are the mediocre line filler type players. Teams that are going to be competitive in the playoffs regardless of who we get are not teams that are having a rebuild year.

Huh? You sure about that?

Run along ... run along nothing here.