Shinma

Jagr a Wings? Uh. How about no. Thanks for asking.

Detroit Red Wings - NHL | Report: Wings among Jaromir Jagr's possible NHL destinations | The Detroit News

Detroit — The Red Wings say they aren't looking at forwards in free agency. But rumors in Europe persist there could be one who is interested in the Wings.

Jaromir Jagr, 39, who has played the last three seasons with Avangard Omsk in Russia's Kontinental League is likely returning to the NHL.

And according to Isport.cz, out of the Czech Republic, Jagr is considering the Red Wings, Penguins, Rangers and Canadiens if he returns to the NHL.

Jagr was a star with the Penguins for his first 12 NHL seasons. Jagr (6-3, 242) isn't likely to return to Omsk because of financial difficulties with the team.

Last season with Omsk, had Jagr had 50 points (19 goals) in 49 games. Jagr has 1,599 points (646 goals, 953 assists) in 1,273 NHL games.

The story in Isport says Jagr would be interested in the Wings because of the success older players have had in Detroit, the Wings' chances of winning the Stanley Cup, and how Jagr would fit into the lineup.

Jagr's success with the Penguins (two Stanley Cups), along with the possibility of playing with Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, make Pittsburgh an attractive destination.

:dead:

If he wants to play here for 2.5 mil or less for 1 year...I am all for it. What I am against is the Wings overpaying to replace Raffy (or Raffy & Nick) long term when next year's free agent crop is much, much better. The Wings could afford Jagr for 2.5 for a year, it wouldn't kill them - he could contribute kind of like Bertuzzi his second time around - you don't expect too much, but when he delivers its a nice surprise.

How legitimate is the KHL in comparison to the NHL? I know it's pretty decent. 50 points in 49 games doesn't seem bad at all if it really is that competitive...

How legitimate is the KHL in comparison to the NHL? I know it's pretty decent. 50 points in 49 games doesn't seem bad at all if it really is that competitive...

Hudler spent a year in the KHL and came back a different man.

It's not on par with the NHL IMO.

Hudler spent a year in the KHL and came back a different man.

It's not on par with the NHL IMO.

It isn't, and the game is a little different.

The Hudler example is a good one, he was a star in the KHL.

As next year's Modano, hell yes I'd take him. If he wants bigger money, no thanks.

Because Modano worked out so well this year?

I guess I wouldn't totally mind him on a 1 year, 2 million-ish contract. I read he has been working on his skating in the KHL because he thinks it is more of a skaters' league. So that's a good sign he is still working at it at least. If the FA class was any better this year I wouldn't even think about it.

The KHL is like a AAAA hockey league. Guys can dominate the AHL, go over there and be decent 2nd or 3rd liners. Meanwhile, NHL 2nd and 3rd liners, can go over there and dominate.

The bigger ice surface is the biggest difference. The more skilled guys can really stand out.

I would't pay him any more than Modano got since he is 1000 years old. If he can still contribute a tiny bit more than Modano did I am all for it if the price is right.

Honestly this would be a good signing if the price is right.

Jagr can still score and play at a high lvl.

He is still a scorer and imagine our PP with Jagr. Lidstrom, Homer, Pavel, Jagr. Just nuts.

He was also called the Best Forward in the World Championships last month by some NHLers.

and he's also gonna be 40 so that fits right in :P

But seriously he would be a good signing for the right price.

Did you guys not watch the olympics just 14 months ago? Jagr was the best player for the Czech team and it wasnt close. They guy can still play.

But yeah, I hope the wings dont sign him, because I want the Leafs too.

I frankly didn't want this year's Modano...
Because Modano worked out so well this year?

Modano in particular is not really the point. We've had a lot of success with older guys who were supposedly washed up and in general, I tihnk its smart to take cheap gambles that could potentially pay off. You have to always be looking to maximize your resources when building a roster. We lost nothing by signing Modano IMO. You certainly didn't sign him with high expectations or without some knowledge that it might be a complete failure. Modano not working out does not mean the signing was a bad idea or that we should never take a similar gamble again

Edited by Nastradamus

The KHL is like a AAAA hockey league. Guys can dominate the AHL, go over there and be decent 2nd or 3rd liners. Meanwhile, NHL 2nd and 3rd liners, can go over there and dominate.

The bigger ice surface is the biggest difference. The more skilled guys can really stand out.

Hey, if he can be a good 3rd liner that's fine. Jagr has proven success in the NHL too and recently looked good in the Olympics as mentioned.

As far as the person who said save the spot for someone younger and cheaper, I don't think price is going to be a huge issue and I don't know what cheap young player he is going to take a spot from, especially who offers similar production. He'd most likely take the spot of a Draper,Modano or Bertuzzi type.

Edited by Nastradamus

Hey, if he can be a good 3rd liner that's fine. Jagr has proven success in the NHL too and recently looked good in the Olympics as mentioned.

As far as the person who said save the spot for someone younger and cheaper, I don't think price is going to be a huge issue and I don't know what cheap young player he is going to take a spot from, especially who offers similar production. He'd most likely take the spot of a Draper,Modano or Bertuzzi type.

Bertuzzi still has one more year on his contract, so there's no chance he'd replace Bertuzzi.

I don't see why anyone would be opposed to getting Jagr for a year over a guy like Draper (who seems to want to come back, doesn't sound like Holland is looking to bring him back though) or Modano (haven't seen or heard anything about him coming back). I can begin to understand the argument of wanting to get Tatar & Mursak more playing time, but I know Miller is a FA & not sure if Abdelkader is or not, but I'd take Jagr over either of those two as well.

Bertuzzi still has one more year on his contract, so there's no chance he'd replace Bertuzzi.

I don't see why anyone would be opposed to getting Jagr for a year over a guy like Draper (who seems to want to come back, doesn't sound like Holland is looking to bring him back though) or Modano (haven't seen or heard anything about him coming back). I can begin to understand the argument of wanting to get Tatar & Mursak more playing time, but I know Miller is a FA & not sure if Abdelkader is or not, but I'd take Jagr over either of those two as well.

I agree and I also forgot to mention that the first thing Kenny SHOULD do is find a good replacement for Rafalski then sign Jagr if the price is right.

Just think about Jagr and Dats Dangling around the offensive zone........

Yep, finding a replacement for Rafalski is big, but as has been mentioned in other threads, it's not like we're dealing with a great class of FA defensemen....

I agree and I also forgot to mention that the first thing Kenny SHOULD do is find a good replacement for Rafalski then sign Jagr if the price is right.

Just think about Jagr and Dats Dangling around the offensive zone........

They'd be better off not to make a desperate signing and overpay someone to replace Rafalski if the FA market isn't strong this year. Might be better to sign two solid defensive defensmen and hope Kronwall plays like he did in the playoffs this year.

It seems like the Wings want to sign Miller and Abdelkader is signed. Eaves is a free agent. The only two FA's of the Wings I've seen that probably aren't coming back are Draper and Osgood (from news reports).

Obviously if Jagr comes cheap that'd be great as people have said here. He is still big and probably his puck possession skills are never going to go away even if his speed does. But I've already seen stuff about him linked to other teams too, mostly the Canadians and Penguins, so I'm not sure if he'll come as cheap as people here think.

Also to Nas, shouldn't have used Modano specifically if that's not what you meant :lick:

My bad on Bertuzzi. Overall, I agree with you here though. I don't think signing a vet like Jagr is going ot directly affect the playing time of Tatar/Mursak overall. Like you said, replace Draper or Modano with Jagr. We nee a little more skill and scoring punch from the back end lines. I like guys like Eaves,Abdelkader and Miller, but you can't have all those types. They aer meant to be compliments, role players. I'd love to see something like Draper,Modano,Miller and maybe one other vet out(maybe someone like a Bertuzzi getting dealt), Jagr and the 2 youngsters in.

We're stuck with Hudler for a while right? Hopefully he comes back stronger next year if so. A little more adapted back to the NHL and a little closer to the guy who was +7 with 57 points than the guy who was -7 with 37 points.