mavscougars

White Sox and Twins still scare me

Sox can't seem to climb over .500.

When they do that I'll believe.

Adam Done is showing signs of Adam Dunn. That might make things more interesting.

Adam Done is showing signs of Adam Dunn. That might make things more interesting.

True. But if we kept blowing games in the 9th, which seems to be our MO, it won't matter how many bombs Dunn, Konerko, etc hit or how well the rotation pitches.

7 blown saves in April, 1 blown save in Seattle 2 blown saves on the home stand and I honestly I think baseball has the biggest butterfly effect in all the pro-sports but I digress, they don't blow half of those games they're 38-30 and are in first place in the division. They also need to stop losing to teams in the division not named the Indians.

We head to Minnesota for 3, I'd be shocked if we even win 1 games of that set.

Edited by whitesox901

I think Dunn warms up but I don't think it's enough for the Sox. My whole life when it's quiet and the darkness comes, the bump I hear in the night is always the Twins. That hasn't changed - they could definitely turn it around. Mauer comes back and is productive, Mourneau heats up, Kubel is already hitting well... and let's say Delmon Young bounces back after the break to put up the .800 OPS everyone expected. That's a different Twins team that just might go on a mission.

Cleveland is out of it by August.

True. But if we kept blowing games in the 9th, which seems to be our MO, it won't matter how many bombs Dunn, Konerko, etc hit or how well the rotation pitches.

7 blown saves in April, 1 blown save in Seattle 2 blown saves on the home stand and I honestly I think baseball has the biggest butterfly effect in all the pro-sports but I digress, they don't blow half of those games they're 38-30 and are in first place in the division. They also need to stop losing to teams in the division not named the Indians.

We head to Minnesota for 3, I'd be shocked if we even win 1 games of that set.

Those sorts of things are frustrating and hopeful at the same time. You see what could have been, but figure going forward the one run games and extra inning should break evenly.

The Sox are only one under in one- run games so they are delivering as much frustration as they are receiving this year.

I think Dunn warms up but I don't think it's enough for the Sox. My whole life when it's quiet and the darkness comes, the bump I hear in the night is always the Twins. That hasn't changed - they could definitely turn it around. Mauer comes back and is productive, Mourneau heats up, Kubel is already hitting well... and let's say Delmon Young bounces back after the break to put up the .800 OPS everyone expected. That's a different Twins team that just might go on a mission.

Cleveland is out of it by August.

Toast. Burned toast that smells bad and needs to be thrown out. The Tigers or Sox will get to the mid-80's in wins. The Twins won't.

Toast. Burned toast that smells bad and needs to be thrown out. The Tigers or Sox will get to the mid-80's in wins. The Twins won't.

Please stop saying this. Have you not suffered through enough Twins comebacks to keep your mouth shut?

I don't think people understand the magnitude of the Twins failures right now. They are 13 games under .500, AFTER going 9-2. 7 of the 10 hitters with more than 100 PAs on the team have an OPS under .700. They play defense like a bad college team. 2nd to last in team ERA and OBP. Yes, they always make the playoffs, but the Yankees always made the playoffs too, until they had a weak team and they didn't.

I am going to make some eggs over easy tomorrow morning, and I am going to spread butter on the Twins and dip them in the yoke.

Please stop saying this. Have you not suffered through enough Twins comebacks to keep your mouth shut?

Are people saying the Twins will come back to win the division just because they did it in '06 and '09 or because they actually think they're a legitimate threat?

They'll have to leapfrog three teams, two of which I believe are better and deeper than the Twins, to do it. If they manage it and take the division, kudos to them, they deserve it.

I dont know, I would call the Twins toast yet. In 10 days they went from 16.5 back in the division to 9 games back. Thats making up some serious ground in a short amount of time. If Mauer and Morneau can comeback and be healthy the rest of the season, then they could be dangerous again. 9 GB with 100 games to go is very doable.

I dont know, I would call the Twins toast yet. In 10 days they went from 16.5 back in the division to 9 games back. Thats making up some serious ground in a short amount of time. If Mauer and Morneau can comeback and be healthy the rest of the season, then they could be dangerous again. 9 GB with 100 games to go is very doable.

Sure the Twins might catch the Tigers. But, will all four teams ahead of them play worse?

They can't realistically get to 85 wins.

Tick, tick, tick, POP! Gotta go, my Twins are ready.

This. I've counted them out too many times only to regret it.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this. When has anyone EVER counted the Twins out? One time in 2009, MAYBE???

I don't get this "too many times" sentiment. Unless once is too many times...

Edited by JayVee

I'm sorry, but I don't get this. When has anyone EVER counted the Twins out? One time in 2006, MAYBE???

I don't get this "too many times" sentiment. Unless once is too many times...

Did you forget 2009? They were done. They had to win like 18 of their last 22 to catch the Tigers. They were 7 games back on Sept. 6th.

Did you forget 2009? They were done. They had to win like 18 of their last 22 to catch the Tigers. They were 7 games back on Sept. 6th.

Sorry, you're right, I actually meant 2009...

Now they're chasing 4 teams instead of 1 or 2. I wouldn't be shocked but they'd really have to kill it in the AL central games to be there at the end. It's certainly possible given the competition. Glad we're already 5-0 against them.

yeah, I don't see why it's foolish to think the Twins are not out of it when they are 9 back in June. After Labor Day in 2009 they were 7 back. In 2008 they were down to Chicago by 2.5 in the final week.

Yes, it was a crazy run in 2009 combined with mediocrity by the Tigers but it happens.....

90 is going to get it done in the central. Twinks would have to go 64-36 to get there the rest of the way. It is possible. Anything is right? They would have to lose just 3 more games in the next 100 than they did in the first 65.

The Twins are 13 games under .500. If they catch the Tigers it will be because the Tigers play like crap (in which case Chicago will surely pass us as well) not because the Twins go on a 25-0 run and take over the division.

If the Twins actually go on a 25-0 run then I guess we can just assume baseball is rigged and forget the sport.

The only reason they caught that much ground on first is because they were chasing the fraud Indians and their hot streak coincided with the Indians being exposed. The next 9 games they have to make up will be much more difficult than the first 7 or so.

The Twins are 13 games under .500. If they catch the Tigers it will be because the Tigers play like crap (in which case Chicago will surely pass us as well) not because the Twins go on a 25-0 run and take over the division.

If the Twins actually go on a 25-0 run then I guess we can just assume baseball is rigged and forget the sport.

The Tigers playing like crap isn't that far-fetched, in fact we've had some pretty bad stretches this season already. And with so many remaining games against division rivals, a Twins hot-streat coinciding with the Tigers and Sox playing poorly, could easily put these teams on even ground pretty quickly.

It's still too early to call this an unrealistic scenario. If 2009 should have taught us one thing, it's that.

yeah, I don't see why it's foolish to think the Twins are not out of it when they are 9 back in June. After Labor Day in 2009 they were 7 back. In 2008 they were down to Chicago by 2.5 in the final week.

Yes, it was a crazy run in 2009 combined with mediocrity by the Tigers but it happens.....

Agreed.

This place is going to be really fun if the Twins get close.

Who are you kidding, it will be fun if any team gets close. That's the beauty of being a fan in the internet age.