SpartanValor

MSU Football 2012 Recruiting Thread

William Mahone is visiting again with his mom today, and many expect him to commit soon. Jaleel Johnson apparently pushed up his timetable, and his coach only had good things to say about MSU. Landing both of these guys would be huge.

Just like Michigan, MSU is starting to see the benefits from all the drama down in Columbus!!

There is so much DL talent in the Midwest this year, and with all the drama at Ohio State -- Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Penn State are looking to all bring in top tier DL recruits this season. Two players that, over the past month or so, have gone cold on Michigan State to very hot/close to a visit, or even committing for that matter - Jaleel Johnson - 4* DE, and 4* DT Sheldon Day. I think Michigan State gets both of these guys.

Edited by JonBenke

Jamal Lyles, welcome to MSU!

LB who blew up at camp. Offers from Pitt, Cincy, Iowa, Stanford, Syracuse, Illinois and Vandy.

Great get. I expect a couple more verbals soon.

Just like Michigan, MSU is starting to see the benefits from all the drama down in Columbus!!

There is so much DL talent in the Midwest this year, and with all the drama at Ohio State -- Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, and Penn State are looking to all bring in top tier DL recruits this season. Two players that, over the past month or so, have gone cold on Michigan State to very hot/close to a visit, or even committing for that matter - Jaleel Johnson - 4* DE, and 4* DT Sheldon Day. I think Michigan State gets both of these guys.

Actually Jaleel Johnson has had MSU seemingly at (or near) the top of his list from the get go. Haven't been following Day much - nor have I read much on him recently.

Jamal Lyles, welcome to MSU!

LB who blew up at camp. Offers from Pitt, Cincy, Iowa, Stanford, Syracuse, Illinois and Vandy.

Love kids that have to go out and earn offers at camps. Particularly when damn near every school that gets a look at them offers right after. Lyles and Price both fit that description.

Come on down Josiah!!! You're on the clock!

Ps. What no WVU Jamal?!?!?!

106482.png

Verbal Commitments

Jamal Lyles, LB (Lathrup Village, Michigan)

908611m.jpg

Kyle Kerrick, WR (Coatesville, Pennsylvania)

838669m.jpg

Se'Von Pittman, DE (Canton, Ohio)

859201m.jpg

Tyler O'Connor, QB (Lima, Ohio)

902805.jpg

Benny McGowan, OL (Dayton, Ohio)

904107m.jpg

Zach Higgins, OL (Alliance, Ohio)

816147m.jpg

Evan Jones, TE (West Lafayette, Ohio)

914161m.jpg

Riley Bullough, S (Traverse City, Michigan)

781108m.jpg

Recruiting: Michigan State remains strong in Ohio | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Recruiting: Michigan State hosting top prospects | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

32-logo.jpg

Welcome to MSU, Josiah Price. TE/DE had offers from Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, and Purdue

BTW: SV, you forgot to add Lyles to the original post in the thread.

Price's dad: “Michigan State was also the one school we haven’t heard one bad thing about. Every school, it was something. Either someone didn’t like the coach or someone didn’t like the school. Michigan State, we never heard anything bad, even from the people around here. People that are fans of IU and Purdue, they say that’s a great program.”

3 commits in 24 hours. There should be a rule that we dont even talk recruiting until kids camp at msu...because its like wildfire after that.

8 commits already, and there is a good chance they will have around 12-13 come August. They will probably take around 19-20 now, with Spencer and Smith leaving.

8 commits already, and there is a good chance they will have around 12-13 come August. They will probably take around 19-20 now, with Spencer and Smith leaving.

Any idea what the deal with Spencer is? Quite a few guys leaving this summer in Boisture (injury), Barrent (injury), Smith (?), and Spencer (?).

Really bummed out about Barrent. Kid had all the potential in the world.

PT issues for Smith and Spencer, it sounds like. There are a good 5 or 6 recievers ahead of Spencer on the depth chart right now, and Smith was a backup FB.

Onaje Miller I hear was asked to play DB. Who knows, but all continue to have good things to say about the program after leaving. Thats a good sign.

PT issues for Smith and Spencer, it sounds like. There are a good 5 or 6 recievers ahead of Spencer on the depth chart right now, and Smith was a backup FB.

Onaje Miller I hear was asked to play DB. Who knows, but all continue to have good things to say about the program after leaving. Thats a good sign.

I heard Smith was lazy and never got any better (meaning he put on bad weight) which is why he got think and they were moving him to FB and possibly TE.

I heard Spencer would have been a good safety but never was gonna pan out at WR. He wanted WR so that's where he is at.

I heard Onaje had been involved in some off the field issues, minor role, but he was basically gonna be in the doghouse to start. This way he can go elsewhere and get a shot.

in addition to the verbals already noted...William Mahone's visit apparently went great...And 4* OT (and Rivals 100 member) Ryan Ward will be on campus tomorrow.

2nd visit for Ward?

This all sounds very promising. Looking it over...Malone, Johnson, and Ward are all really good prospects. You have to think that Malone has to be loving his potential playing time at MSU with Miller not coming.

Jaleel Johnson has had MSU seemingly at (or near) the top of his list from the get go.

No, he hasn't .. but that doesn't mean he's not a great get. I was hoping he'd go blue for awhile.

EDIT: and you should read up on Sheldon Day, the kid is a complete beast!!

Everyone is getting so much good DL talent this year, it's going to come down to good OL play to counter it.

2nd visit for Ward?

looks like NU filled up, and are not taking any more OL. Looks good for MSU. I thought NU was the leader since his brother is on the team.

Edited by MSUBrian11

So, WOTS is that Mahone canceled visit to ND and is checking out PSU tomorrow. He also said he wants to make his decision before his Senior season and that things have changed.

I sounds like it's us or PSU and I would put it at 50/50. I really think our depth chart is the most appealling thing for a RB (and now a WR).

Next year we have Fowler, Lippett, Mumphrey and... nada. Gotta take 3 WRs this year.

Bubba we also have Juwan Ceasar, Andre Sims, and Roger Williamson coming in at WR, but point definitely taken.

Edited by SpartanValor

Bubba we also have Juwan Ceasar, Andre Sims, and Roger Williamson coming in at WR, but point definitely taken.

Yes, I was thinking of players that may get experience this year. I assume those guys will be RS or maybe one or two get a look if injuries play a part.

Anywho, it's a great time to look at MSU for RB or WR.

No, he hasn't .. but that doesn't mean he's not a great get. I was hoping he'd go blue for awhile.

EDIT: and you should read up on Sheldon Day, the kid is a complete beast!!

Everyone is getting so much good DL talent this year, it's going to come down to good OL play to counter it.

According to Rivals and Jaleel Johnson he has. We were his first offer, and in most of the interviews I've read he's consistently had MSU in his top group. Do you have a link that suggests otherwise, or is this kind of like your Kaleb Ringer "scoop" from earlier this year?

Edited by lionstigersand...

Can you link me up? You always ask -- with an attitude, mind you, though you never give.

Since you do this, I won't try and share info here.

Oh, and I read it in an interview -- back when Michigan was hot on him, and the feeling was mutual.

EDIT: my last post in this thread ... seriously, Sheldon Day is someone you should all hope you guys get :classic:

Edited by JonBenke