JonBenke

Michigan 2012 Recruiting Thread

I really don't agree with anything written here. Easily we could have lost more players and lost recruits and it would have been chalked up to hiring him too late and he would have been given a pass by the school, media and fans. As bad as that would have been, that would have been the minimum... there were no expectations of salvaging anything when he arrived.

The fact that he did keep pretty much everyone, including Robinson who I was particularly surprised at (and there was reasonable speculation that he would leave), and kept a respectible recruiting class together was WAY more than the minimum. And frankly, salvaging the 2011 class and keeping the few good player we already had was probably the most important thing Hoke could have done in his first two to three years at the program. This alone, if Hoke and staff are even just average coaches, should stave off any losing seasons which are only going to help him with future recruiting.

If he lost Robinson, Martin, and several decent players in the 2011 class... we are a terrible team next year. He avoided that, and enough can't be said about this.

This is pretty unreasonable. First of all, filling out a class is never going to be an issue for Michigan if they want to fill it out. Guys like Heitzman or Carter will always be there for the taking. You can always cherry pick MAC schools or a Minnesota/Indiana. Second, I don't understand why its assumed Hoke had to basically beg guys like Robinson and Martin to stay. Going pro this year would have been stupid for Martin and I think he's a guy who is committed to this school.

I'm excited for Hoke as a recruiter, but he simply did not do anything above and beyond the norm for a situation like that. You are going to have some attrition and you are going to struggle to sign any new, big name players at the point in the game where he was hired and that's exactly how it played out. He signed what he could of the bottom of the barrel types that were left and a few guys decommitted, transferred or lost interest in UM.

Its not a criticism, its just what happened. I'm satisfied with what Hoke did, but certainly not impressed. I would have expected the same had we hired any HC or even something like an interim HC. Not having all your best players leave is hardly a coup, nor was anything else he did at that point. His 2012 class on the other hand, is looking sick

Edited by Nastradamus

I agree.. It could have been a disaster if someone like Denard had fled the program.. who knows how many others would have followed. Hoke did a good job keeping the class &team together.

100% agreed.

To be fair though, existing players have nothing to do with my original statement of, he didn't really save the 2011 class.

From that:

>

>There was a rumor last weekend that Se'Von Pittman a highly ranked DE >from Ohio wanted to commit to Michigan but the coaching staff asked him to >delay his decision awhile.

Ok, that's weird. I mean, Pittman is #61 in the Rivals list. What possible reason could we have for not wanting him?

Rob

From that:

>

>There was a rumor last weekend that Se'Von Pittman a highly ranked DE >from Ohio wanted to commit to Michigan but the coaching staff asked him to >delay his decision awhile.

Ok, that's weird. I mean, Pittman is #61 in the Rivals list. What possible reason could we have for not wanting him?

Rob

I have heard it could possibly be grades.

From that:

>

Rob

Grades, class size (especially at DE).

Not that I have an opinion on the rumor, impossible to verify its legitimacy.

I have heard it could possibly be grades.

Oh yeah, there is that school thing. :)

Rob

Yeah, I was dumb boy on the grades possibility. Class size seems like it wouldn't be the issue with the #61 player in the country. Yeah, we do have Brown and Ojemuda, but this guy seems superior to both.

And then of course, there is the question of whether any of this is more than pipe dream material.

Rob

Yeah, I was dumb boy on the grades possibility. Class size seems like it wouldn't be the issue with the #61 player in the country. Yeah, we do have Brown and Ojemuda, but this guy seems superior to both.

And then of course, there is the question of whether any of this is more than pipe dream material.

Rob

And Stroebel and Godin, with Wormley likely.

And Stroebel and Godin, with Wormley likely.

Hmm, right, I did forget Stroebel, but I thought Godin was a DT.

Is Wormley even in the same discussion as Pittman? I mean, he's not a top 250 guy at all.

Edit: And evidently I missed that the rumor is completely bogus- The dude (Pittman) committed to MSU. :)

Rob

Edited by RobSk

Hmm, right, I did forget Stroebel, but I thought Godin was a DT.

Is Wormley even in the same discussion as Pittman? I mean, he's not a top 250 guy at all.

Edit: And evidently I missed that the rumor is completely bogus- The dude (Pittman) committed to MSU. :)

Rob

Who knows with Godin if he will be a DE or DT, he could probably end up doing both based on need. I figure Stroebel, Pittman, Washington, Wormley are all 4* types, it just depends what flavor you prefer. Altho Wormley has supposedly dropped a little in the rankings. I certainly would not have been unhappy with a Pittman commit, but am hoping they believe they can pull Pipkins, Wormley, O'Brien, in which case Pittman might indeed be overkill.

Grades aren't a problem for Pittman, its the State of Ohio standardized test that he has yet to pass (I believe he can take it up to 4 times, or has 4 more opps - something to that effect). He should be a full qualifier by all accounts.

Most of what I've read doesn't place Wormley in nearly the class as the others mentioned above.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Grades aren't a problem for Pittman, its the State of Ohio standardized test that he has yet to pass (I believe he can take it up to 4 times, or has 4 more opps - something to that effect). He should be a full qualifier by all accounts.

Most of what I've read doesn't place Wormley in nearly the class as the others mentioned above.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I just get my info from the M blogs, there was something with grades but also that he was planning to enroll early, so that test thing makes sense.

I looked it up, Wormley is right there on scout and 247, but a step back on rivals. I think Washington is the best of the bunch, but they're all close and it's not like this is a science. M has been recruiting Wormley for a long time now so even if they like Pittman a bit better, I think they'd save a spot for Wormley.

As disappointing as it is that MSU actually landed a decent recruit, the upside is that this is the third OSU target from Ohio that has committed elsewhere. Unlike USC, they are having serious trouble recruiting from under a cloud of imminent sanctions.

I just get my info from the M blogs, there was something with grades but also that he was planning to enroll early, so that test thing makes sense.

Isn't Wormley a bigger guy (250+ already?), regardless? I could certainly see Michigan being filled up at rush or weak-side d-end (after Stroebel); which is where a Pittman would project better. That said, he certainly took some of the sting off of Mario O. :wink:

For the record, I was just listening to 97.1 and they said Pittman's high school coach came out today and said he has a 20 on his ACT and 34 credits (only need 32 to graduate and he's only a junior). In fact, he's planning on enrolling early. Academics don't appear to be an issue whatsoever.

Fact is, MSU and UM have the exact same academic standards for their football players entering. According to Valenti, only Northwestern and Wisconsin actually have higher standards in the Big Ten.

For the record, I was just listening to 97.1 and they said Pittman's high school coach came out today and said he has a 20 on his ACT and 34 credits (only need 32 to graduate and he's only a junior). In fact, he's planning on enrolling early. Academics don't appear to be an issue whatsoever.

Fact is, MSU and UM have the exact same academic standards for their football players entering. According to Valenti, only Northwestern and Wisconsin actually have higher standards in the Big Ten.

Wisconsin? That's news to me. Anyway, it was buzzing around a while ago that Michigan had either cooled or wouldn't accept Pittman's committment. TVH reported or confirmed that something was up, though he indicated that Pittman's interest hadn't faded. Who knows. Good get for State.

Wisconsin? That's news to me. Anyway, it was buzzing around a while ago that Michigan had either cooled or wouldn't accept Pittman's committment. TVH reported or confirmed that something was up, though he indicated that Pittman's interest hadn't faded. Who knows. Good get for State.

Wisconsin is a very good school, but I was also surprised to hear that. Then again, it is Valenti so you really have no idea what is accurate...

Then again, it is Valenti so you really have no idea what is accurate...

I swear I had something typed up to that effect, and encompassing Caputo too, and decided to just closed the tab instead because I couldn't get it written in a way that didn't come off as questioning your point rather than the source.

I swear I had something typed up to that effect, and encompassing Caputo too, and decided to just closed the tab instead because I couldn't get it written in a way that didn't come off as questioning your point rather than the source.

I don't really buy whatever Valenti says most of the time, but he is entertaining as hell and I give him credit for that. The unfortunate thing about Caputo is that he has smart things to say, but he sounds like such a moron that I have to switch it after a minute or two. He's a huge baffoon - I find Armani to be the same way.

Isn't Wormley a bigger guy (250+ already?), regardless? I could certainly see Michigan being filled up at rush or weak-side d-end (after Stroebel); which is where a Pittman would project better. That said, he certainly took some of the sting off of Mario O. :wink:

I think Stroebel and Godin are SDEs, with Mario and Brown being WDEs. I think there's more of a need at SDE on the team as well, WDE at least has Roh for 2 more years and Black for 3 more.

I don't really buy whatever Valenti says most of the time, but he is entertaining as hell and I give him credit for that. The unfortunate thing about Caputo is that he has smart things to say, but he sounds like such a moron that I have to switch it after a minute or two. He's a huge baffoon - I find Armani to be the same way.

I wasn't sure what fat sounded like, until I heard Pat Caputo on the radio.

My understanding was that he has to pass the Ohio test LTA referenced in his post, that has to be passed or nothing else matters. Having said that, I doubt it is an issue for him. Good pickup very good pickup.

I think you'll have to watch this. An effort to be careful in what you say on MTS is so counter to general practice that it could get you booted. :)

Rob

Edit: Please forgive this absurd hijack. I typed this out and realized that it was completely off-topic only after committing it.

So, I don't think I've ever heard Pat Caputo say something smart, and I am attempting to divorce the message from the style. Yes, his style is that of a complete idiot, but I don't think the content is too far away. That said, perhaps the problem is that when you hear him together with a Drew Sharp or someone like that, where it's not just that Sharp knows nothing about sports, but that he's actively attempting to say obnoxious crap to annoy you, and so enters realms of stupidity usually untouched by anyone but Rob Parker or Dennis Fithian. So yes, Caputo sounds smarter than those guys because usually he's not TRYING to be an idiot to piss you off.

Fithian amazes me- He is simply incapable of putting together an english sentence. How on earth he has convinced people that he should be on the radio, I have no idea whatsoever.

Rob