JonBenke

Michigan 2012 Recruiting Thread

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/tomvh-weekly-update-eric-olson-adam-bisnowaty-sevon-pittman-and-much-more

I'm not going to post anymore of Tom's weekly update, so you can all just go over and check it out here:)

I liked what I read about the defensive line, how Michigan might handle it, and the number of kids they'll take.

Getting a slew of EE will only help Michigan in the number of total recruits they can take!

The 85 man limit will be the limiting factor. Right now, they are on track to have 67 kids on scholarship for next season, with 1-3 more slots easily possible for not renewing kids for their 5th year. That is 18 for sure slots, maybe 19-21. If you figure 23-26 kids will actually enroll in 2012 due to grades, you need 2-7 slots to open up from the current football roster between now and then.

The 85 man limit will be the limiting factor. Right now, they are on track to have 67 kids on scholarship for next season, with 1-3 more slots easily possible for not renewing kids for their 5th year. That is 18 for sure slots, maybe 19-21. If you figure 23-26 kids will actually enroll in 2012 due to grades, you need 2-7 slots to open up from the current football roster between now and then.

There are so many different ways they can reach the number, I'd rather just focus on the number.

Michigan has 16 commits, so that means they can take 10 more commits.

I have to say, I'm cautiously optimistic about the recruiting class that Hoke is putting together. This on top of saving the 2011 class. I'm more excited about the recruits than anytime under the RR years.

There are so many different ways they can reach the number, I'd rather just focus on the number.

Michigan has 16 commits, so that means they can take 10 more commits.

I'm not really worried about it yet, but more than getting an awesome class I #1 want every kid treated right. Hoke doesn't seem like the kind of coach that will give a kid the shaft, a la Les Miles, so I'm sure he's got solid reason to want to take 26 at this point.

That said, I'd say there's 4 guys I'd really like to get, in appx this order:

Wilson

Dunn

Washington

Pipkins

I've wanted a FS recruit like Wilson for many years running now.

I'm sure all the kids will be treated right. No point in speculating on what might or might not happen...

That said, I'd say there's 4 guys I'd really like to get, in appx this order:

Wilson

Dunn

Washington

Pipkins

That said, I think landing Jordan Diamond and Ondre Pipkins are crucial for this class.

this whole thread is speculation....it just leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth when we get excited about signing a class that is contingent on things not totally working out for college kids.

ESPN has Michigan ranked as the 6th best class in the nation for 2012 so far.

And it's looking good that the most of the last 10 commits could all be highly ranked.

Notable names to watch out for from here on out...

DE: Adolphus Washington, OH - first and foremost, we need to get him and Stanford on campus!

DE: Se'Von Pittman, OH - his final four are Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan State

DE: Chris Wormley, OH - Michigan leads, and could be the next to verbal his commitment to Michigan.

DT: Ondre Pipkins, MO - wants to wait on making a decision, and his decision might hinder on---

DT: Aziz Shittu, CA - he'll try and visit for the Notre Dame game -- likes the jerseys - lol, says they're dope!

OL: Jordan Diamond, IL - we really need both Diamond and Magnuson .. one down, one to go!

OL: Isaac Seumalo, OR - friend of Erik Magnuson, and a guard .. should be interesting to watch play out.

OL: Eric Olson, MA - just visited Michigan this past weekend, and has an offer.

OL: Adam Bisnowaty, PA - he just visited, final four of M, MSU, Purdue, and Notre Dame.

OL: Joshua Garnett, WA - five star guard, and again, Michigan needs at least one guard.

WR: Dwayne Stanford, OH - again, we need to get him and Washington on campus -- ASAP!

WR: Aaron Burbridge, MI - I still think he's going to Michigan if he can qualify -- good luck, kid!

DB: Jarrod Wilson, OH - a true safety .. wow, imagine having one of those!

DB: Wayne Morgan, NY - was once a verbal to M, it'll still be interesting to watch his recruitment play out.

RB: Bri'Onte Dunn, OH - it'll be fun and interesting to see how this all plays out - after the Ohio State fiasco.

Edited by JonBenke

I try to stay away every year, but every year the Army game draws me back. Guess I'll be going again in January.

Pipkin has narrowed it down to seven schools in no order:

Tennessee

Oregon

Oklahoma

Mizzou

Michigan

Florida

Alabama

Pipkin has narrowed it down to seven schools in no order:

Tennessee

Oregon

Oklahoma

Mizzou

Michigan

Florida

Alabama

I love that list!! This means, even if we don't get him, he won't be going to a rival.

I try to stay away every year, but every year the Army game draws me back.

You tried to stay away from here too ... look where that got you;)

I'll be going again in January.

Have fun! I hope to read a post or two on what you saw.

From today's Recruiting Roundup, wtka.com - Michigan Insider

Sam keeps saying -- all the recruits tell him all the coaches tell them they're taking 26.

That means we have 10 spots left, Michigan will backdate a few and get to 26.

That said, he feels as if Michigan leads for the following - Chris Wormley, Ondre Pipkins, Jarrod Wilson, Adolphus Washington (he says he's not the only one here, that the entire scout Midwest guys all think UM leads here :classic:

Says the breakdown of the final 10 will dictate on who the guys are.

They won't turn away certain guys from here on out, no matter the position.

And it's looking good that the most of the last 10 commits could all be highly ranked.

Notable names to watch out for from here on out...

DE: Adolphus Washington, OH - first and foremost, we need to get him and Stanford on campus!

DE: Se'Von Pittman, OH - his final four are Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan State

DE: Chris Wormley, OH - Michigan leads, and could be the next to verbal his commitment to Michigan.

DT: Ondre Pipkins, MO - wants to wait on making a decision, and his decision might hinder on---

DT: Aziz Shittu, CA - he'll try and visit for the Notre Dame game -- likes the jerseys - lol, says they're dope!

OL: Jordan Diamond, IL - we really need both Diamond and Magnuson .. one down, one to go!

OL: Isaac Seumalo, OR - friend of Erik Magnuson, and a guard .. should be interesting to watch play out.

OL: Eric Olson, MA - just visited Michigan this past weekend, and has an offer.

OL: Adam Bisnowaty, PA - he just visited, final four of M, MSU, Purdue, and Notre Dame.

OL: Joshua Garnett, WA - five star guard, and again, Michigan needs at least one guard.

WR: Dwayne Stanford, OH - again, we need to get him and Washington on campus -- ASAP!

WR: Aaron Burbridge, MI - I still think he's going to Michigan if he can qualify -- good luck, kid!

DB: Jarrod Wilson, OH - a true safety .. wow, imagine having one of those!

DB: Wayne Morgan, NY - was once a verbal to M, it'll still be interesting to watch his recruitment play out.

RB: Bri'Onte Dunn, OH - it'll be fun and interesting to see how this all plays out - after the Ohio State fiasco.

Thanks for this list, for those of us who do not follow NCAAF recruiting that closely, this makes it easy.

I'm probably in the minority but I would rather have Garmon than Dunn. Both good size backs, Garmon with better speed.

I have to say, I'm cautiously optimistic about the recruiting class that Hoke is putting together. This on top of saving the 2011 class. I'm more excited about the recruits than anytime under the RR years.

I am a Hoke slappy and a I bow to him as a recruiter. However, I think his saving of the '11 class is overrated. He got guys like Mcclure,Willingham,Cooper etc. interested, but couldn't close the deal to really save us.

I am a Hoke slappy and a I bow to him as a recruiter. However, I think his saving of the '11 class is overrated. He got guys like Mcclure,Willingham,Cooper etc. interested, but couldn't close the deal to really save us.

Fellow slappy here. I think Hoke gets credit for keeping the class together while many predicted disaster. He didn't have time to add to the class in a significant way.

I think hole "saved" the 2011 class as far filling it out with good but not great prospects with little time to do so. The fact they were able to fill the class amid all the drama surrounding the program at the time is good enough for me.

I'm pleased with the 2012 class so far, but the real test will come with the 2013 class, and they will need to show in this upcoming season that Michigan is getting back to its winning ways. If they can do that, I think the 2013 class could be special.

I certainly didn't mean to criticize Hoke's finishing of the class, I just think he did the minimum where as people made it sound like he did something amazing. He didn't keep anyone we were expected to lose or add any big names. We're Michigan, I don't think filling out the class with guys like Tamani Carter, Frank Clark(probably underrated, but not hte point),Ramon Traylor and Keith Heitzman is all that noteworthy. We are one of the bigger name schools and we were known to have a lot of playing time likely available sooner than later. I don't think we were ever going to have all of our recruits leave all of a sudden. RR's first class was probably a more or at least equally impressive feat.

I certainly didn't mean to criticize Hoke's finishing of the class, I just think he did the minimum where as people made it sound like he did something amazing. He didn't keep anyone we were expected to lose or add any big names. We're Michigan, I don't think filling out the class with guys like Tamani Carter, Frank Clark(probably underrated, but not hte point),Ramon Traylor and Keith Heitzman is all that noteworthy. We are one of the bigger name schools and we were known to have a lot of playing time likely available sooner than later. I don't think we were ever going to have all of our recruits leave all of a sudden. RR's first class was probably a more or at least equally impressive feat.

I really don't agree with anything written here. Easily we could have lost more players and lost recruits and it would have been chalked up to hiring him too late and he would have been given a pass by the school, media and fans. As bad as that would have been, that would have been the minimum... there were no expectations of salvaging anything when he arrived.

The fact that he did keep pretty much everyone, including Robinson who I was particularly surprised at (and there was reasonable speculation that he would leave), and kept a respectible recruiting class together was WAY more than the minimum. And frankly, salvaging the 2011 class and keeping the few good player we already had was probably the most important thing Hoke could have done in his first two to three years at the program. This alone, if Hoke and staff are even just average coaches, should stave off any losing seasons which are only going to help him with future recruiting.

If he lost Robinson, Martin, and several decent players in the 2011 class... we are a terrible team next year. He avoided that, and enough can't be said about this.

I really don't agree with anything written here. Easily we could have lost more players and lost recruits and it would have been chalked up to hiring him too late and he would have been given a pass by the school, media and fans. As bad as that would have been, that would have been the minimum... there were no expectations of salvaging anything when he arrived.

The fact that he did keep pretty much everyone, including Robinson who I was particularly surprised at (and there was reasonable speculation that he would leave), and kept a respectible recruiting class together was WAY more than the minimum. And frankly, salvaging the 2011 class and keeping the few good player we already had was probably the most important thing Hoke could have done in his first two to three years at the program. This alone, if Hoke and staff are even just average coaches, should stave off any losing seasons which are only going to help him with future recruiting.

If he lost Robinson, Martin, and several decent players in the 2011 class... we are a terrible team next year. He avoided that, and enough can't be said about this.

I agree.. It could have been a disaster if someone like Denard had fled the program.. who knows how many others would have followed. Hoke did a good job keeping the class &team together.