JonBenke

Michigan 2012 Recruiting Thread

Columnists | U-M, MSU might move up in bid for Ohio's Adolphus Washington | The Detroit News

A very good article in the Detroit News, part two of taking a look at all the top instate Ohio talent.

We pick up where we left off last week chatting with Scout.com Midwest regional manager Allen Trieu, Scout.com Ohio analyst Bill Greene, and Scout.com Ohio analyst and SpartanDigest.com editor Dave Berk about the potential impact of Ohio State's troubles on its ability to keep its best players home. Both Michigan and Michigan State have strengthened their positions with a few Buckeye targets.

Sam Webb: The No. 1 player in Ohio is Cincinnati Taft defensive end Adolphus Washington. I spoke to that kid's dad at length at the Under Armour combine in Orlando last winter and he was adamant about wanting his son to go to Ohio State. He did say, however, that he wouldn't force his son to go to Columbus. I've run into Adolphus at a few events over the last few months and he has consistently stated that he is definitely open to his other suitors. Is that openness more believable to you guys in light of Ohio State's issues? Also, how impactful is it that he wants to be a package deal with his teammate, wide receiver Dewayne Stanford? Where do you think Michigan and Michigan State stands with those two right now?

Dave Berk: I think we were hearing from Adolphus and those close to Adolphus even back at the Columbus Nike camp that Ohio State has really moved down that list. Everyone expected Jim Tressel to fight this thing through, but now that he is no longer the head coach, I think it hurts Ohio State. I really think Michigan may be the program to beat. I think Michigan State is right there, too, because both programs have a willingness to take both players, and as we've learned that is key. (Michigan) defensive coordinator Greg Mattison is doing a great job on selling those guys that he has the NFL ties. He has had success with the NFL. I think kids buy into that. I think Adolphus Washington will look at that as a positive. I also know there is a strong relationship at Taft with Harlon Barnett from Michigan State. They could be the team that surprises everybody when it comes to these two players.

Allen Trieu: There has been some question with people around Ohio State and our insiders as to whether or not Stanford has a committable offer. If it comes out being the case that he does not have one, I think it would affect them greatly because those two definitely want to play together. As far as the recent events at Ohio State go, I think it is going to affect Washington and his dad's stance a little. I think it is a wait-and-see thing with what is going to happen. While they are waiting things out, that opens the door for a lot of schools to come in on Washington and Stanford. As for where Michigan and Michigan State stand, I really think Michigan has a good chance. They need to get those guys on campus. They have shown interest in coming up to visit, which obviously the first step. With Michigan State, I honestly don't hear Michigan State mentioned too much for those guys.

Bill Greene: I do not think Ohio State is a clear favorite for Adolphus Washington, and yes I did say (Ohio State was the favorite) back in February because it was true at the time. It is not now. I talked to his dad when they were at the Nike camp. I would think for Adolphus Washington, Ohio State is there, but Michigan is in really good shape. If he ventures far away from home — and that would involve probably Stanford going with him — I would think Alabama has a shot and I know he likes Miami. He is going to visit Miami and I know he has talked to Al Golden; they made an impression on him. I think he is a wide-open recruit.

Sam Webb: Let's talk about Mentor defensive end Tom Strobel. The 6-6, 250-pounder is a lifelong Ohio State fan, but he has taken a few visits to Michigan and Michigan State. He talked about taking a visit to Stanford. Do you think these teams are going to be able to loosen the Buckeye grip on Tom Strobel?

Allen Trieu: I think the grip on Strobel had been loosened before (Tressel resigned). I really do think he was always going to give Michigan, Notre Dame, and some other schools a legitimate shot. He visited Michigan before all of this even came out. I think Michigan and Notre Dame have a very legitimate shot for Tom Strobel. I think he still will look at Ohio State, but I think it's pretty even across the board for him.

Bill Greene: I would put him in the wide-open category. I think he is a Notre Dame, Michigan battle. I think Ohio State is lurking. I certainly wouldn't put Ohio State as the favorite. I think they've lost a lot of ground with Tom Strobel. I don't see Tom Strobel going 3,000 miles away to Stanford. I could be wrong. If he visits there and falls in love, you never know. But I think Michigan and Notre Dame are in really good shape for him.

Here was part one -- http://detnews.com/article/20110602/OPINION03/106020452/1437/OPINION0363/Experts--OSU%E2%80%99s-woes-could-impact-recruiting-for-U-M--MSU

Edited by JonBenke

So wait, there is two threads now?

It was a good article by the way.

Edit: Nevermind I just saw Biffs post.

Edited by T&P_Fan

It was a good article...

I really like our chances with Washington and Stanford.

I think having Morris already committed and Greg Mattison recruiting Washington pretty hard - helps a lot.

From the PSU 247 site

"We told you in last week’s RCR about how Michigan is handing out ultimatums to recruits: Commit now or we move on. It appeared to work with James Ross and Terry Richardson. Armani Reeves? Not so much.

The cornerback from West Roxbury (Mass.) Catholic Memorial wasn’t quite ready to make his college decision. Now, Michigan is out of the race because of it.

"I decided to move on, they wanted me to commit when I wasn't ready to," Reeves told Lions247, our Penn State affiliate. "I decided not to put myself in that situation. They wanted two corners and I just decided to move on and that's just that. We've pretty much gone our separate ways and I'm looking at other schools now."

From the PSU 247 site

Interesting approach by Michigan. It seems to be working in some capacity.

Benke:

Washington and Stanford would be solid additions to the already well balanced recruiting class.

Benke:

Washington and Stanford would be solid additions to the already well balanced recruiting class.

I wonder if that happened to Wayne Morgan too, he was supposed to commit last week, and never did.

I don't think Michigan is putting pressure on kids, more so than they're trying to mange their numbers.

I think they only wanted 3 LBs, but ended up with 4 .. this can't happen with every position.

When you're only going to take a certain number at a certain position, this stuff happens.

This happened recently with Wayne Morgan, and is why both parted ways ... and they did so nicely.

I think Michigan is also trying to make sure they don't come away from this class without addressing their top two needs. Michigan needs, more than anything, OL and DL .. and thus, they need to mange their numbers, in order to take as many OL/DL as possible. I think they want 3 more OL - Erik Magnuson and Jordan Diamond, plus one more .. and 4 or 5 DL, depending on the names. I know, for instance, they want to take at least two DT, with Ondre Pipkins, Jaleel Johnson, and Sheldon Day the three top names. Everyone knows they want and lead with Chris Wormley, though again, they won't turn away Adolphus Washington. At this point, you have to mange your secondary numbers .. so you're not forced to tell someone like Adolphus Washington - so sorry...

We don't have any room :classic:

I'd much rather have Adolphus Washington than Armani Reeves and/or Wayne Morgan.

Edited by JonBenke

From the PSU 247 site

I think it's absolutely the correct strategy, personally. And it's awfully awfully difficult to carp about it's early returns.

I don't think Michigan is putting pressure on kids, more so than they're trying to mange their numbers.

I would disagree with that assessment a bit. I've read and heard Michigan is charging hard on the trail this year - trying to get as much of their class filled with quality talent, as early as they possibly can. I think Hoke and company have a pretty firm grasp as to where the program is at, and what that may mean for 2011. As I typed in the unmentionable thread, it's typically easier to keep kids than it is to get kids.

Hoke's doing what he has to do to get Michigan Football where he believe it belongs. Again, hard to argue with that strategy, imo.

At this point, you have to mange your secondary numbers .. so you're not forced to tell someone like Adolphus Washington - so sorry...

We don't have any room

If it comes to that...I'm assuming they tell Terry Talbot that they ran out of room! :wink:

Edited by lionstigersand...

I would disagree with that assessment a bit.

I mentioned the LB situation, which I think we both can admit .. wasn't a huge need, though talent was there.

I heard Michigan wanted three, and I think they got the three they wanted, just not in the right order.

That said, I think Michigan needed to manage their numbers better going forward, which I think they are.

Jarrod Wilson, for instance, who M looks good with .. is going to be an early enrollee, which will go against last years class, which helps in the size of commits Michigan can take. Oh, and I hope we can go back to bein civil:)

Edited by JonBenke

I mentioned the LB situation, which I think we both can admit .. was a huge need, though talent was there.

I heard Michigan wanted three, and I think they got the three they wanted, just not in the right order.

That said, I think Michigan needed to manage their numbers better, which I think they are.

Jarrod Wilson, for instance, who Michigan looks good with .. is going to be an early enrollee, which will go against last years class, which helps in the size of commits Michigan can take. I hope we can be back to civil:)

That's essentially true...But the earlier post about OL and DL recruiting is where they really need to "carry the mail" for this class. Lots of work to do there.

I hope we can be back to civil:)

Same here Benke, We can all act civil from now on.

Edited by MSUBrian11
mod making comment out more than it was mean't to be

But the earlier post about OL and DL recruiting is where they really need to "carry the mail" for this class.

Lots of work to do there.

I agree 100%, which is why Michigan has to watch their numbers.

Getting Erik Magnuson and Jordan Diamond will be huge, and hopefully they can get 'em both - ASAP.

EDIT: if Erik Magnuson leaves Ann Arbor without committing, I'm going to be nervous about him going forward.

Same here Benke, no need to run off and report any posts. We can all act civil from now on.

You know what?

I've had JUST about enough of you.

Jon did not, repeat, NOT report any post, and AGAIN your post here is LOOKING TO START TROUBLE.

I will be conferring with other moderators, but if it was up to me right now, you'd be gone and for good.

Get me??

You know what?

I've had JUST about enough of you.

Jon did not, repeat, NOT report any post, and AGAIN your post here is LOOKING TO START TROUBLE.

I will be conferring with other moderators, but if it was up to me right now, you'd be gone and for good.

Get me??

How am I looking to start trouble??? I already said it is time to act civil, things have gotten out of hand in the other thread (evident by it being locked)

And if I'm out for good like you say, here is my farewell message.

I love you guys, GO GREEN...4 in a row coming up in October, can you feel it????? Keep the UM posters in line during the regular season, it should be a fun one.

Regards,

MSUBrian11 4 Life

Edited by MSUBrian11

Oh, please.

This "innocent" act is sooooo old.

Your "no need to run off and report any posts" directed at JonBenke is yet again, another shot.

Do you honestly think we're that stupid???

Do you?

Oh, please.

This "innocent" act is sooooo old.

Your "no need to run off and report any posts" directed at JonBenke is yet again, another shot.

Do you honestly think we're that stupid???

Do you?

Do whatever you want.. You're making the comment out way more than it was meant to be. And in fact are turning this thread into what ruined the previous one (unnecessary arguing between posters), so I'm just gonna stop at this post.

He's done nothing but start trouble in my experience, and when you have as short a posting history as he does, it's pretty telling.

The sniping stops now.

That's just great!!! As a conciliation and show of solidarity, I was going to offer an all-expenses paid snipe-hunting trip, to some of board's maize and blue faithful!

The sniping stops now.

First of all...unreal. MSUBrian has posted enough for us to tell when he is or isnt starting any trouble. It was obvious to me, as a Michigan fan, that he was being genuine.

The fighting started just now because of a moderator who didnt understand the tone of a poster. Sorry for sniping, but it had to be said. MSUBrian was being nice and a moderator started a fight.

I know MSU fans posted in the other thread something about Macgarret Kings announcing MSU is his leader over FSU. FSU's site did a recruiting board today, in which it lists their top targets at each position. I dont see his name listed (and they list 13 potential WR targets). So if FSU is your competition for him, and he doesnt have an offer (conflicting reports, but even if HE DOES have an offer, we would have to miss on a lot of guys before we would take him), I havent seen a report saying our coaching staff has contacted him and our recruiting site doesnt even list him on our big board, than Id say you are in good shape.

Edited by Johnny Mac

I know MSU fans posted in the other thread something about Macgarret Kings announcing MSU is his leader over FSU. FSU's site did a recruiting board today, in which it lists their top targets at each position. I dont see his name listed (and they list 13 potential WR targets). So if FSU is your competition for him, and he doesnt have an offer (conflicting reports, but even if HE DOES have an offer, we would have to miss on a lot of guys before we would take him), I havent seen a report saying our coaching staff has contacted him and our recruiting site doesnt even list him on our big board, than Id say you are in good shape.

Something isn't adding up with him either. They are saying on Spartan Mag, that they are not even sure he has an MSU offer at this point. He probably got it confused with an offer to camp.

Something isn't adding up with him either. They are saying on Spartan Mag, that they are not even sure he has an MSU offer at this point. He probably got it confused with an offer to camp.

It's not that uncommon...Anyone recall the comical recruitment of Emanuel Bawa?