I will definitely be interested in adding a hydrogen car position in the next year or so.  

Unfortunately Toyota (And Honda, sort of) seem to be the market leaders right now.  Not exactly a growth stock.  

Down 15% today.

These are short sellers so they do have an ulterior motive here.  But you have to wonder what GM was thinking getting involved in this.

The first thing I saw when opened up this thread was "Bigglesworth, Inc"

Followed by "Down 15% today"

On 9/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, Deleterious said:

I will definitely be interested in adding a hydrogen car position in the next year or so.  

Unfortunately Toyota (And Honda, sort of) seem to be the market leaders right now.  Not exactly a growth stock.  

hydrogen is a mirage. There is no hydrogen to burn. Almost all of the hydrogen on the planet is already in the form of water - its chemical potential energy already spent. The rest is attached to carbon, meaning you already have a better fuel (a hydrocarbon) than H2 without separating it. You can only  practically make large volumes of  're-energized" H2 from water with electricity from solar/wind energy but the thermodynamic losses in making H2 and putting it in a tank for a car pretty much negate any advantage of just using the solar/wind to make electricity to put in the car directly with a battery. H2 fueled cars exist pretty much for one  reason alone, which is to allow manufacturers to demo a vehicle that produces only water as a waste product. That there is no actual energy economy or ecological value to it is too complex an analysis to interfere with the good video visuals

I don't care about the tech or if it works.  I car how people are going to react to a new startup pushing that tech.  

20 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't care about the tech or if it works.  I car how people are going to react to a new startup pushing that tech.  

sure - as long as that is your objective. I just wouldn't want anyone to be pulled into another hype machine with less than opened eyes.

When I first saw something about Nikola on an ad somewhere, I thought it was another off shoot of Elons, because Tesla...Nikola....seems to be a blatant attempt to ride the coat tails of Elons right now.  Apparently they have been around since 2016

1. Stimulus from the Fed and Congress

2. Expectations of a strong recovery

3. The dominance of the tech giants

4. The return of individual investors

5. Momentum trading

Those are their 5 reasons.

Nikola stock hasn't tanked yet.  This is why I want in on the ground floor of some startup that has new tech like this.  Look at what has been revealed about this company and the stock is still holding, for the most part.

1. They have missed every single production deadline.  They have missed dates they were supposed to start delivering cars.  They are so far behind they don't even have a factory yet.

2. The factory they broke ground on doesn't exist.  I posted that video of the woman who drove out to the site.  It was totally empty with just two holes in the ground they dug with the shovels for pictures at the ground breaking.  No steel on site, no concrete, no construction equipment.

3. That report released last week basically claiming the entire company is a fraud.  That they took other companies equipment, covered the name plates, and claimed it as their own prototypes.  Yeah, short sellers released the report but that doesn't mean it is wrong.

4. They admitted to faking a demonstration.

5. Now the SEC is sniffing around.

SEC Examining Nikola Over Short Seller’s Fraud Allegations

People/Investors find new tech to be sexy.  Doesn't matter if it works or if it will ever work.  

There is a great chance to double dip on this.  Make money on the way up and then short the **** out of it when it inevitably implodes.  Timing that implosion might be a bit tricky though.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

1. Stimulus from the Fed and Congress

2. Expectations of a strong recovery

3. The dominance of the tech giants

4. The return of individual investors

5. Momentum trading

Those are their 5 reasons.

I think #1 is the big one that makes today different from the past and it's been going on for a while now.

The other big one is #2.  This recession did not happen by accident.   It was caused by a deliberate shutdown, so once things are opened up completely, things should comeback...unless of course it goes on too long and some changes become permanent which is a distinct possibility. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The other big one is #2.  This recession did not happen by accident.   It was caused by a deliberate shutdown, so once things are opened up completely, things should comeback

That doesn't get discusses enough IMO.

19 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That doesn't get discusses enough IMO.

It is all I am holding out hope for.  I keep borrowing and borrowing whatever I can to keep things floating because I have a strong feeling if we make it through to the other side things will pick up.

Apple continues to impress me.

The Apple One subscription service was announced today, which is basically a one price subscription for all of their services.  

They also announced fitness+ which will go with their watches.  Gives you workout plans, your vitals while working out, etc.  The feeling is that eventually they will sell that data, possibly to your health insurance provider in an attempt to get you lower premiums.  It will be an opt in service with you getting a cut of the sale, or more likely a lower monthly subscription price.

They also announced their new chip, which is called the A14.  It will be the first chip ever to use the 5 nanometer process technology.  The chip will have 40% more transistors on it than their previous 7 nanometer chip.  It will have over 11 billion transistors on it.  

Just bought PFE and SRPT.  I am hopeful something is in the works, not for COVID, but something else that is personal for us.  I think the old adage was not to invest with your heart, do not "fall in love" with a stock...f^%^ all that.

I am just dumbfounded why it took me so long to realize I should be investing in those stocks.

I feel like the modern world is being battled on between Google and Apple.  There are others out there, small players, but the world and the tech that goes with it feels like it lives and dies with those 2 companies.

Big Tech Drives the Stock Market Without Much U.S. Help

For the past five years, a small group of tech stocks has had an outsized influence on U.S. markets. Two-thirds of the gains in the S&P500 have been driven by just six U.S. companies -- Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google (Alphabet) -- the so-called FAANG stocks -- and Microsoft. An index of those six stocks is up more than 62% since the March lows, while the S&P 500 is up about 40%.

Article is a few months old, but still relevant.  

More tech craziness.

Snowflake’s Stock Price Soars in IPO

Snowflake Inc.’s SNOW +123.10% shares skyrocketed on their first day of trading, giving the biggest tech IPO of the year a valuation of roughly $75 billion and feeding the recent bout of enthusiasm around initial public offerings.

Shares of the data-warehousing company recently traded at $269.06, more than double their IPO price of $120 and more than triple what the company initially targeted a week ago for its offering. Just after the stock opened, it traded as high as $319. Wednesday’s ascent means the company is now valued at more than five times the $12.4 billion valuation it notched in a private funding round in February of this year.

You can probably already guess.  But they are not profitable yet.

Like many startups to hit public markets, Snowflake isn’t profitable, but it has grown rapidly. For the six-month period ended July 31, the company lost $171.3 million and had revenue of $242 million, which more than doubled from the year-ago period. Its loss for the fiscal year ended Jan. 31 nearly doubled to $348.5 million from the previous year, though revenue almost tripled to $264.7 million.

This doesn't seem believable.  

Walmart to raise wages, paying staff up to $30 per hour

So some of my daily reading includes a couple of online trucker forums.  For some reason driving for Walmart is considered one of the best jobs in the industry.  Odd considering their other jobs are considered some of the worst.  

Makes me sad they can't even mention Apple.

Forbes reported that Apple has been hiring a ton of new people in cloud infrastructure positions.  Would be nice if they created their own service.