14 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

U.S. Existing-Home Sales Surged 24.7% in July

5.86 million sales.   Highest rate since 2006.

Is it individuals buying houses or a place like BlackRock buying homes and turning them into rentals.  Are we Bedford Falls or Pottersville?  

my BIL is a realtor, nothing big, it's a second job, but he said he had one of his biggest months in 5 years doing it.

Strictly from a financial standpoint.  I have been 100% wrong about everything when it comes to the pandemic.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

my BIL is a realtor, nothing big, it's a second job, but he said he had one of his biggest months in 5 years doing it.

Tried selling my MIL home after she passed in March, no good, BUT my realtor did say he was having his best year ever even WITH COVID.

25 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Strictly from a financial standpoint.  I have been 100% wrong about everything when it comes to the pandemic.

My stocks are killing it, but my business is on the edge of collapse.  I am not sure how much longer we can hold out.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Soon you will have 5 shares.

In 30 years I'm going to wow people and tell them how smart I was to buy Tesla well under $500.  I will just leave out the part about selling Tesla well under $500.  

Musk the "everyman" making it possible for many to own his stock...I guess it makes sense with how he uses social media.  I have no idea if splitting is the best thing to do or not in the long run.  Short term it seems great.

I wish I was smart enough to get in on Tesla for under 500.00.  For the short period of time I have had enough money to actually put away I have only sold one stock/fund and it was yesterday.  I did a butt ton of research when I first got in the game and was thinking long term and put the money in what, based on my research, was going to be the best option long term based on my risk tolerances.  So far so good <knock on wood>.

I put a little into Bitcoin/litecoin when I thought that was going to explode....it did the exact opposite....I did "win" when investing in Groundfloors equity....that one is doing solid, but still not a "real" stock yet.

Is not splitting like Berkshire...more of a "prestige" type thing?  The "I hold shares in Berkshire" nose in the air kind of thing....or is there other legit reasons NOT to split....seems like most do end up splitting.

15 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

My stocks are killing it, but my business is on the edge of collapse.  I am not sure how much longer we can hold out.

That's a microcosm of our whole economy right now.

Sorry to hear about your business situation.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That's a microcosm of our whole economy right now.

Sorry to hear about your business situation.  

Thanks

My stock situation in my IRA have allowed me to re-think my retire date, in a good way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Passing along FWIW

Good news! Thanks!

If we made a list of antiquated things still chugging along solely based on tradition, the DJIA would be at the top of the list.

• Like 1

Wondering how much of the real estate market is folks who have been working remotely since the beginning and see no real change in the future. They realize they can live where they want rather than where they have to.

4 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Wondering how much of the real estate market is folks who have been working remotely since the beginning and see no real change in the future. They realize they can live where they want rather than where they have to.

could be. Still, I'm not sure I would make such a long term decision based on what will probably go down in history as an an aberrant period.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

My first mutual fund selling and purchasing in close to 10 years happened a few weeks ago.  Sold TOPHX and bought BREFX, not necessarily based on the current market, but the stock itself has been doing very well since its inception.

Fidelity Investments’ chief strategist is heading a new bitcoin index fund that appears to be Wall Street’s latest play for high-dollar institutional crypto bets.

Why would anyone buy that and not just $100K of actual Bitcoin?

I know I know, people buy GLD or GDX when they could just buy the actual gold.  But shipping and storing $100K worth of gold bars isn't really practical.  You are paying the management fee for them shipping/storing it.  You don't really need to do that with Bitcoin.  

I am trying to make sense of this....this is not a humble brag, it just kind of boggles my mind a little.  I got in investing about 10 years ago and other than buying a TSLA stock last week and changing one fund for another, also last week, I do not day trade or move anything around.  We do contribute to the funds we do have on a weekly basis and I always get confused if the %total gain/loss that is listed takes the money we put into it into account or if it is just the fund performance?  My OVERALL fund performance over 8 different funds is 130.77%.

That just seems unreal to me.....am I just a lucky SOB or are there weird things coming in the market that will level this out over the last 10 years?

I try to keep up with this thread because you guys always seem to have a pulse for this, but with everything else going on I just kind of thank god my funds are doing well and just put it in the back of my brain.  I just do not understand how that % can be right, but it has always been high like that...even before COVID.  I always feel like I am missing something that should be obvious with investing.

16 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am trying to make sense of this....this is not a humble brag, it just kind of boggles my mind a little.  I got in investing about 10 years ago and other than buying a TSLA stock last week and changing one fund for another, also last week, I do not day trade or move anything around.  We do contribute to the funds we do have on a weekly basis and I always get confused if the %total gain/loss that is listed takes the money we put into it into account or if it is just the fund performance?  My OVERALL fund performance over 8 different funds is 130.77%.

That just seems unreal to me.....am I just a lucky SOB or are there weird things coming in the market that will level this out over the last 10 years?

I try to keep up with this thread because you guys always seem to have a pulse for this, but with everything else going on I just kind of thank god my funds are doing well and just put it in the back of my brain.  I just do not understand how that % can be right, but it has always been high like that...even before COVID.  I always feel like I am missing something that should be obvious with investing.

You definitely got in at the right time.  It's been a great ten years to be in the market!  Nobody knows what's going to happen with the market in the future, but I doubt the next ten years will be as fruitful simply because it can't keep going up at this rate forever.  Can it?  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

You definitely got in at the right time.  It's been a great ten years to be in the market!  Nobody knows what's going to happen with the market in the future, but I doubt the next ten years will be as fruitful simply because it can't keep going up at this rate forever.  Can it?  

What a load of crap.  I know exactly what the market is going to do.  I make a move, it goes the opposite way.  Easy.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have no idea, but I would think not.  I guess I am just more concerned about what those next 10 years will look like.  No one knows, really, but a good average as I have always been told is about 10% so I guess as long as it does not drop into oblivion the next 10 years it will most likely average out to that.  That is total market rate though so you have some really bad funds that drop badly then you have really good ones that keep going up and in the end the average for the whole market usually keeps up with inflation?  I really have not studied the market at all, but once I started just giving it a cursory glance it feels like the market is there to keep up with inflation as a whole and sometimes goes a little in either direction.

I see a lot of social security print outs in my work.  I see guys who were making a ton of money for the time back in the 50's etc and look at what that would be today, even if they saved in traditional savings accounts and how it would never be enough to keep up with inflation.  30 years from now that is going to be me, the market is supposed to help offset that I guess..