Jump to content

Recommended Posts

U.S. companies found ways to avoid taxes before tax bill: report - Reuters

FTA:
 

Quote

Amazon (AMZN.O) received a $137 million federal rebate on $5.4 billion in U.S. profits, resulting an effective tax rate of negative 2.5 percent, by using a tax break that allows companies to write off the value of executive stock options, according to ITEP.

With a P/E ratio over 300.

Bernie Madoff would be proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good night to be an owner of NFLX.

The "Everything Bubble" on full display.

Insanity.  P/E of 215.  One of the FANGS.  Or as some call it;

Five_Horsemen_Apr_16_2018.png

It will be spectacular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the end game for Netflix.

Amazon made some sense when they were burning through cash.  They were building infrastructure, warehouses and a distribution network, etc.  Eventually that would stop and their existing sales would equal a profit, which it did.

But Netflix can't stop building their infrastructure, which is new programming.  Unless they massively increase their customer base, I don't see how they ever make a profit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe pot stocks aren't a good idea.

Oregon Grew More Cannabis Than Customers Can Smoke. Now Shops and Farmers Are Left With Mountains of Unwanted Bud.

Quote

It turns out Oregonians are good at growing cannabis—too good.

In February, state officials announced that 1.1 million pounds of cannabis flower were logged in the state's database.

If a million pounds sounds like a lot of pot, that's because it is: Last year, Oregonians smoked, vaped or otherwise consumed just under 340,000 pounds of legal bud.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of BS in this article.

More restaurants go cashless, accept only cards and other forms of payment

Plastic is not faster.  Possibly if customers are paying at a register, I don't know.  But when our servers take your bill up, cash is faster 100 times out of 100.  Especially with the newer cards that take forever to authenticate. 

As a customer, cash seems faster to me at the grocery store.  I never get held up by someone paying cash, always a credit customer.  Although, you idiots could make things faster by putting your card in as the clerk rings up your items and get the approval process going.  

Yes, there is a cost associated with cash.   You have to pay someone to haul it off.  Some banks charge you a fee to deposit cash (Seriously).  You have to pay someone to count it.  But all of this is much cheaper than the percentage credit/debit card companies charge to process a transaction.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

A lot of BS in this article.

More restaurants go cashless, accept only cards and other forms of payment

Plastic is not faster.  Possibly if customers are paying at a register, I don't know.  But when our servers take your bill up, cash is faster 100 times out of 100.  Especially with the newer cards that take forever to authenticate. 

As a customer, cash seems faster to me at the grocery store.  I never get held up by someone paying cash, always a credit customer.  Although, you idiots could make things faster by putting your card in as the clerk rings up your items and get the approval process going.  

Yes, there is a cost associated with cash.   You have to pay someone to haul it off.  Some banks charge you a fee to deposit cash (Seriously).  You have to pay someone to count it.  But all of this is much cheaper than the percentage credit/debit card companies charge to process a transaction.  

I wonder how many people today even carry cash?  Cash is used quite a bit here in Cornhole, but in the bigger cities I wonder if the opposite is true.  We have places who WON'T accept cards.  All our kids (who live in bigger cities) use cards for everything, or pay via their phone.

And then there is the issue with what to do with ALL THE FUC*ING CHANGE.  I won't get started on that (as I continue to build my own version of Fort Knox).

I use cash for as much as I can - mainly to avoid the fees - because, you know, *UCK THE BANKS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot - BS in an article?  No, tell me it ain't so. Our "press" is about as useless as a one legged man in an *** kicking contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

A lot of BS in this article.

More restaurants go cashless, accept only cards and other forms of payment

Plastic is not faster.  Possibly if customers are paying at a register,

Yeah - with network upgrades and chipped cards I would say my customer experience is that the at the register customer card reader with no sig or electronic sig pad is now almost always faster than me sorting bills to offer, the clerk making change and me sorting and stowing the change before walking off. And not just restaurants - pretty much true anywhere the clerk doesn't handle my card and there is no paper sig.

Whether there is a net pay back to the vendor in term of cashier manhours saved or register throughput versus the bank charges is quite the different question of course.

Quote

I wonder how many people today even carry cash?  

I usually end up  with no cash most of the time exactly because since I don't find myself needing it, I don't bother to go get any very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carry cash, but not much more than I need for lunch and any other planned bar/restaurant outing. I get lunch from a food cart pretty much every day, and given the options of

  • paying cash for the normal price,
  • charging at normal price and letting the vendor take a hit, and
  • charging for an extra 50¢,

I'll pay cash every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually have a 50.00 or 100.00 bill turning to dust in my wallet folded up in thiiirds.  I once in awhile have to give it to the wife to go towards what we owe the sitter if she forgot to hit the bank.  I use my card for everything.  I tried balancing our monthly budget by giving the wife 'x' amount of cash to use on groceries etc, but it never worked.  She always ended up just taking the money from the card anyway which jacked the budget up even more.

I also use to try and keep a small amount of cash in the safe at home to pay for the sitter etc.  'Hey we have this cash here...let'***** the casino!'  lol That idea did not work either.

 

That little ***** up there was an apostrophe with an s and the word hit!  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lady at the gas station told me she's had people pay for a .35 cent cup of coffee with a credit card.  I would tell them to **** off.  I do see places that have signs that read X minimum credit card transaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, screwball said:

The lady at the gas station told me she's had people pay for a .35 cent cup of coffee with a credit card.  I would tell them to **** off.  I do see places that have signs that read X minimum credit card transaction.

Most have minimums, but some places will let you charge whatever.  I have a few random bucks laying around my office and in my truck tucked away somewhere, but I am not the type to go buy something for a buck anyway.  I will not just walk into a gas station and buy a cup of coffee for instance.  When I go out for lunch it is usually like 6-7 bucks and I always pay with my card for that, but that is about the smallest amount I will charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Most have minimums, but some places will let you charge whatever.  I have a few random bucks laying around my office and in my truck tucked away somewhere, but I am not the type to go buy something for a buck anyway.  I will not just walk into a gas station and buy a cup of coffee for instance.  When I go out for lunch it is usually like 6-7 bucks and I always pay with my card for that, but that is about the smallest amount I will charge.

You are in a larger city too.  Cornhole is a little ****hole out in the sticks.  Many smaller places don't have card readers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paying for cash is definitely faster, although you might lose some time making extra trips to the bank/ATM if you spend cash all the time.  I use cash whenever possible, but will use my card for more expensive items.  One place where I always use a card is at gas stations.  It's quicker to use the card, then to go inside and pay cash.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cash is quicker - depending on who is making the change.

Some, who cannot tell how much to give back without the register telling them (which is about everyone) can be slower than syrup in Siberia.

Give them one of these and their brain would blow up;

il_340x270.1442160858_ink3.jpg?version=1

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Paying for cash is definitely faster, although you might lose some time making extra trips to the bank/ATM if you spend cash all the time.  I use cash whenever possible, but will use my card for more expensive items.  One place where I always use a card is at gas stations.  It's quicker to use the card, then to go inside and pay cash.  

The chip readers make debit cards incredibly fast.  Using that is much faster than cash in my experience.  I guess it depends on the retailer.  I usually use self service machines and have on occasion had to use cash to feed them.  With a live person standing there you have to take the cash out of your pocket, hand the cash over wait for change, engage in chit chat if the cashier is friendly (which they usually are not), but with a card I insert the card stare at the screen for a few seconds and bam all done.

Honestly the difference in one persons experience either way is not enough to justify any kind of discussion on the topic.  I think both modes of payment are fine in terms of time per transaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The chip readers make debit cards incredibly fast.  Using that is much faster than cash in my experience.  I guess it depends on the retailer.  I usually use self service machines and have on occasion had to use cash to feed them.  With a live person standing there you have to take the cash out of your pocket, hand the cash over wait for change, engage in chit chat if the cashier is friendly (which they usually are not), but with a card I insert the card stare at the screen for a few seconds and bam all done.

Honestly the difference in one persons experience either way is not enough to justify any kind of discussion on the topic.  I think both modes of payment are fine in terms of time per transaction.

Better than the cesspool known as the political forum.  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

The chip readers make debit cards incredibly fast.  Using that is much faster than cash in my experience.  I guess it depends on the retailer.  I usually use self service machines and have on occasion had to use cash to feed them.  With a live person standing there you have to take the cash out of your pocket, hand the cash over wait for change, engage in chit chat if the cashier is friendly (which they usually are not), but with a card I insert the card stare at the screen for a few seconds and bam all done.

Honestly the difference in one persons experience either way is not enough to justify any kind of discussion on the topic.  I think both modes of payment are fine in terms of time per transaction.

It usually only becomes an issue when the person in line in front of me gets their card rejected or some kind of foul up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, screwball said:

Better than the cesspool known as the political forum.  ;-)

True, but still not meaningful in any way.  REAL, meaningful discussion.  There just is not much of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, screwball said:

Better than the cesspool known as the political forum.  ;-)

It may be a cesspool, but it's our little cesspool that we grew from scratch and nurtured into maturity! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, screwball said:

The lady at the gas station told me she's had people pay for a .35 cent cup of coffee with a credit card.  I would tell them to **** off.  I do see places that have signs that read X minimum credit card transaction.

We have candy machines in our building that take plastic. I have to admit it SB, when I've needed a chocolate fix and was cash broke, I've paid the stupid premium and used my card. Addiction knows not of reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...