Deleterious

Pistons Offseason

****in' owners got greedy. I hate the idea of losing the season, but the players absolutely positively have no other choice. The owners had leverage, they got a TON of givebacks and could have gotten a really nice deal out of all this. Now they got too greedy, started making extreme ultimatums and the players told them to F off. They are going to lose 100s of millions over this and I'm glad. Its too bad really but I'm glad the players didn't accept and hope they hold strong.

So there goes the season?

Most likely. Billy Hunter said its possible they could have a decision on the lawsuit within 60 days. That would put them in the middle of January. In 98-99 they had a 50 game season that started on Feb 5th. So not all hope is lost, but the odds of no season went up quite a bit.

I don't think lawsuit decision = season on. I am waiting for someone to write the definitive dercert article but from what I have gleaned from the history of NFL de-certifications seems that could just be a judgement to pay players that were harmed from restricting trade. It doesn't seem like Judge Doty (who it seems like would handle the anti-trust side) will do anything drastic, like abolish the salary cap or impose an injunction. I think the best a lawsuit can do is put pressure on the owners to come back to the table. Problem I see is many owners legitimately have losses, even if they lose they may just appeal decision and keep lockout going until the players break.

Ed. I am wrong...the lawsuit Hunter is talking about would be for injunction and lockout declared illegal. It wouldn't be Doty. But even if the players won an injunction, it would be appealed, like the NFL did.

Edited by tigerz
new info

It's kind of like the NFL lock out. I don't really want to get messed into all the legal stuff this or that. Just tell me when you find it important to play the game you are adequately paid to play or adequately compensated for (whether it be directly or indirectly) for owning a team.

I'm kind of getting antsy to want to see some games. I think it's just in your body seeing what time of year it is and you "know what you do" at this time.

I know one thing - My wife is enjoying the lockout. Although it always seemed she could find something of trivial interest with a Pistons' game moreso than other sports.

I thought the Pistons being off would make me kind of go back to the Wings again, like I was a Wings fan 15 years ago. So far, it hasn't.

It will be interesting to see what this does to Stuckey. Ken Berger said contracts continue to run, even if the season is lost. He got the qualifying offer which locked him up for this season. But with no new contract, he would be unrestricted next year.

This is also huge for teams like Orlando and New Jersey. They needed this past summer and the trade deadline to impress Howard and Williams. Both guys are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer. Imagine losing your franchise player and not even have the trade deadline to move him for some picks or something. Brutal.

It will be interesting to see what this does to Stuckey. Ken Berger said contracts continue to run, even if the season is lost. He got the qualifying offer which locked him up for this season. But with no new contract, he would be unrestricted next year.

This is also huge for teams like Orlando and New Jersey. They needed this past summer and the trade deadline to impress Howard and Williams. Both guys are set to become unrestricted free agents this summer. Imagine losing your franchise player and not even have the trade deadline to move him for some picks or something. Brutal.

Any idea what would happen with the lottery? No matter what happens, with no season the Pistons probably get screwed because we probably would have been one of the 5 worst teams in basketball this year. Even playing a 50 game season would help our cause in a loaded draft.

Just to throw my 2 cents in on the amnesty clause, I would hope we cut Ben Gordon. He makes 4 million more per year than CV, which is a good chunk of change. Both are not part of the solution so we should not worry about who has more value to the team. Use the amnesty clause on Gordon and cut Villanueva and just eat the money.

Any idea what would happen with the lottery? No matter what happens, with no season the Pistons probably get screwed because we probably would have been one of the 5 worst teams in basketball this year. Even playing a 50 game season would help our cause in a loaded draft.

Just to throw my 2 cents in on the amnesty clause, I would hope we cut Ben Gordon. He makes 4 million more per year than CV, which is a good chunk of change. Both are not part of the solution so we should not worry about who has more value to the team. Use the amnesty clause on Gordon and cut Villanueva and just eat the money.

There is no answer for that yet, just a lot of speculation. A lot of people are suggesting they use the same method the NHL used after its lockout.

If NBA loses full season, what might next draft look like? | ProBasketballTalk

The NHL elected to use a lottery and cooked up a creative solution. The amount of lottery balls a team had was based on two criteria: the number of times a team made the playoffs the last three seasons and the number of times a team had drafted No. 1 in the previous three drafts. Using that model, four teams (the New York Rangers, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Columbus) each had three of the 48 balls in the bin. Ten teams had two balls and 16 had one.

A team in China has some interest in Stuckey.

American basketball players flocking to China

Including Yi, the defending champions have eight national team players and a number of national youth team players. Their only American player for now is James Singleton, but the club is contacting Rodney Stuckey and Delonte West, one of whom may come to China, sources told me.

Good article talking about free agency if the season is lost. There will be tons of talent available if that happens. For one, it was going to be a pretty good class anyway. But then you add in the players that would have been free agents this year and it gets really deep.

The (second) greatest free-agency class ever - CBSSports.com

Good article talking about free agency if the season is lost. There will be tons of talent available if that happens. For one, it was going to be a pretty good class anyway. But then you add in the players that would have been free agents this year and it gets really deep.

The (second) greatest free-agency class ever - CBSSports.com

If you snapped your fingers and had an expansion team, you could make a few pretty darn good teams with that selection of players.

Early estimates are the salary cap will be about $58M this year. Pistons without cap holds are at $50M right now. With cap holds of people I think will/could be back they are at $63.2M. The people I include on that list are Stuckey, Wilcox, and Jerebko. If you include Prince that number jumps to $80M.

ShamSports.com: Explanation of what the free agents cap holds page is all about

Question: What is a cap hold and why may I want to ask that?

Answer: Your team's free agents have what is called a "cap hold." This is an amount of money that is charged to your team's salary cap number, even though the player isn't under contract. This is a deliberate ploy that exists to close a loophole; if cap holds didn't exist, it's theoretically possible for a team to have its entire roster become free agents at the same time, have their entire cap to spend on other team's free agents, and then use Bird rights to re-sign their own ones afterwards. And that would be disingenuous. This way, your free agents eat into your cap room, forcing you to prioritise a bit better. And the players below have cap holds (also known as "free agent amounts") that have not yet been renounced, making them technically interesting. Technically.

They could lower those numbers if they decide to use the amnesty clause on someone.

With how close up against that cap we are, I think I hope we amnesty Ben. That 11 mil will give us some serious breathing room and Charlie can probably be dealt for an expiring, letting us out of his deal a few years early. That would be a huge combination of moves IMO. Rip comes off sooner than Ben and Rips a good fit in Frank's offense from what I hear.

New MLE details.

If you are under the luxury tax, you can pay $5M per year for four years. If you are over the luxury tax you can pay $3M per year for four years. Notice that is the luxury tax, not salary cap.

With how close up against that cap we are, I think I hope we amnesty Ben. That 11 mil will give us some serious breathing room and Charlie can probably be dealt for an expiring, letting us out of his deal a few years early. That would be a huge combination of moves IMO. Rip comes off sooner than Ben and Rips a good fit in Frank's offense from what I hear.

The more I look at our cap situation the more it makes sense to amnesty Ben Gordon if no one will take him via a trade. I am fine with Rip for another year or two.

New MLE details.

If you are under the luxury tax, you can pay $5M per year for four years. If you are over the luxury tax you can pay $3M per year for four years. Notice that is the luxury tax, not salary cap.

great compromise IMO

2011 NBA Free Agency Buzz 11.30.11 - CBSSports.com

On WEEI in Boston, Jackie MacMullen of ESPN.com and a longtime Celtics writer said that Glen Davis drove the Celtics "crazy" by continuously missing fitness guidelines and chasing stats to help his contract versus the team. All of this leads her to the conclusion he won't be re-signed by the Celtics. Not a huge shocker, considering the way Davis' season ended, but it will make him one of the mid-level free agents on the market. His weight is a long-term issue, but he's also an exteremely capable defender and a player who can finish around the basket. He'll get offers. (HT: RedsArmy)

Possible Piston target?

This actually makes a lot of sense. They are in cost cutting mode right now, they almost traded their lottery pick to dump Hamilton's salary. Cutting a guy when you still have to pay him so you can sign another guy to fill that slot is a move for teams ready to compete, not the Pistons.

The only way its worth it is if you sign Nene or something major like that, though I guess I'd at least have liked to see them amnesty Maxiell or something.

BBD could be an ok fit, but unless he's super cheap, we have too many middling PFs and his weight concerns me as does his attitude. He was a steal as a 2nd rounder, as a guy on an MLE he's no steal at the least.