Deleterious

Pistons Offseason

Do you think Drew Sharps writing is an act? He is usually so wrong it becomes laughable.

Who's the most reliable Detroit sports writer?

Do you think Drew Sharps writing is an act? He is usually so wrong it becomes laughable.

I don't think it is an act, or at least I don't think it was at the time he complained about dealing White.

I liked Mike O'Hara for a while when I read the paper some 20 years ago. I really haven't read it much the last 10 years, and I can't remember too many columnists that I thought highly of.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I remember Drew Sharp going on and on about how we would rue the day the Pistons traded Rodney.

Well that about sums up Drew Sharp's sports knowledge.

Wojo has been the best sportswriter in detroit for a long time.

The (APBRmetric) Top 593 Players of 2012 » Basketball-Reference.com Blog » Blog Archive

That guy uses advanced stats to predict the top 500+ players for 2012. Monroe comes in at 46 which is pretty good. Stuckey (92) is the only other Piston in the top 200. I guess you can count Prince at 147 if you think he is coming back.

That kinda puts STuckey in perspective I think. Maybe not a stud like Joe envisioned, but still one of the 100 best players in this league.

Billy Hunter says the entire season may be lost... My question is..... Does anybody care?

I for one will not support, read about or pay any attention to the NBA until camp starts, whenever or if ever it does! My protest that will be expanded to any pro sports from this moment forward....

I couldnt be more disinterested in the NBA right now. My extreme optimism for the Lions and Maple Leafs coupled with a pennant chase and a Pistons team that will be bad anyway, has my interest in the NBA down to about zero.

I didnt even mention college football and basketball.

I can't wait to see what moves, with new ownership, are going to be made for Detroit myself. The damn lockout will not ruin the whole season. It's just talk, when things get down to the wire, things will get serious.

Yeah, Hunter has to say that. Its all a negotiating ploy.

Not excited now, but will be once the season is supposed to start. Especially after football ends and no other sports are on.

Yeah, Hunter has to say that. Its all a negotiating ploy.

Not excited now, but will be once the season is supposed to start. Especially after football ends and no other sports are on.

Not much of an NHL fan eh Del?

Not much of an NHL fan eh Del?

I was when I was a kid. Just after they won their first cup I started to lose interest. Same with the Tigers.

Football will keep things busy until February. College basketball will fill enough of a void for the 2 weeks before Spring Training. I like the Pistons, but I'll admit I follow them more when they're good.

Gordon interview w/Grantland. He briefly touches on the "player revolt" in Philly last year:

His Own Words: Ben Gordon on the NBA Lockout - The Triangle Blog

Grantland: Last year was a tough year for the Pistons and the bottom hit with reports of players boycotting a shoot-around in protest of the former coach John Kuester. What’s the backstory behind that situation?

Gordon: “Last year, everything that possibly could have went wrong, went wrong. We had a lot of talent. There were a lot of issues in the front office, on the floor, with coaches, with players. It was just a mess. People from the outside looking in don’t realize how bad it was. It wasn’t conducive for playing basketball at a high level and it showed. It was pretty much what everybody saw. Some guys showed up to play. Some guys didn’t show up to play. Whatever point people were trying to prove by showing up or nothing showing up, those points were taken. Six guys showed up. Six guys played and a few other guys decided not to play that night. That was one of the uglier moments during the season. Moving forward, I don’t see that happening anymore. That was probably one of the lowest basketball moments I’ve ever been a part of. Because we’re all a team and we all shared that negative light. Regardless of who played that night, it was bad. But moving forward, I think the emphasis will be much different."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crickets are chirping.

I find it interesting that you couldn't avoid NFL lockout talk if you tried. I watch about 2 minutes of Sportscenter every week (if that), so maybe I'm missing stuff, but I don't ever see anything about the NBA at all - not even on the ESPN news ticker.

You know, after the last couple of Pistons' seasons, I wouldn't mind an abbreviated 40-game season. In fact, it might make the season more exciting - like the one NHL walkout/strike did way back in the day.

A shortened season is the best chance for a team like the Pistons to make the post-season, as a hot week or two constitutes a larger percentage of the schedule.

I don't know if that is in the team's best long-term interest though.

Detroit Pistons - NBA | Source: Pistons hire Dee Brown, Roy Rogers as assistants | The Detroit News

Source: Pistons hire Dee Brown, Roy Rogers as assistants

Vincent Goodwill/ The Detroit News

Pistons coach Lawrence Frank has made two choices for his coaching staff.

Former NBA players Dee Brown and Roy Rogers will sit to Frank's side whenever next season starts, a source confirmed to The Detroit News.

Brown, 42, was most recently the head coach and general manager of the Springfield (Mass.) Armor in the NBA Developmental League (NBDL). Brown also coached the WNBA's Orlando Miracle and San Antonio Silver Stars. He's more known for his exploits during the 1991 Slam Dunk Contest, where he won it with his famous no-look dunk.

Brown played 12 seasons in the NBA, primarily as a member of the Boston Celtics. In his rookie season he was a starter on the Celtics team that lost to the Pistons in the 1991 Eastern Conference semifinals, the last series win of the Bad Boys.

Rogers, 38, played four seasons in the NBA in the late 1990s and most recently was on Doc Rivers' staff in Boston as an assistant alongside Frank. Rogers was also an assistant and scout in New Jersey.

The Pistons hired Frank in August and he has interviewed more than 30 candidates for assistant jobs. Pat Sullivan and Brian Hill, assistants under former coach John Kuester, are still in the running.

Detroit Pistons - NBA | Pete Skorich out as Pistons television chief | The Detroit News

Pete Skorich out as Pistons television chief

Vincent Goodwill/ The Detroit News

Another longtime member of Palace Sports and Entertainment has parted ways with the new regime.

Pete Skorich, executive vice president of broadcasting/brand marketing, will not return for his 31st season, he said. Skorich managed The Palace Television Centers, in-game presentation and oversaw the production of Pistons television shows.

Led by Skorich, his department won a total of 29 Michigan Emmys. When reached by The News, Skorich was upbeat about his future and had nothing bad to say about the new guard, led by Palace Sports and Entertainment president Dennis Mannion.

"I've spent 30 phenomenal years here and I'm looking forward to new opportunities," he said. "I wish the Detroit Pistons and the rest of the Detroit sports teams the best."

Skorich, a Dearborn native and University of Detroit graduate who started with the team at 18, thinks the franchise is simply moving in another direction.

First 2 weeks of the season cancelled. Here are the games the Pistons will miss:

Indiana

@New Jersey

Knicks

@Golden State

@Portland

@Lakers

Missing that early season west coast trip doesn't bug me at all.

I love the west coast trip games because I know I'll be settled at home to watch them live.

It is nice knowing the day will be done and you can enjoy some basketball.

Since no talks are currently scheduled, its probably safe to say more games will be missed. Looking ahead, 2 of the next 4 games are against Indiana, so we probably lose those as well.

Who is the Idiot that schedules a division rival 3 times in the first 10 games of the season?

Who is the Idiot that schedules a division rival 3 times in the first 10 games of the season?

I have never understood NBA scheduling at all. It's a bit different now, but there was a time when teams would play the squads in their division quite a few times a year. They'd do home-and-homes. Why? Why not just have a two-game series at the same venue. You save on travel. You save wear and tear on the players. Plus, if you have a great story line in the first game, you generate excitement for the second game.

Heck, you can still do that now.

I also never undertood the reason why teams had to play four games in five nights, with all of those games being at different venues - maybe sometimes two being home but travel involved in between them.

Looking at this year's schedule is more what I'd want to see - you are either at home for a bit or on the road for awhile - than I recall past year's schedules. I just never understood the bouncing back-and-forth from home to road, to home, to road that seems to occur some years. But looking at this year's schedule, it looks like there would've been very little of that.

This is the first I'm even looking at the schedule. Figuring there'd be a strike/walkout or whatever, I never even thought about purchasing tickets yet this year and never looked at the schedule. Look at that March schedule - at one time there will be nine road games in 10 contests. But at the same respect, it seems when the Pistons are home, they are home for a few games in a row. I like seeing that.

PISTONS: 2011-12 PISTONS SCHEDULE