Deleterious

Pistons Offseason

I am all for clearing cap space but not at the cost of a lottery pick because I don't believe a lot of cap space in free agency is going to do much for this team in the near future.

Agreed. We need young talent real bad.

I am all for clearing cap space but not at the cost of a lottery pick because I don't believe a lot of cap space in free agency is going to do much for this team in the near future.

The Pistons should be trying much harder to trade Ben Gordon than Hamilton IMO.

The thing is, Rip has a lot more demand. I'm sure we are trying harder to deal Gordon, but easier said than done. No giving up the pick though, agreed there.

I like that. If you are going to keep a guy, you can't have him scared and trying to win now instead of building the right way. If you're going ot fire him, you do it now. Since they decided not to, this is the right way to procede.

I fully believe Joe will do a good job too, despite what has transpired recently.

I'd like to think the Pistons are exhausting every option to trade away Rip, Gordon and/or Charlie V.

I don't know if it's really a matter that Joe has a luxury of saying "Yeah, I'd rather dump this one vs. this one." If he can find ONE TEAM, just one miserable rotten stinkin' team to unload any of those guys, there are all rotten contracts. These are your three highest-paid contracts and rank as the top three worst contracts on the team.

I read some of these posts and it seems like people think Joe Dumars has a luxury of hand-picking his deals. And I'm sure I'm overblowing it a bit here. But none of these guys have any significant trade value. All still have at least two seasons remaining on contracts that pay them a ridiculous amount of money. And all three proved last year that they are anything but true professionals at this juncture in their career.

People think Rip has value, what is it? People think Rip has more value than Ben, then if Rip's value is minimal, what makes you think anyone would want Ben. Charlie V? Well, that's a lost cause. I'd pick a ton of playground players before I'd select him on my pickup basketball team. All those people can hit jumpers and I can find a 6-3 guy that likes to attack the hoop as well.

I can think there's two ways you get rid of any of those three...

1) You trade your problem player for someone else's problem player.

2) You get someone to take them with something that is an attractive piece attached to it. That means a draft pick and/or with Greg Monroe.

Honestly, until those become expiring contracts at the end of the season we're playing, or until they elevate their game why else would anyone be willing to take those guys?

So it probably comes down two one of three scenarios for the Pistons next year. You either do one of the two I mentioned above or struggle through another season with the same cast of clowns, scrap next season and hope they become more attractive a year from now when those contracts are within a year of expiring (at least two of them are). Unless someone can prove otherwise, I think if you want to see change next year, you have to look at it under the parameters that exist. You want change? Unless Joe D creates some magic those are your three options. Which one do you chose?

Actually, there is a fourth option. Maybe we can get Charlie V and Ben Gordon to think that they are more attractive on the open market and not take those player options on the final years of their contracts. That would involve a little brainwashing and probably some understanding how electricity impacts the brain, but I guess it's an option.

My bad, my brainwashing theory needs a little work. Since the player options aren't until 13-14, I guess you'd have to prove to the team willing to pick them up after the 11-12 offseason that your methods will work so that they know the players won't want to pick up that 13-14 option after the 12-13 season.

I like that. If you are going to keep a guy, you can't have him scared and trying to win now instead of building the right way. If you're going ot fire him, you do it now. Since they decided not to, this is the right way to procede.

I fully believe Joe will do a good job too, despite what has transpired recently.

I don't know if anyone can really do too much next year anyway considering the three contracts I just made a post about still exist. A couple complimentary picks, some draft picks - maybe some high ones after the team tanks - that's about all you can do.

The Pistons should be trying much harder to trade Ben Gordon than Hamilton IMO.

This is the correct answer, Hamilton is better then Gordon and Hamilton's contract is shorter.

Detroit Pistons - NBA | Pistons will tender Rodney Stuckey qualifying offer | The Detroit News

Pistons will tender Rodney Stuckey qualifying offer

Vincent Goodwill/ The Detroit News

In an expected move, the Pistons will tender guard Rodney Stuckey a $3.8 million qualifying offer this week, as Monday was the first day the team could do so.

The team has until June 30 to make an offer, which would make Stuckey a restricted free agent.

If a team signs Stuckey to an offer sheet in free agency, the Pistons would have a week to match the offer. Weeks ago, Stuckey fired agent Steve Banks and moved onto Leon Rose, who represents LeBron James and teammate Richard Hamilton, among others.

Stuckey, the 14th pick in the 2007 draft, averaged 15.5 points and a career-high 5.2 assists this past season.

Aldridge said this in his latest mock draft.

Mock Draft: Fredette, Walker moving up | NBA.com

Pistons will try to re-sign Tayshaun Prince, but it's not just up to them, and if Prince wants to walk, Detroit will need a three to replace him. (Just a thought: doesn't a sign-and-trade between the Pistons and Clippers, with Compton-born Prince going home to L.A. and Grand Rapids-born Chris Kaman going to Detroit make too much sense not to happen? The Clips desperately need a veteran presence in their locker room, as well as a three, and the Pistons could use a center that would allow them to move emerging Greg Monroe to power forward. Trade for Kaman, take Leonard at eight and, voila! A frontcourt is born.)

Kaman will make $12.7M next year. He has a trade kicker that will pay him 15% of his remaining salary if traded. So that is another $1.905M. So if traded his salary cap number will be $14.6M. That is a ton of money to pay someone so injury prone. Nevermind the fact he isn't the type of player the Pistons need now.

The most interesting part of that blurb was Aldridge saying the Pistons will try to sign Prince. Doesn't he make it sound like if Prince wants to come back, the Pistons will sign him?

The most interesting part of that blurb was Aldridge saying the Pistons will try to sign Prince. Doesn't he make it sound like if Prince wants to come back, the Pistons will sign him?

Im going to ignore the Kaman talk because it seems to have been rumored that he will be traded to the Pistons since 1995.

As for the Prince blurb, I have no idea whats going on there. In my mind Prince was 100% gone, a good veteran who is a UFA who could really help some teams fight for a championship. I cant seem him remaining with the Pistons.

Whats Joes strategy if he does re-sign him?

Tells me they have no faith in Daye. Can't say I blame them. But way to have someone ready to take over.

We don't need Kaman. He's a similar player to Monroe who is younger and (so far) less injury prone. Monroe needs an athletic shot blocker next to him.

You guys already know how I feel about the replacement for Prince in the starting lineup. It's Jonas. Daye can be the scoring spark off the bench at the 3 and split time with Jonas for an offense/defense contrast. I'll keep saying it: This team needs to get bigger, stronger, and more defensive minded. A starting lineup of Jonas, Monroe, Biyombo at the 3-5 would go a long way towards making that happen.

Im going to ignore the Kaman talk because it seems to have been rumored that he will be traded to the Pistons since 1995.

As for the Prince blurb, I have no idea whats going on there. In my mind Prince was 100% gone, a good veteran who is a UFA who could really help some teams fight for a championship. I cant seem him remaining with the Pistons.

Whats Joes strategy if he does re-sign him?

And before him it was Derrick Coleman. But, hey, that eventually happened for about two games when Coleman was near 40. We still have a few years to wait with Kaman.

We don't need Kaman. He's a similar player to Monroe who is younger and (so far) less injury prone. Monroe needs an athletic shot blocker next to him.

You guys already know how I feel about the replacement for Prince in the starting lineup. It's Jonas. Daye can be the scoring spark off the bench at the 3 and split time with Jonas for an offense/defense contrast. I'll keep saying it: This team needs to get bigger, stronger, and more defensive minded. A starting lineup of Jonas, Monroe, Biyombo at the 3-5 would go a long way towards making that happen.

I'd take Al Jefferson before Kaman.

We need more than a shot blocker next to Monroe sadly, we need a post scorer too. I think Monroe's weaknesses hamper our ability to have an ideal frontcourt and we will just have to live with some frontcourt flaws. He does not score well in the post, and he does not block shots and provide fear to opponents on the interior. And post scoring athletic defenders are hard to come by.

I'd offer Jordan quite a bit, 8-10 in the current CBA rules.

I can live with re-upping Prince, but it does look bad for Daye and its only acceptable if at least one of Rip/Ben is gone.

No thanks on Kaman. I echo the negative sentiments above. I do kinda like Al Jefferson. A similar player in Zach Randolph had a lot of success this year.

No way I re-up Tayshaun. Another year of Prince, Hamilton and Ben Wallace dividing the team and ruining another coach?

I love Tayshaun, but his time in Detroit should be over.

I'm still torn on Stuckey. You have to make him the qualifying offer, that's for sure. But has there been a player on the team that's been as effected by the old guard's petulance more than Stuckey? Maybe he can change his attitude with (another) new coach, but if Wallace/Hamilton/Prince come back, I see Stuckey remaining the same selfish, self-absorbed player he's always been.

That not even mentioning that his game hasn't developed much since year one. Can he be the guy we see glimpses of? Overpowering smaller guards and outquicking bigger ones who actually makes a pass to an open teammate? Or will he always be the guy who puts his head down and drives wildly into 3 players, gets his shot blocked, and then doesn't get back on D?

I fear that we will eventually find the answer to that question when we're watching him in another uniform in two years.

If they bring Stuckey back, they need to get him some sort of mentor. I don't care if its an old 3rd PG on the roster or an assistant coach. He needs someone in his hear 82 games and every practice. Someone to pay special attention to him and help him develop as a PG.

Find an older guy who would normally retire and offer him the last roster spot for the vets minimum. Hire Eric Snow as an assistant coach and task him with developing Stuckey.

I still want him gone. But if they do invest long term in him, provide him with every tool he needs to succeed.

I hope Stuckey is ready to develop. From his attitude he seems to think he is already a superstar. If he can just slow the game down and stop rushing everything he has the opportunity to be a big time player.

But I dont see it. I do see Joe wanting to keep him around for awhile though.

If they bring Stuckey back, they need to get him some sort of mentor. I don't care if its an old 3rd PG on the roster or an assistant coach. He needs someone in his hear 82 games and every practice. Someone to pay special attention to him and help him develop as a PG.

Find an older guy who would normally retire and offer him the last roster spot for the vets minimum. Hire Eric Snow as an assistant coach and task him with developing Stuckey.

I still want him gone. But if they do invest long term in him, provide him with every tool he needs to succeed.

I hate to bring up this over-discussed issue, but Billups would have been a great mentor. I wonder where the Pistons would be if they had kept their backcourt together the last few seasons.

I wonder where the Pistons would be if they had kept their backcourt together the last few seasons.

Without Greg Monroe.