14 members have voted

1. 1. Best Era for Collecting Cards

• 1952-73: Topps releasing 6-7 series a year
    • 1974-80: One Topps set all at once
    • 1981-88: The Big Three - Donruss, Fleer, Topps
    • 1989-06: Hundreds of sets, new releases every week
    • 2007-11: Limited sets, limited manufacturers
    • Other

In your opinion, when was the pinnacle of collecting? Back when Topps released 6-7 series a year? Mid to late 70's? The over produced years? Today?

Why?

I'm going with '81-88 because that's the choice that probably best represents my peak collecting years. I started in '78 and started winding down in the early '90s, i.e. my 'poor college student' years.

I can't change my vote but after spending some time on the 1980's sets the past few days, I would re-vote for the 81-88 option. Despite some of the card flaws, it was so much easier back then. The packs and boxes were priced right and there wasn't the insane quantity of inserts, etc to chase that we have today. My collecting heyday as a kid was 77-84, so I'd pinpoint that as my favorite era. I have some unopened packs from back then and just feeling the wax wrappers and the gum inside brings back a lot of nice memories. I'm sure kids from the 1950's and 1960's would say the same thing about their era.

Edited by Los Gatos

1983-1992 is really all I know... so I vote for 1981 - 88.

I've been slowly working my way through my cards and creating a list of missing cards to complete my sets... I know these cards were mass produced and not worth a lot, but it's been a lot of fun to see the cards again. Maybe someday I'll actually complete them. It's brought back a lot of good memories.

I voted for 1952-1973, 'cause 1972 was the year I got started in collecting. Ended my collecting in the early '80's.

Little known fact - in 1973, Topps issued the set in "non-series" (ALL ONE SERIES!) format in selected markets, including my home market of Cincinnati. I didn't realize other markets had "series" that year until many years later.

Little known fact - in 1973, Topps issued the set in "non-series" (ALL ONE SERIES!) format in selected markets, including my home market of Cincinnati. I didn't realize other markets had "series" that year until many years later.
I did not know that!