Sign in to follow this  
MSUBrian11

2011-2012 Michigan State Basketball Thread

At MSU media day, Izzo is extremely optimistic about this team. Saying it can contend for a big ten title, and that he feels better about this team than he has the past 3 years (there were 2 final fours in those three years).

Says the starters are Appling, Wood, Dawson, Green, Payne/Nix. Byrd is healthy, Gauna being compared to Suton. Izzo saying he'd be surprised if Appling isn't best defensive player in the big ten, one of the best athletes he's had. Huge praise, all around, this is weird for Izzo. But it sure is getting me excited (outside of those first two games...).

At MSU media day, Izzo is extremely optimistic about this team. Saying it can contend for a big ten title, and that he feels better about this team than he has the past 3 years (there were 2 final fours in those three years).

Says the starters are Appling, Wood, Dawson, Green, Payne/Nix. Byrd is healthy, Gauna being compared to Suton. Izzo saying he'd be surprised if Appling isn't best defensive player in the big ten, one of the best athletes he's had. Huge praise, all around, this is weird for Izzo. But it sure is getting me excited (outside of those first two games...).

I really like Appling's potential as a defender from what I saw last year. I'm not sure he's a point guard though.

This State team has some interesting athletes, but I'm not sure how it all fits together. It will be interesting to see what Izzo can make of them.

Gary Harris visits on Saturday. Its his last official, with the early signing day coming up November 9th. No one has a clue where he is headed, its somewhere between MSU, Kentucky, IU, and Purdue.

Other big names headed to EL too:

MSU Basketball Recruiting Round-up ("Gary Harris is Coming to Town" Edition) - The Only Colors

I'll have the carrier classic post up after the final MSU exhibition.

Gary Harris visits on Saturday. Its his last official, with the early signing day coming up November 9th. No one has a clue where he is headed, its somewhere between MSU, Kentucky, IU, and Purdue.

Other big names headed to EL too:

MSU Basketball Recruiting Round-up ("Gary Harris is Coming to Town" Edition) - The Only Colors

I'll have the carrier classic post up after the final MSU exhibition.

Man I really want this kid to come play here. If Izzo can get him and keep these other young guys here this could be a scary team in the next few years.

Man I really want this kid to come play here. If Izzo can get him and keep these other young guys here this could be a scary team in the next few years.

It does seem like we're in on five or six top 20 guys over the next two or three recruiting years. Hopefully we'll land a couple of them...Gary Harris, Drake Harris, Jabari Parker, James Young, etc...

For those who don't know, Gary Harris 6'4'' is the #2 SG in the country, 10th overall player in the country, obviously 5 star player, had come down to Purdue, Kentucky, Indiana, and MSU.

Scout.com: Gary Harris Profile

Even better, check out the last two post-Cavaliers flirtation recruiting classes (2011/12):

2011:

Brenden Dawson, 5* SF (#4 SF in the country, #23rd overall)

Brandan Kearney, 3* SG

Travis Trice, 3* PG

2012:

Gary Harris, 5* SG (#2 SG, #10 overall)

Matt Costello, 4* C (top 20 C)

Kenny Kaminski, 4* PF (top 20 PF)

Denzel Valentine, 3* SG

Obviously, the 2012 class is a step above the 2011 class, but this is still "relatively" rare for Izzo. We haven't had a class like the 2012 one since 2007, and we haven't gotten back to back 5* players since 2007/08 (but Roe was the 5*, and obviously he had his knee injury while still in high school). Prior 5* to that was 2003, so Izzo is a poor man's Coach K ha.

We are going to be stacked in a year or two.

Matt Painter loses two 5* players, out of his own backyard, to MSU in two years.

We're gonna get called out on sooooo many recruiting violations....haha

Actually, 3rd straight year with a 5*, counting Adreian Payne. I embarrassingly forgot...#5 Center in the country. Incredible.

Jabari Parker...come on down!!