Sign in to follow this  
MSUBrian11

2011-2012 Michigan State Basketball Thread

Sounds like Drake Harris may be on the cusp of popping to MSU. The early front-runner for the class of 2014's top prospect; the Grand Rapids Christian product also happens to be potential D1 football recruit, but knows that his bread is mostly buttered on the hardwood.

Izzo has been putting in the hard yards on the Gary Harris front too, and by most accounts were right there...Running neck and neck with IU and perhaps PU.

Good news - Byrd out of boot and should be at full speed when practice opens.

Odd(?) news - Delvon Roe knocked up a women's basketball player.

Delvon Roe is about to be a daddy, and that’s much better news than the badly sprained left ankle that is expected to cost him another month. The Spartans' resident star of stage and screen has been on the mend since he stepped on campus. Meantime, since his girlfriend is MSU women’s star Lykendra Johnson, a lot of folks at Breslin Center quietly are interested in how the student-athlete-parents will juggle two different kinds of dribbling.

Russell Byrd is off crutches and out of the protective boot after his third foot surgery, which is quite a collection for someone who has yet to play a college game. He should be full speed before practice begins in October.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2011/07/summers_never_a_vacation_for_m.html

And Roe is gonna be in a movie? Good for him. His playing days are likely done this season... can't imagine him wanting to risk continuing this overseas.

No Access

Will visit msu, indiana, and purdue. How does indiana have a scholarship for him? Either way, this is gonna be a good one. Lets steal another one from purdue.

...and then Purdue will look through every MSU file to see if they can report a Rule 8b.549111*(w)5.778 violation.

Very disappointing to hear. Hope for the young man that he's able to get the help he needs first and foremost. Typically I've got a couple folks that I can't count on to hear this stuff pretty quickly, but I had no idea on this one. Best of luck Dwaun.

Very disappointing to hear. Hope for the young man that he's able to get the help he needs first and foremost. Typically I've got a couple folks that I can't count on to hear this stuff pretty quickly, but I had no idea on this one. Best of luck Dwaun.

Disappointing? No way! You should spend more time in that other forum and you'd know that players leaving the program is actually a good thing. It creates more space for next years recruits

Disappointing? No way! You should spend more time in that other forum and you'd know that players leaving the program is actually a good thing. It creates more space for next years recruits

+1

That said, evidently I won't be spending ANY more time in that forum...:dead:

That's too bad. I can't imagine losing a parent the spring going into college - that's horrible. For his sake, I hope he figures everything out.

My god, rumors on the web that Payne's grandma died today. If I recall correctly, she literally raised him. I feel awful for him...thoughts are with him.

Between Anderson's mom, Payne's grandma, and Dantonio's dad...just a really rough last few months.

This makes more sense if you support a team that's allowed to have a recruiting class this year

MSU Announces 2011-12 Men's Basketball Schedule - MICHIGAN STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

First two games of the season: UNC in San Diego, then Duke at MSG. That should be an exciting week, especially if you have frequent flyer miles. First team to open with UNC and Duke since 1976.

We of course play in Spokane against Gonzaga as well.

Izzo and Delvon Roe having a press conference at 4:30pm EST. MSU has specifically told people "not to speculate" -- does that mean speculations are true?!

Saw him on the football sidelines not long ago, looked allright. Sure hope this isn't a "worst case scenario".

I'm not sure who pissed off the basketball gods approximately 18 months ago, but talk about constant bad luck. From the second Lucas' leg exploded to potentially this afternoon.

Month and a half from the carrier classic, we may need to sacrifice someone off the side of the carl vinson.

Figured I would get this thread started.

How does everyone see the minutes being distributed this season? Here is how I see it breaking down.

PG - Appling (20) Wood (12) Trice (8)

SG - Wood (16) Appling (12) Anderson (8) Thornton (4)

SF - Dawson (25) Byrd (15)

PF - Green (32) Gauna (8)

C - Payne (20) Nix (20)

RS: Kearney

It's hard to place minutes by position, because I'm not exactly sure how the rotations are going to play out. That was my best guess.

Looks like I forgot to include Roe in this analysis when I made the thread months ago. Maybe I could see into the future?

Looks like I forgot to include Roe in this analysis when I made the thread months ago. Maybe I could see into the future?

Way to go jinxy cat! I wonder if he is redshirting... think thats wishful thinking...

Don't take this personally...but you have brought so much bad luck to this forum! First the ND cheerleader, now this?!?

Roe had another setback with his knee last week, is out for the 2011-2012 season. Sounds like his career is over, the whole damn team is at the press conference. And Izzo is referring to Roe in the past tense. Said he's only cried over a player twice.

So sad. Roe was one of the few players last year that played hard, and never gave up, and he played on one and a half legs his entire career. Ever since his first knee injury senior year of high school, just never got it back. So devastating, especially seeing how badly he wanted to make the NBA (I know most guys probably feel that way, but this guy had the talent in high school to make that jump). This guy would have been one of the best ever at MSU. Still leaves with 2 Big Ten Championship rings, and two final fours. He will be missed on the court, but you have to save those knees.

What a bummer - Roe will go down as one of my all-time favorite MSU basketball players. Classy kid who worked his *** off and represented us well. I wish him the best, but...damn, this is sad.

...oh...and we might get more Nix than we would ever want this year. Uh oh.

What a bummer - Roe will go down as one of my all-time favorite MSU basketball players. Classy kid who worked his *** off and represented us well. I wish him the best, but...damn, this is sad.

...oh...and we might get more Nix than we would ever want this year. Uh oh.

Funny, or strangely, when I came here to make the post, you were the one I thought of. You always seemed like the biggest Roe supporter around here, not that he didn't obviously deserve it. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I feel like it is out of selfishness for Roe: I wish he could have shown MSU fans how he played in high school. He gets a lot of well deserved props for bringing guts and glory, but sometimes thats almost a backhanded compliment. The kid was fabulously talented.

And typical offseason rumors: Nix supposedly looks slim and trim. We'll see.

We do have Payne and Guana too, maybe Dawson at the 4? Maybe Sherman left too soon...

Don't forget losing Dwaun Anderson, and I don't think Russell Byrd is in full contact drills yet.

The curse of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Funny, or strangely, when I came here to make the post, you were the one I thought of. You always seemed like the biggest Roe supporter around here, not that he didn't obviously deserve it. Maybe I'm being selfish, but I feel like it is out of selfishness for Roe: I wish he could have shown MSU fans how he played in high school. He gets a lot of well deserved props for bringing guts and glory, but sometimes thats almost a backhanded compliment. The kid was fabulously talented.

It just seemed like with all the crap that has surronded the program the last year or two, he was a constant that worked his butt off and you never heard one negative peep about him. I occasionally got frustrated as did everybody else with him, but I respected the hell out of him. He played through so much pain and gave it all he had - he didn't have some character issues (that may too strongly worded, but I think you get the point) that have plagued some players in the program the last few years.

I'm just sad for him - he had legit NBA talent coming out of high school and he obviously will never be able to fulfill it. It wasn't through lack of heart and toughness though - that's for sure.

Nonetheless, he is now a father (or soon to be?) with a budding acting career...so his future is bright.

Edited by monkeynuts