Sign in to follow this  
MSUBrian11

2011-2012 Michigan State Basketball Thread

Figured I would get this thread started.

How does everyone see the minutes being distributed this season? Here is how I see it breaking down.

PG - Appling (20) Wood (12) Trice (8)

SG - Wood (16) Appling (12) Anderson (8) Thornton (4)

SF - Dawson (25) Byrd (15)

PF - Green (32) Gauna (8)

C - Payne (20) Nix (20)

RS: Kearney

It's hard to place minutes by position, because I'm not exactly sure how the rotations are going to play out. That was my best guess.

Figured I would get this thread started.

How does everyone see the minutes being distributed this season? Here is how I see it breaking down.

PG - Appling (20) Wood (12) Trice (8)

SG - Wood (16) Appling (12) Anderson (8) Thornton (4)

SF - Dawson (25) Byrd (15)

PF - Green (32) Gauna (8)

C - Payne (20) Nix (20)

RS: Kearney

It's hard to place minutes by position, because I'm not exactly sure how the rotations are going to play out. That was my best guess.

It's possible you're right, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Anderson red-shirt in place of Kearney. First one to illustrate the ability to play defense and board plays in 2011.

It's possible you're right, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Anderson red-shirt in place of Kearney. First one to illustrate the ability to play defense and board plays in 2011.

We'll see. I agree that their defensive abilities will factor into who redshirts. From what I saw of Kearney in the state championship game he looked like he could use some more time to really develop his game (and physically develop) before he starts playing a lot.

FSU coming to Breslin for the big ten / acc challenge. Duke and UNC are already on the schedule as well.

Edited by SpartanValor

And Johnny Mac begins his quest for MSU tickets.

Shouldnt be hard, have a sister there now and a ton of recent graduate friends. Going to try to make it for that game, should be fun to see FSU play in person again.

I doubt Byrd will be ready for the start of the season. 4 months puts him at start of October for practicing. We will see though.

I think Trice and Wood splits most of the PG minutes. Appling should play mostly at the 2, and Wood will be his primary backup there. Dawson/Green/Payne are the obvious chooses at the 3/4/5.

Offensively, this team looks like a bit of a mess. No true PG unless Trice can step in right away. Green is the only proven scorer, at least at the Big Ten level. There's some potential there with Wood, Appling and Payne, but that remains to be seen. OTOH, I really like this team's potential defensively. I think Appling will be one of the better parameter defenders in the Big ten, Dawson comes in with a great reputation as a rebounder and defender, and Payne has the potential to be a great shot blocker. It will be very interesting how this team pans out.

MSU had one of their open gyms earlier this week...A whole pile of players, past and present, along with a few high-end recruits I might add, got together for some good run. Apparently Steve Smith is still the man.

From leveon bell:

"I cant wait to see @rbyrd0 shoot in the games...117/120? Crazy right? From the 3 tho! lol"

Wait...what? I thought he was out four months due to foot surgery?

Its been about six weeks since surgery...probably just got out of the cast. Maybe he can shoot, just not run an practice yet? Who knows