Sign in to follow this  
DontGotSheed

5-11 MTS MiLB Hot Sheet

5-11 MTS MiLB Hot Sheet

Just a reminder for those who didn’t see my note in the Hot Sheet two weeks ago…this Hot Sheet is over a two week period. And to be honest, I was surprised to see some of the performances I did. There are some VERY good performances by batters in this Hot Sheet. It is hard to put together 6-7 solid games and this week we see some guys that put up 10-12 great performances.

It was tough on pitchers though. I saw a good number of performances that would’ve made the Hot Sheet if it was only for one week, but since they had two or three starts it hurt them. This will probably be the last time I do a two week Hot Sheet. To be honest, I thought I was cheating some pitchers.

SIDE NOTE:

> As I am sure it was covered this past week, but I figure I’ll throw it on here as well. CONGRATS TO NICK CASTELLANOS ON HIS FIRST CAREER PROFESSIONAL HR! Nick was also very close to making his first ever Hot Sheet.

ENJOY!

Pitchers

Andy Oliver – Toldeo Mud Hens

641637.jpg

1-1, 14.0 IP, 12 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 13 K

A pair of Mud Hens top the Hot Sheet for pitchers these two week. A very, very good pair of performances by Andy gives him the top spot in the ‘Marathon Hot Sheet’. Oliver has jumped out to good first month of action. His start should be keeping him in mind for the Tigers front office.

Duane Below – Toledo Mud Hens

g12c000000000000000a79a0e518a59b56326759aef59fa72ed86eeae22.jpg

2-0, 21.0 IP, 14 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 21 K

Don’t be shocked if you see Duane in Detroit some time in 2011.The lefty has shown much better command in 2011, which was one of his bigger knocks in years previous. Which is great news since he has a solid fastball and curve. It seems I say this in every Hot Sheet, but I love seeing local players doing well.

Ramon Lebron – West Michigan Whitecaps

5575592277_a0f404d9dc.jpg

1-0, 2 HLD, 7.1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 5 BB, 12 K

After a down year as a starter in 2010, Ramon has blown up in the West Michigan bullpen. In his 14.2 innings this year Ramon has dazzled with 22 K’s. It is looking like the move to the pen is helping him.

Lester Oliveros – Toledo Mud Hens/Erie Seawolves

5480029949_f3d612edf8.jpg

0-0, 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 8 K

0.73….that is Lester Oliveros’ WHIP to start the year in 2011. In January TigsTown.com listed Oliveros as the #9 prospect in the Tigers system. He is certainly showing it and might even be throwing his name in bag of possible relievers to come to Detroit in 2011. Keep your eye on this kid.

Jared Wesson – Lakeland FlyingTigers

jared-wesson-06jpg-c719cd1e9fd4d516_large.jpg

2-0, 15.0 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 8 BB, 8 K

Jared Who? Wesson, that’s who. Last year Jared spent a decent amount of time in EST, but still managed to start 19 games in West Michigan. If you kept up with the Hot Sheet last year, you saw his name quite a bit. After a slow start, I hope this is a sign of things to come for Jared.

Kenny Faulk – Lakeland Flying Tigers

0-0, 2 SV, 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K

One more good inning from Kenny would have gotten him in the top 5 this week. I really struggled choosing a spot for him. With that being said, the southpaw closer has started off hot this year. He is really shoring up the back end of a solid Lakeland BP.

Kyle Ryan – West Michigan Whitecaps

1-2, 18.1 IP, 20 H, 5 ER, 5 BB, 13 K

One “less-than-desirable” outing dropped Kyle out of the top 5 this week. After a slow start to the season in West Michigan, Kyle has picked it up as of late. He was another guy that put together some solid performances and was a regular in 2010 Hot Sheets. He is already in his second Hot sheet of 2011.

Matt Hoffman – Toledo Mud Hens

0-0, 1 HLD, 5.1 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

A solid AFL put Matt Hoffman on the map. The lefty for some power out of nowhere in 2010. With his new found electric fastball, Hoffman is giving the Tigers front office options with the future of Detroit’s BP. He is another player you have to keep his eye on this year.

Jacob Turner – Erie Seawolves

1-1, 18.2 IP, 19 H, 7 ER, 7 BB, 12 K

Like Jared Wesson, Jacob Turner had one bad outing and it dropped him down to the bottom half of the Hot Sheet. I am pretty sure he is going to be alright though.

There was also a nice article about Turner’s first Double-A win on the milb.com site here.

Casey Crosby – Erie Seawolves

1-0, 12.0 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 4 BB, 11 K

Any week that Crosby stays off the DL is a good week. So in other words, Crosby put together 2 very good weeks. He is racking up the K’s as well. In his 23.2 IP, he has 24 Ks. Noe he just has to work on getting that BB rate down.

HONORABLE MENTION

Jordan Pratt – Lakeland Flying Tigers

1 HLD, 6.0 IP, 0 H, 0 BB, 3 K

Chance Ruffin – Erie Seawolves

0-1, 2 SV, 5.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K

Jeff Ferrell – West Michigan Whitecaps

1-0, 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

Batters

Rob Brantly – West Michigan Whitecaps

4907704576_e92a8d69c5.jpg

17-45, .378 AVG, 8 R, 4 2B, 1 HR, 10 RBI, 2:6 BB:K

Rob Brantly is near the top of the catching prospects in the organization. After a slow start to his career last summer, he has caught fire in 2011. He currently is the best hitter in West Michigan and is coming through for the Whitecaps every chance he gets. Julio Rodriguez is also having a very good year in Lakeland…or else I’d say be ready for him in Lakeland soon.

Luis Castillo – West Michigan Whitecaps

5635424573_b8ac8bdd02.jpg

21-54, .389 AVG, 3 R, 1 2B, 2 RBI, 2 SB, 3:11 BB:K

Despite a high strike out total, Luis totaled the most hits this week. The rest of his numbers were pretty pedestrian, but I had to give him the #2 spot for 21 hits in 2 weeks.

Andy Dirks – Toledo Mud Hens

9414931-large.jpg

20-55, .364 AVG, 8 R, 3 2B, 1 HR, 7 RBI, 3 SB, 2:3 BB:K

Andy Dirks is raking in Toledo. Maybe Jim Leyland wasn’t so crazy letting him stay with the Big League club so long in Spring Training. Dirks’ 14 runs produced this week was near the top for Tigers MiLBers these past two weeks.

Timo Perez – Toledo Mud Hens

timo-perez.jpg

15-41, .366 AVG, 5 R, 3 2B, 2 HR, 11 RBI, 1 SB, 2:3 BB:K

The Man, The Myth, The Legend…..Timo Perez. BI-WINNER!

Justin Henry – Erie Seawolves

1561054637_b175cfc0c7.jpg

14-14, .341 AVG, 9 R, 4 2B, 7 RBI, 2 SB, 5:3 BB:K

Look at Justin Henry checking into the Top Five and getting a picture. Three of the 4 MiLB Teams playing right now are well represented in the Top Five this week.

Jamie Johnson – Erie Seawolves

16-47, .340 AVG, 8 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 SB, 9:4 BB:K

When I was going through box scores for last week, I thought Jamie was going to get the #1 spot. But then the 5 guys in front of him blew up. Even though he drops to 6th, this was a very good week for Jamie. I love seeing the 9 BBs. Last year Jamie led the entire system in OBP, and it looks like he is a good candidate to do the same in 2011.

Argenis Diaz – Toledo Mud Hens

13-33, .394 AVG, 7 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 3 RBI, 7:5 BB:K

Argenis was a victim of low AB total. I struggled putting him so low, but when guys get more ABs and produce the same (or close to), I gotta give them the go. But still, a great performance by Diaz these past two weeks.

Julio Rodriguez – Lakeland Flying Tigers

14-33, .424 AVG, 3 R, 1 2B, 3 RBI, 2:2 BB:K

If there is a better hitting catcher in the Tigers organization than Rob Brantly, it is Julio Rodriguez. I know Mark likes Rodriguez and thinks he has a decent ceiling. It is a close call between him and Brantly.

Francisco Martinez – Erie Seawolves

13-41, .317 AVG, 13 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 7 HR, 1 SB, 4:12 BB:K

St. Francisco sighting! Finally Francisco Martinez gets hot. After starting this two week period under the Mendoza Line, Martinez has built his season AVG to .237. He also managed to score 13 runs for the Seawolves this week. Gotta love it.

Ben Guez – Erie Seawolves

16-52, .308 AVG, 8 R, 1 2B, 5 3B, 2 HR, 13 RBI. 5:5 BB:K

Ben Guez had a huge 2 weeks. 19 runs produced and a stellar 5 triples! Ben now has more triples than doubles this season. The big week earned him a shot in Toledo where he could get some serious playing time with Clete Thomas playing horrible, Scott Thorman being Scott Thorman, and Clay Timpner on the DL.

HONORABLE MENTION

Wade Gaynor – Lakeland Flying Tigers

17-53, .321, 7 R, 5 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 7:13 BB:K

Hernan Perez – West Michigan Whitecaps

17-55, .309 AVG, 10 R, 6 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 3 SB, 3:12 BB:K

Audy Ciriaco – Erie Seawolves

14-44, .318 AVG, 6 R, 3 2B, 4 RBI, 2:7 BB:K

Michael Rockett – Lakeland Flying Tigers

10-25, .400, 6 R, 4 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 2:2 BB:K

Bryan Holaday –Erie Seawolves

11-36, .306 AVG, 3 R, 4 2B, 1 HR, 8 RBI, 1:8 BB:K

Bryan Pounds – Erie Seawolves

11-28, .393 AVG, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 3:10 BB:K

HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYED THIS WEEK’S HOT SHEET!!!!!

Great as always!

...and an appearance by my AAT to boot!

I like Hoffman...having some control issues, but the kid is electric.

And thanks! :classic:

I just read (I think on TigsTown) that Timpner got released for refusing an assignment to Erie.

The Clay Timpner Era comes to an end in Detroit. Sad day.

Dirks needs to replace Raburn.
Either Raburn or Kelly. Couldn't hurt to give Raburn some time at AAA to re-think his hitting approach, though. I'm not happy with him.

Dirks needs to replace Raburn.

Is Raburn just a second half hitter?

He always seems to hit well later in the year.

Either he's a second half hitter, or he finally comes to his senses and doesn't try to pull as much? Just a thought.

His power is usually dormat until the second half as well.

Raburn needs to be used almost exclusively against lefties. That isn't ideal for a corner OF though, so I'm not sure what his real role is long term. I just don't see him hitting righties consistently enough in the long run to stick as a corner guy.

Anybody heard what is going on with my AAT Clay Jones? I can't seem to find any news on him. He must be injured? Thanks in advance for any information from folks in the know.

Anybody heard what is going on with my AAT Clay Jones? I can't seem to find any news on him. He must be injured? Thanks in advance for any information from folks in the know.

I was wondering about him the other day. He is on the Whitecaps roster and on the DL. I don't think he has played a game yet this year.

It shows that he's on the DL on milb.com. With what, I couldn't tell you.

Either Raburn or Kelly. Couldn't hurt to give Raburn some time at AAA to re-think his hitting approach, though. I'm not happy with him.

I'm not 100% certain, but pretty confident that Raburn is out of opitons.

Besides, it seems to me that he's the ideal compliment to Boesch & Dirks.

I'm not 100% certain, but pretty confident that Raburn is out of opitons.

Besides, it seems to me that he's the ideal compliment to Boesch & Dirks.

I could have sworn he had one left, but I'm guessing big time.