DetroitCity313

Outrage Flares As Michelle Obama Invites Common To White House To Read Poetry

I went to EMU with that dude, knew him somewhat well, better than an acquaintance. I'd venture that he deserved it.

Since Common was on Sesame Street, does this mean they are pro cop-killing?

You haven't watched Sesame Street in awhile have you? The neighborhood went to hell. Elmo carries a nine on him at all times.

You haven't watched Sesame Street in awhile have you? The neighborhood went to hell. Elmo carries a nine on him at all times.

And nothing screams an out of control gangster rap artist like a guy who is in Gap ad's.

And nothing screams an out of control gangster rap artist like a guy who is in Gap ad's.

Damn straight...I think of the Gap, I think of Cop Killa's doin' their Cop Killin' in Stylez.

The original black panthers have nothing to do with these guys. completely new org. with a new mission and goal. they don't associate with each other and linking the 2 together is irresponsible ROMAD.

that linkage was designed to show that institutional racism does not exist because those guys got a free pass on whatever it was they were doing from Eric Holder's Justice Department.

that linkage was designed to show that institutional racism does not exist because those guys got a free pass on whatever it was they were doing from Eric Holder's Justice Department.

Your cause/effect relationship is nothing of the sort.

Your cause/effect relationship is nothing of the sort.

We know that the Justice Department is free of racism because there is no such thing as voter intimidation by the guys shown in the video. Eric Holder says so.

[edit: to explain... my loathing of Holder is of a piece with my anger toward Mike Vick...Holder's saccharine investigation of Vick led to his reinstatement. Holder's nomination to be AG was fought by ex--NFL players who felt him to be a mouthpiece. My real anger toward Holder stems from his efforts to try KSM as an adult]

Edited by ROMAD1

Sure it's incorrect. My point is that it's not unreasonable for them to think it. .

Grant that point, but it is unreasonable, or at least IMHO unconscionable, for people with public podiums to make it a practice to speak out in that kind of 'reasonable' but uninformed ignorance.

Grant that point, but it is unreasonable, or at least IMHO unconscionable, for people with public podiums to make it a practice to speak out in that kind of 'reasonable' but uninformed ignorance.

but sub_rosa wasn't talking about people with public podiums. He simply said "some people". That's who I was referring to. At other points in this discussion I said that those with public podiums on this issue were just stirring up trouble. My point about misconceptions refers to the man on the street or even listeners to these shows.

but sub_rosa wasn't talking about people with public podiums. He simply said "some people". That's who I was referring to. At other points in this discussion I said that those with public podiums on this issue were just stirring up trouble. My point about misconceptions refers to the man on the street or even listeners to these shows.

And that's fair. Thing about message boards is that it always tends to be a little ambiguous how specifically you are responding to a specific post(er) vs the thread in general but along the rough lines of a given post.

We know that the Justice Department is free of racism because there is no such thing as voter intimidation by the guys shown in the video. Eric Holder says so.

[edit: to explain... my loathing of Holder is of a piece with my anger toward Mike Vick...Holder's saccharine investigation of Vick led to his reinstatement. Holder's nomination to be AG was fought by ex--NFL players who felt him to be a mouthpiece. My real anger toward Holder stems from his efforts to try KSM as an adult]

your argument, at best, suggests there is no racism in DOJ, and that's a tenuous argument. IT doesn't at all address institutional racism, as you suggested.

your argument, at best, suggests there is no racism in DOJ, and that's a tenuous argument. IT doesn't at all address institutional racism, as you suggested.

And the University of Michigan's admission policies are certainly subject to scrutiny by non-white students who don't happen to be in a politically-favored minority.

My point is that you seemed puzzled as to why someone would associate those things with rap music and played amateur psychologist "sub conscious double standards that need to be acknowledge". (whatever that is supposed to mean). To someone who does not follow that type of music and sees headlines describing the things in the linked wikipedia article, then it's not really that deep of a connection to make.

Less an issue of seeing a headline in the USA Today about a crime involving a rapper, more a matter of watching the O'Reilly Factor or other similar conservative programming and having one's own (soft) racial prejudices reaffirmed. IMO.

I just found out who Common was. I thought the OP was saying that Michele Obama invited common people to watch poetry at the White House. I thought big deal common people can view royalty as well.

LOL at the fact that 90% of white Americans have no idea who Common is.