DetroitCity313

Outrage Flares As Michelle Obama Invites Common To White House To Read Poetry

I suspect that Romad was alluding to his evident admiration for a particular convicted cop killer:

NJ Cops "Outraged" Over WH Rapper Invite | NBC New York

It goes much, much deeper than that. Common is from Chicago, home of many black Panthers who provided hope, love and protection for many black families. When the BPP was intentionally dismantled by COINTELPRO and J Edgar Hoover through violent and manipulating means many began to doubt the allegations made against Panthers (rightly so, as even the US government acknowledged their all-out war on the BPP where they arrested innocent people, imprisoned them and knowingly broke the law to break the party). Also Shakur's treatment in prison caught the attention of human rights activists who recognized the inhumane treatment she received.

Common doesn't support killing cops. That is silly. The guy promotes peace more than our government.

Glad you admit it, because a deeper understanding of rap would show you how Common spoke out against this "beef" and gangster rap in some of his most popular songs, in addition to making a lot of songs calling for less violence in rap and the black community. But hey, wikipedia says rappers kill each other so lets just go with that...

I've said nothing about Common.... I know nothing about him and made no judgements about his appearance at the White House. I was addressing a specific point by sub_rosa where he attacked people people who don't share his opinion. Take your made up crap and go somewhere else to whine.

I've said nothing about Common.... I know nothing about him and made no judgements about his appearance at the White House. I was addressing a specific point by sub_rosa where he attacked people people who don't share his opinion. Take your made up crap and go somewhere else to whine.

this is why you're such a great moderator. hooray!

p.s. i didn't attack anyone, for the record. but make it up however you want. type it up on wikipedia and link it. i'm sure plenty of people would believe it.

this is why you're such a great moderator. hooray!

p.s. i didn't attack anyone, for the record. but make it up however you want. type it up on wikipedia and link it. i'm sure plenty of people would believe it.

lol +1

Good to know. I assume this mindset can be applied to all situations? Because I, for one, would like to be an ignorant person with strong opinions.

This itself is ignorant.

If someone's going to have strong opinions then yes, they should inform themselves. I'm talking about casual perceptions.

This is like a woman dressing like a prostitute, then bitching that someone might think she is a prositute when she's not actually one. Well... don't give off that impression then.

This itself is ignorant.

If someone's going to have strong opinions then yes, they should inform themselves. I'm talking about casual perceptions.

This is like a woman dressing like a prostitute, then bitching that someone might think she is a prositute when she's not actually one. Well... don't give off that impression then.

Except its not like that. This would better fit your mindset:

"This is like a woman going out then bitching that someone might think she is a prositute when she's not actually one. Well... don't be a woman."

Common hasn't done anything to give off the impression he is somehow a gangster rapper or supports this stuff. Simply being a rapper is enough for some to question him. Just as it is enough for some to question ANY rapper.

Except its not like that. This would better fit your mindset:

"This is like a woman going out then bitching that someone might think she is a prositute when she's not actually one. Well... don't be a woman."

Common hasn't done anything to give off the impression he is somehow a gangster rapper or supports this stuff. Simply being a rapper is enough for some to question him. Just as it is enough for some to question ANY rapper.

Well yes, if the discussion itself is about Common then you may be right, I don't now.

However I didn't take sub_rosa's point about Common in particular, it was about "rap artists" in general, and seeing what happened in the mid 90's on the wiki stuff I liked to, I don't blame non rap followers for having that perception. Those were high profile real life cases involving prominent moguls in the industry.

Well yes, if the discussion itself is about Common then you may be right, I don't now.

However I didn't take sub_rosa's point about Common in particular, it was about "rap artists" in general, and seeing what happened in the mid 90's on the wiki stuff I liked to, I don't blame non rap followers for having that perception. Those were high profile real life cases involving prominent moguls in the industry.

Would you blame people overs-seas and in America for calling the military "killers" and "terrorists" because there have been high profile incidents of people in the armed services killing innocent civilians?

If you want to stay here then I suggest you stop with this nonsense. That's all I will say about it here.

well, i certainly know a threat when i read one. so i promise to "stop with this nonsense" immediately, sir.

My point is that you seemed puzzled as to why someone would associate those things with rap music and played amateur psychologist "sub conscious double standards that need to be acknowledge". (whatever that is supposed to mean). To someone who does not follow that type of music and sees headlines describing the things in the linked wikipedia article, then it's not really that deep of a connection to make. There's nothing "subconscious" about it. There's no burden required by people who do not follow that music to strip away any misconceptions they might have when those misconceptions are prominently promoted. If they do not want to be called a duck then don't walk and talk like one.

The same would go for the heavy metal hard rock crew from the 70's and 80's and the image they portrayed.

but an incorrect connection to make.

Why would someone look up a feud over a decade old instead of looking up common himself?

This itself is ignorant.

So as long as I keep my voice down (and respect moderators, apparently) I can be as dumb as I want and call any woman who I think is dressing in a certain manner a prostitute?

It seems to me that Oblong's argument is implicitly admitting that those who are criticizing Common have no idea what they're talking about. I can go with that.

a lot of horrible things happen to people in william faulkner's novels, but get this - he was invited to the white house by dwight eisenhower in 1956! i'm sure all the people who weren't familiar with faulkner's work were outraged.

i was just sitting here thinking, of all the crap that goes on in washington, d.c., and this is what's being hotly debated!? i feel dirty!

1/3 of women in the Army are sexually harassed. I now associate sexual assault with all people in the army.

100% of men are sexually harassed in the US military

It seems to me that Oblong's argument is implicitly admitting that those who are criticizing Common have no idea what they're talking about. I can go with that.

All this ancillary target shooting by Obama's detractors only serves to skew their aim away from the bull's-eye, IMO. Hope I can use that metaphor with impunity.

I don't know this Common person from Uncommon, but the gah-dam president can invite whomever he wants to the White House and the rest of us can stop traffic in protest.

Show me an entertainer without some blemishes, and I'll show you a pristine politician. In other words, apparently, no one is worthy to grace those halls and rooms, if this Common man can't.

Hell, Paul McCartney played a gig there and there are some who believe that the real Paul died in 1966. I wonder what the vetting process was for Sir Paul and what was discovered.

COINTELPRO was a real thing. The Black Panther Party was a real thing. The riots of 1943 and 1967 were a real thing too.

Therefore institutional racism is a current problem in this country.

neGbKHyGuHU

The original black panthers have nothing to do with these guys. completely new org. with a new mission and goal. they don't associate with each other and linking the 2 together is irresponsible ROMAD.

but an incorrect connection to make.

Why would someone look up a feud over a decade old instead of looking up common himself?

Sure it's incorrect. My point is that it's not unreasonable for them to think it. Just like it's not unreasonable for out of touch Muslims in the middle east, or North Koreans, or people Chinese, with limited or no access to media to think of the US in deragatory ways. I'm not justifying the belief, merely understanding why it's there.

Yes, those criticizing this guy may not have any idea what he's all about. I never said otherwise. They are just stirring up trouble and feeding off those misconceptions that people have.

Sure it's incorrect. My point is that it's not unreasonable for them to think it. Just like it's not unreasonable for out of touch Muslims in the middle east, or North Koreans, or people Chinese, with limited or no access to media to think of the US in deragatory ways. I'm not justifying the belief, merely understanding why it's there.

Yes, those criticizing this guy may not have any idea what he's all about. I never said otherwise. They are just stirring up trouble and feeding off those misconceptions that people have.

In that case I think we're actually on the same page.

A few weeks back there was a humorous youtube being passed around about that very subject. Starts out with a couple of young Asian men discussing the stereotype that all Asians know kung fu. Have you seen it?