DetroitCity313

Outrage Flares As Michelle Obama Invites Common To White House To Read Poetry

What about this is classless and without dignity?

i'm waiting to hear this answer as well.

Just such a non-story compared to what is important, but we foment the coverage of it. I propose a national media-strike of one week. No one watch or read nothin. No internet, TV, radio ... show these bastiges who's payin' their salaries!

LOL @ policies about cop killing. You must have some caricature of every rap artist in your head. Its humorous.

Is "Common" going to get a job in the cabinet now? Is there a job open. I thought Panetta was going to be SecDef...and MosDef was going to be CIA Director.

i think a lot of people here do.

i wonder if we'd see as much misdirected outrage if obama had invited sigourney weaver or arnold schwarzenegger to read to children. in their "art" they have portrayed violence and sadism and used "bad language." yet as actors, they seem to get a pass for being involved in producing this type of imagery.

however, for some reason, some people associate rap artists as living and embodying everything about which they write or perform. i think it's a sub-conscious double-standard that needs to be acknowledged.

did you complain about Kid Rock getting the NAACP award? He apparently supports slavery and the Confederacy with his usurpation of Lynrd Skynrd music.

did you complain about Kid Rock getting the NAACP award? He apparently supports slavery and the Confederacy with his usurpation of Lynrd Skynrd music.

i did not complain about it. since i grew up in the south listening to lynyrd skynyrd as a teenager, i knew that their music had nothing to do with supporting slavery or the confederacy. in fact, their music was just the opposite.

i don't base my judgment of artists on stereotypes - whether they are kid rock, lynyrd skynrd, or common.

gee... I wonder why they'd think that

is wikipedia the extent of your knowledge of rap music?

sub, it was actually his use of the Dixie flag that people didn't like....

I remember the infamous war between Seger and Springstein camps. Lots of bloodshed between those groups.

sub, it was actually his use of the Dixie flag that people didn't like....

cam you blame them? what's he suggesting when he uses it? his music and lyrics certainly don't reflect the "old south" way of thinking of race and society.

Is "Common" going to get a job in the cabinet now? Is there a job open. I thought Panetta was going to be SecDef...and MosDef was going to be CIA Director.

I lol'd

nice work

I remember the infamous war between Seger and Springstein camps. Lots of bloodshed between those groups.

are you suggesting that rock n roll musicians don't have a long history of drug use, violence, anti-social behavior, etc.?!?! where do i start?

fyi: Common shot Biggie and Tupac. He thought they were cops.

I'm still wondering if we have any insight on Nugent's policies on presidential assassination.

are you suggesting that rock n roll musicians don't have a long history of drug use, violence, anti-social behavior, etc.?!?! where do i start?

start with: name a rock and roll guy who got shot. I'll grant you that not all Rock is hippies and mellow fellows.

Punk rock as it existed in the days of the 70s and not this "skate punk" nonsense propagated by a bunch of California poseurs was fairly violent. I do recall that some friends from Livonia had their show cut short when they toured Eastern Washington state because all the skins in the crowd had beaten the bouncers up at the venue.

start with: name a rock and roll guy who got shot.

dimebag

a.jpg

his guitar has a confederate flag on it. must say something about rock n rollers and southerners all at once.

Yep. Pretty much. Did those items listed on wikipedia, shootings, murder, near fights in parking lots at music shows, brandishing of guns.... did those not happen?

Looks to me like at one period of time the high profile rappers were very much looking to both live and express the lifestyle they portrayed in their songs. Whether they really lived it or not, they sure looked to give the impression they did.

Dean Martin's family said he wasn't a drunk, that he had apple juice in his glass while on TV. That doesn't mean people are wrong to call him a drunk if that's what he wanted them to think and image he wanted to portray.

Yep. Pretty much. Did those items listed on wikipedia, shootings, murder, near fights in parking lots at music shows, brandishing of guns.... did those not happen?

they probably did. but what's your point? i could list a lot of misdeeds by rock n roll musicians, country musicians, jazz musicians, etc. so what? should no musicians be invited to the white house because you can always go find some in their genre that have behaved badly?

dimebag

a.jpg

his guitar has a confederate flag on it. must say something about rock n rollers and southerners all at once.

I recall that now...sort of a random act of violence? Just from his wikipedia page Dimebag's assailant Nathan Gale was suffering from mental illness.

they probably did. but what's your point? i could list a lot of misdeeds by rock n roll musicians, country musicians, jazz musicians, etc. so what? should no musicians be invited to the white house because you can always go find some in their genre that have behaved badly?

My point is that you seemed puzzled as to why someone would associate those things with rap music and played amateur psychologist "sub conscious double standards that need to be acknowledge". (whatever that is supposed to mean). To someone who does not follow that type of music and sees headlines describing the things in the linked wikipedia article, then it's not really that deep of a connection to make. There's nothing "subconscious" about it. There's no burden required by people who do not follow that music to strip away any misconceptions they might have when those misconceptions are prominently promoted. If they do not want to be called a duck then don't walk and talk like one.

The same would go for the heavy metal hard rock crew from the 70's and 80's and the image they portrayed.

There's no burden required by people who do not follow that music to strip away any misconceptions they might have when those misconceptions are prominently promoted.

Good to know. I assume this mindset can be applied to all situations? Because I, for one, would like to be an ignorant person with strong opinions.

Looks to me like at one period of time the high profile rappers were very much looking to both live and express the lifestyle they portrayed in their songs. Whether they really lived it or not, they sure looked to give the impression they did.

Dean Martin's family said he wasn't a drunk, that he had apple juice in his glass while on TV. That doesn't mean people are wrong to call him a drunk if that's what he wanted them to think and image he wanted to portray.

Glad you admit it, because a deeper understanding of rap would show you how Common spoke out against this "beef" and gangster rap in some of his most popular songs, in addition to making a lot of songs calling for less violence in rap and the black community. But hey, wikipedia says rappers kill each other so lets just go with that...