DetroitCity313

Outrage Flares As Michelle Obama Invites Common To White House To Read Poetry

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rage at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Well, that's just like, your opinion man.

the rug really tied the room together

george h. w. bush invited eazy-e to the white house! his music makes common sound like mary poppins.

EazyE.gif

and i agree with dc313 - neither rap nor poetry have anything to do with elocution. they're both art forms. just like painting has nothing to do with geometry or straight lines.

nice shoutout to Detroit's Plastikman

Strange that this would come up. I was recently schooling a young fist pumper about the old Hamtramck scene and tangentially brought up Plastikman's CD insert blotter ...

3909051503_fec46f15cc.jpg

His racial views seem kinda silly. I doubt they would stand up to scrutiny.

Also, what are his policies on cop killing?

The whole thing is funny to me because it represents Obama losing hold of the "law and order" narrative he had going from the UBL takedown. Self-inflicted wounds are always the worst.

The whole thing is funny to me because it represents Obama losing hold of the "law and order" narrative he had going from the UBL takedown. Self-inflicted wounds are always the worst.

it seems to me that the only ones that give a rats about this are those that already hate the president anyway. I'm thinking this is a has a net-zero effect on anything and everything.

Once again the White House decides to do something classless instead of opting for something with dignity and grace. Why should we expect anything more? We should all be used to this by now. Either this President and his staff are completely ignorant or intentionally try to disgrace this country. I opt for intentionally.

Once again the White House decides to do something classless instead of opting for something with dignity and grace. Why should we expect anything more? We should all be used to this by now. Either this President and his staff are completely ignorant or intentionally try to disgrace this country. I opt for intentionally.

What about this is classless and without dignity?

LOL @ policies about cop killing. You must have some caricature of every rap artist in your head. Its humorous.

LOL @ policies about cop killing. You must have some caricature of every rap artist in your head. Its humorous.

I suspect that Romad was alluding to his evident admiration for a particular convicted cop killer:

NJ Cops "Outraged" Over WH Rapper Invite | NBC New York

For New Jersey police, the outrage centers on "A Song for Assata" lyrics like "Your power and pride is beautiful. May God bless your soul."

Shakur, formerly known as Joanne Chesimard, was convicted for the 1973 slaying of Trooper Werner Foerster on the New Jersey Turnpike. She escaped prison in 1979, and is living in asylum in Cuba.

Watch the second video in the link below (Jon Stewart last night). I hope you were completely offended about GWB honoring Johnny Cash. He had lyrics that were very inappropriate.

Jon Stewart Slams Fox News, Sean Hannity For Hypocritical 'Common' Outrage (VIDEO)

Also a hilarious Sean Hannity moment is in the video - talk about being a hypocrite.

Edited by monkeynuts

it seems to me that the only ones that give a rats about this are those that already hate the president anyway. I'm thinking this is a has a net-zero effect on anything and everything.

This is 100% true. I haven't heard a peep from anybody about this issue other than those that will be angry at the President no matter what he does in any situation. He could save a baby from a well, yet they'd complain the baby got a little mud on their pants.

This is 100% true. I haven't heard a peep from anybody about this issue other than those that will be angry at the President no matter what he does in any situation. He could save a baby from a well, yet they'd complain the baby got a little mud on their pants.

Or that he used "I" too often talking about it afterwards. Or that he hesitated at the top and someone else pushed him in.

Also a hilarious Sean Hannity moment is in the video - talk about being a hypocrite.

Last night Big Eddie said something about Hannity supporting Ted Nugent, who said Obama should "suck on his machine gun".

Which leads to an obvious question: What are Hannity and Nugent's policies on presidential assasination?

I know I'm totally biased, but this kind of stuff really makes the GOP seem extremely petty and bush league to me. But I thought they were anyways, so this is just thematic.

Like this is even remotely important.

I suspect he thinks all cops should be killed, and their funerals should be protested by Reverend Phelps.

Poetry is done best when it is Jesse Jackson reading Dr. Suess.

I do not like eggs in tha fi-el.

I do not like them in aney sti-el.

I will not take them fried or boy-ald.

I will not take them poached or uh, broy-ald.

I will not take them soft or scram-beeld,

Despite an argument that's, uh, well-rambled.

No fan I am of uh, that there egg is at hand.

Destroy that egg! Ta-day! Ta-day!

Ta-day I say!

Without no, uh, de-lay!

I know I'm totally biased, but this kind of stuff really makes the GOP seem extremely petty and bush league to me. But I thought they were anyways, so this is just thematic.

Like this is even remotely important.

I don't think anyone outside bloggers and poli-tainers are paying much attention. I wouldn't know anything about it or this rapper if the Huffington Post article hadn't been posted here.

We have more important news leading off our broadcasts and on the front pages in D/FW: In N Out Burgers opened its first two stores in the area! More relevant to people here.

I don't think anyone outside bloggers and poli-tainers are paying much attention. I wouldn't know anything about it or this rapper if the Huffington Post article hadn't been posted here.

We have more important news leading off our broadcasts and on the front pages in D/FW: In N Out Burgers opened its first two stores in the area! More relevant to people here.

I'd give my arm to have an In N Out in SE Michigan!! You lucky punk. :silly:

If you haven't *heard* him read it, find it on youtube. Worth the listen. Classic.

The album he released last year ("I'm New Here") is well worth checking out.

For the record, I don't think the majority of "GOP" has a problem with this. Hannity does, but Hannity is an idiot. Palin apparently disapproved of it, but then she's kinda fringe person these days anyway.

I haven't seen much "outrage flaring" from the GOP in general.

i think a lot of people here do.

i wonder if we'd see as much misdirected outrage if obama had invited sigourney weaver or arnold schwarzenegger to read to children. in their "art" they have portrayed violence and sadism and used "bad language." yet as actors, they seem to get a pass for being involved in producing this type of imagery.

however, for some reason, some people associate rap artists as living and embodying everything about which they write or perform. i think it's a sub-conscious double-standard that needs to be acknowledged.