sagnam

Wings offseason

I hope this is just insurance.

That's all it is. He's on a 2-way deal. Holland says he'll be the 3rd guy, just like last year, starting the year in the AHL.

I don't think Ian White is good at all and I've watched him closely since Swift Current. However, Holland is much better than me.

A lot of people felt like that about Daniel Cleary too. You never know...sometimes the fit is good and other times it isn't. Ville Leino, anyone?

I'm struggling to see what the Wings have done to significantly up their chances of winning the Cup next year.

As am I, unless there is another signing, or they get a significant offensive contribution from someone unexpected.

They haven't improved their chances. Keeping Bertuzzi, Filppula and Holmstrom as top-6 forwards when you have $7mm in cap space isn't good enough.

Pretty unfortunate. I'd much, much rather have Vokoun than Howard. Vokoun is elite.

Elite? No way. Good, yes. But nowhere close to elite.

They haven't improved their chances. Keeping Bertuzzi, Filppula and Holmstrom as top-6 forwards when you have $7mm in cap space isn't good enough.

This years UFA class was REALLY weak and REALLY greedy. Noe the Wings have trade space for during the season and I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge deadline move from Holland this year, especially if the Wings are contending again.

I expect the Wings to make a trade, probably during the season.

Wings didn't "improve" this offseason too much (although I think the d corps are more solid now hopefully) but this wasn't the offseason to do it. I'm glad they didn't screw up their future. Especially since they should still be a upper tier team with the roster they have. I'm mostly resigning this year to having Smith and Tatar marinate in the AHL a little longer so that when next year rolls around, and contracts are coming off the books too, the Wings can be active in a WAY better free agent market and have young guys being infused in.

I guess Vokun is the only contract I've looked at and though "man that would have been great for the Wings to do." I can kind of see why they didn't sign him though, although that's too cheap to pass up.

I don't know if they really improved their D much. It depends on if Ericsson steps up and Smith or Kindl show anything. Ian White is nowhere close to being as good as Rafalski at passing the puck out of the zone and starting a rush, but at the same time, Ian White's body probably won't be breaking down in the playoffs either.

I would say they come about even on the D in the long run, unless those youngens step up.

Elite? No way. Good, yes. But nowhere close to elite.

How is he not close to elite? He's been in the top 10 of save percentage for most of his career, many times top 5. On bad teams most of the time.

2011: 9th

2010: 3rd

2009: 2nd

2008: 11th

2007: 5th

2006: 5th

He's certainly better than Jimmy Howard.

This years UFA class was REALLY weak and REALLY greedy. Noe the Wings have trade space for during the season and I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge deadline move from Holland this year, especially if the Wings are contending again.

I'll whisper it quietly so as not to spoil the surprise...Zach Parise!!!

I don't see any reason to think that next year's UFA class won't be just as greedy and just as insanely priced. We sometimes make the mistake of projecting that a UFA class 12 months from now is going to be great, when in reality many of them will sign with their current team between now and the spring.

I don't see any reason to think that next year's UFA class won't be just as greedy and just as insanely priced. We sometimes make the mistake of projecting that a UFA class 12 months from now is going to be great, when in reality many of them will sign with their current team between now and the spring.

This year's free agent class was widely agreed to be extremely weak. There just wasn't much to bid on. The best players available got paid like top talent, even though they weren't. I really don't see anything wrong with staying put like the Wings did this year. It's possible that next year will be weak too, but I think that's highly unlikely.

Holland has shown the ability to avoid the bad contract in the salary cap era thus far. I have faith that he's exploring options to make the team better.

This team is not going to upgrade significantly through free agency, unless they can run into another Hossa looking to take a 1 year deal for a shot at a cup, or like Rafalski 4 years ago, they will take a shot on a guy they feel is the right fit. They just aren't going to make a splash every year.

How is he not close to elite? He's been in the top 10 of save percentage for most of his career, many times top 5. On bad teams most of the time.

2011: 9th

2010: 3rd

2009: 2nd

2008: 11th

2007: 5th

2006: 5th

He's certainly better than Jimmy Howard.

How many playoff series has Vokoun stolen for his teams if he's so good? answer: zero. Actually, you can measure his playoff WINS on one hand. Granted, he hasn't played on the greatest teams, but people are talking like he's this year's Hasek and the wings missed out on him. The guy's nothing more than a solid goalie with zero playoff experience. I'll take Jimmy.

How many playoff series has any Red Wings goalie besides Hasek stolen? Why is that the measure of a good goalie?

How many playoff series has Vokoun stolen for his teams if he's so good? answer: zero. Actually, you can measure his playoff WINS on one hand. Granted, he hasn't played on the greatest teams, but people are talking like he's this year's Hasek and the wings missed out on him. The guy's nothing more than a solid goalie with zero playoff experience. I'll take Jimmy.

Hasek won 3 Vezina Trophies before stealing a playoff series. That guy was on another level and it took him numerous attempts in the playoffs get a series win. That's hardly indicative of anything.

Vokoun is really good, but he's no Hasek. Of course, you could have never gotten Hasek for 1.5 million until he hit his 40s. That's the point.

I'm not sure I'd say Vokoun is elite, but I'd say he's very good and definitely better than Howard.

I'm not saying that Holland should have overpaid for anyone. Standing pat isn''t worse than making a bad deal. Simply stating that to me it's unfortunate we weren't able to upgrade by trade or free agency. Standing pat isn't as good as having been able to make a good deal.

I'd just like us to be able to make a splash at forward at some point in the season. It's been awhile since Holland has been able to. Look who have been brought in from the outside over the few years - Hudler, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves. 2 busts, a decent addition albeit one who should be considered a bottom-6 forward, and a decent addition who is considered a bottom-6 forward.

Welcome back, Ty Conklin.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569685

Wednesday, 07.20.2011 / 10:00 AM / Press Release

By Rick Bowness - Public Relations Coordinator

DETROIT -- Red Wings general manager Ken Holland today announced that the club has signed free agent goaltender Ty Conklin on a one-year contract. In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

Conklin previously tended goal for Detroit during the 2008-09 season, during which he went 25-11-2 with a 2.51 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage. In addition to his time with the Red Wings, Conklin has played for St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Buffalo and Edmonton during his lengthy NHL career. The 35-year-old native of Anchorage, Alaska, has amassed a record of 91-61-4-16 in 200 total NHL appearances to go along with 16 shutouts, a 2.64 goals-against average and a .908 save percentage.

I'm not saying that Holland should have overpaid for anyone. Standing pat isn''t worse than making a bad deal. Simply stating that to me it's unfortunate we weren't able to upgrade by trade or free agency. Standing pat isn't as good as having been able to make a good deal.

I'd just like us to be able to make a splash at forward at some point in the season. It's been awhile since Holland has been able to. Look who have been brought in from the outside over the few years - Hudler, Williams, Bertuzzi, Eaves. 2 busts, a decent addition albeit one who should be considered a bottom-6 forward, and a decent addition who is considered a bottom-6 forward.

With $6 million plus in Cap Space and Zach Parise an RFA I smell a Parise deal sometime during the season.

General question for those who follow the farm system...

...how good is the Red Wings system relative to other teams. I really don't keep an eye on it, but I have a buddy tha swears the Wings have as good and deep a set of prospects as anyone. Is that true?

Maybe more important quesiton - is that impressive or significant? By that, I mean does all the high end young talent go straight to the NHL, so the Wings have the best of a bad lot?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.