sagnam

Wings offseason

Ericsson got the going rate for a player of his potential, but he needs to start getting closer to that potential - and quickly. Rafalski was old and he broke down late in the year and in the playoffs, but the Wings are really gonna feel that loss when guys are having trouble starting a play out of their own zone. Rafalski was a master at that and there weren't too many players like him out there....and none in this year's free agents.

But Ericsson making 3.5 a year is like Jack Wilson making almost 8 million a year....its the going rate, but it's ridiculous.

Doesn't really matter if we think Ericsson was overpaid and we blame Holland or that he was paid the market rate so we blame the market and other owners. The bottom line is that a more or less healthy (by playoff standards) Wings team that lost to San Jose which lost to Vancouver which to Boston is not yet any better than when the season ended. They've resigned Miller, Eaves and Ericsson, lost Rafalski, and replaced Salei with Commodore.

Not sure how I feel about Commodore yet. I was really hoping the Wings would be in on Erhoff or Wisniewski but oh well. Kaberle is still out there so maybe they can swing a deal for him. Semin would be great on the PP if the Caps would take Hudler off our hands.

Semin is one of the most overrated players in the league after collapsing in the 2nd half last season. I'd say stay away.

Ian White takes a slight pay cut and signs wth the Wings for two years at $2.875 mil per. Welcome to Detroit, Mr White...

Like the White signing, thought they'd get him yesterday.

Also on the subject of Ericsson, I bet he gets more money from other teams on the open market.

Doesn't really matter if we think Ericsson was overpaid and we blame Holland or that he was paid the market rate so we blame the market and other owners. The bottom line is that a more or less healthy (by playoff standards) Wings team that lost to San Jose which lost to Vancouver which to Boston is not yet any better than when the season ended. They've resigned Miller, Eaves and Ericsson, lost Rafalski, and replaced Salei with Commodore.

Agreed.

Ian White takes a slight pay cut and signs wth the Wings for two years at $2.875 mil per. Welcome to Detroit, Mr White...

Yes! I think that's a bargain price. He's better than Ericsson, IMO.

Ian White....now THERE is a top six d man. Commodore will be the DHS. Designated Healthy Scratch.

over who?

Ian White will fit nicely on this team as an apparent puck mover on defense I believe and that type of defensive player always seems to do well in Babcock's system. It's not a deal that's going to blow the roof off of the Joe or anything but I like White and think this move will workout to be a good one.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Ian White....now THERE is a top six d man. Commodore will be the DHS. Designated Healthy Scratch.

I bet Kindl sits the most.

Yes! I think that's a bargain price. He's better than Ericsson, IMO.

Agreed, but Ericsson has the potential to be much better. I just don't think he will ever live up to that potential.

Agreed, but Ericsson has the potential to be much better. I just don't think he will ever live up to that potential.

White and Ericsson are both 27, so who knows, maybe White has an upside too. Looked very solid against the Wings in the playoffs. Even Commodore's only 31. Suddenly, with Rafalski, Maltby, Draper and in all likelihood Osgood gone, the Wings really aren't all that old.

$7mm in cap space. I want a forward still. Doesn't have to be this week or this month or even before the season begins.

At least they added some size with Commodore. The biggest problem with them against the Sharks is that they were physically outmatched, and wouldn't beat them with the same roster.

I don't think Ian White is good at all and I've watched him closely since Swift Current. However, Holland is much better than me.

I don't think Ian White is good at all and I've watched him closely since Swift Current. However, Holland is much better than me.

A day 2 signing during a fairly weak free agent year can never be a good thing. Let's hope for the best.

White was awful in Toronto (no surprise there) and wasn't great in Calgary either. I don't mind the signing though, and its weird to think he is the same age as Ericsson.

This bascially writes off B.Smith for the start of the year, maybe we will see him when the injuries start to hit, or they decide Commodore is no good. He was a healthy in Columbus alot last year.

It will be interesting to see how these signings work out. White is a pretty good Rafalski replacement considering the money trade off, but Erriccson will really have to step it up for us to be a legit Cup team. The F and G situations still need tweaking too.

RED WINGS EXPECT TO SIGN OR ACQUIRE A BACKUP GOALTENDER SOON

AP 7/4/2011 1:40:12 PM

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings are searching for a backup goaltender, and their options are limited.

"The market for goalies is pretty picked over," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "We're comfortable with Chris Osgood if we have to do it."

Osgood has won three Stanley Cups, two as a No. 1 goalie, and 401 games, mostly with Detroit. But he played in only 11 games last season, recovering from sports hernia surgery in January.

Holland might re-sign Osgood, bring back Ty Conklin, who won a career-high 25 games for the Red Wings during the 2008-09 season, or trade for someone to spell Jimmy Howard.

"I have gotten calls from teams, looking to trade a goaltender," Holland said. "I need to do something and I probably will this week."

The 38-year-old Osgood has hinted that he would retire to spend time with his three children rather than find a new NHL home if he's not welcomed back by the Red Wings.

"They play 20 soccer games, I see maybe two or three of them," Osgood said in May after Detroit's season ended in the second round for the second straight year. "You don't get a chance to see them and all of a sudden they're 10 and seven."

Holland also has a decision to make about 40-year-old Kris Draper, another veteran Red Wing, after retaining depth up front by re-signing Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller.

Draper could be left with a tough decision, signing a two-way contract that might leave him playing for Grand Rapids in the AHL at times, retiring or trying to land with another NHL team.

Like Osgood, Draper didn't sound as if he were willing to uproot or settle his family if the Red Wings didn't want him to return.

"This is home," Draper, a Red Wing since 1993, said a couple months ago. "That's what make it that much tougher. That's all my kids know."

The Red Wings pretty much know what their team will look like next season with or without Osgood and Draper.

They agreed to terms with defenceman Ian White on a US$5.75-million, two-year contract Saturday, a day after opening NHL free agency by adding defenceman Mike Commodore.

Detroit kept defenceman Jonathan Ericsson along with Eaves and Miller off the market by re-signing them last week and got great news in June when Nicklas Lidstrom decided to play for another season just before winning his seventh Norris Trophy as the NHL's best defenceman.

"We like our team, but we're ready to make another move or two -- whether it's a signing or a trade -- to make our team better this summer," Holland said.

LOL commodore 64 would rule

I was laughing about this at work today, then had to explain it to the girl that sits next to me.:dead: