sagnam

Wings offseason

Tater, nice sig, I read Rogers' book about going across China in a yellow Mercedes.

IF something big doesn't happen over the next week, the Wings' prospects for the upcoming season are alarming. Take a team that was in the bottom 1/3 in the NHL in goals allowed, delete Rafalski, and re-sign one of the weak links. Trouble.

Wow....I sure hope those who were saying they think we're giving up on Ericsson too early turn out to be right.

LS is definitely right, especially about Kronwall. He's going to have a nice payday coming his way after this year. Stuart is due a raise too, but I don't see it being as drastic as what I expect for Kronwall.

Tater, nice sig, I read Rogers' book about going across China in a yellow Mercedes.

IF something big doesn't happen over the next week, the Wings' prospects for the upcoming season are alarming. Take a team that was in the bottom 1/3 in the NHL in goals allowed, delete Rafalski, and re-sign one of the weak links. Trouble.

I have to pick up that book, It's on my reading list. Rogers is always bucking the trend and telling you to do opposite of the CNBC and mainstream wallstreet shmucks.

I am extremely disappointed that Wiz didn't want to skate for his hometown team and that Erhoff was off the market so quickly, but my disappointment has not turned into worry yet because he's running things...

kenhollandgo.jpg

Ken Holland isn't going to go away from the meat counter with Chuck, we'll be eating better than that, just don't know yet if it'll be a Porterhouse or a Strip!

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Question, and not just directed at you, but for everyone....even though it's been addressed before, I wonder if opinions have changed now that many of our potential targets are gone.

Do you give up the four first round picks and go after a guy like Doughty or Weber?

I have to say, I think I have changed my mind & now, I'd do it.

I've never been afraid of giving up the 4 1st round picks to sign an RFA. It's the contract that wouldn't get matched that I'm afraid of.

Rafalski wasn't exactly a defensive stud last year....

And I would forget about making an offer sheet to a RFA, Holland won't do it and I'm with him on that.

Pitkanen gets 4.5 mil, Wisnewski gets over 5 mil from the jackets, Erhoff has to be stretched to ten years to average 4 mil from the Sabres. 9.75 over three years for Ericsson doesn't seem out of line at all...

Pitkanen gets 4.5 mil, Wisnewski gets over 5 mil from the jackets, Erhoff has to be stretched to ten years to average 4 mil from the Sabres. 9.75 over three years for Ericsson doesn't seem out of line at all...

This is getting stupid - just like baseball stupid. I like Wizzer, but he is not worth that kind of money.

Per twitter, both the Pens and Wings are out on Jagr.

cotsonika Nick Cotsonika

As per @CraigCustance and @kausatoday, Red Wings are out on Jagr, too. Teams like Pens and Wings were going to take risk on their terms.

Edited by Walt

Good riddance to Jagr.

I imagine the Wings will look hard at Ian White, hope they look at Cam Barker who was just made a UFA.

Also, regarding salaries, here was a good post by someone over at the hfboards:

People make comments about how every other free agent is getting overpaid.

There are plenty of things that go into a decision to sign a player. Consider need. Length of the contract. Age of the player. Likelihood of player improvement. Upcoming contract renewals. And so on.

One thing that many on this board seem to be ignoring is the NHL salary cap.

For reference:

2007 - 50.3

2008 - 56.7

2009 - 56.8

2010 - 59.4

2011 - 64.3

- The cap has increased 27.2% over the 2007 salary cap.

- The cap has increased 13.4% since 2008

- The cap has increased 8% since just last year.

So let's consider some big Wings contracts signed in the last 5 years and compare them to today's signings. The most relevant of which would be Brian Rafalski.

Rafalski signed in 2007 with the Wings at the age of 33. He had just put up 55 points - his highest season total in his career. He signed for a long term - 5 years - and his contract included an NTC. To boot, many thought he took a "hometown" discount off of what he could have received from other teams. Rafalski himself admitted that other teams had offered him more than the Red Wings.

In 2007, Rafalski would make $6M. That $6M was a whopping 11.9% of the salary cap.

If Rafalski signed for a contract that ate up 11.9% of the cap today, he would be making a ridiculous 7.62M per year.

If Rafalski signed for $6M today, he'd be consuming 9.3% of the cap space. Had Rafalski's contract taken up just 9.3% of the cap in 2007, he'd have made $4.68M per year.

Now consider what some of the Wings salaries would look like if they took up the same percentage of the cap today that they did when they were signed:

Cleary would make 3.15M per year

Filppula would make 3.4M per year

Stuart would make 4.25M per year.

Rafalski would make 7.62M per year.

Lidstrom's contract this year would've been 5.75M last year, under the same formula.

So if Kenny goes out and signs Ehrhoff to a $6M per year deal, or Wisniewski to 5, lets not let our heads collectively implode, mmkay?

Cam Barker suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Wasn't a fit for the Wild at all and should come cheap. Wings have a way of reviving former top prospects. If he comes cheap I don't see why not. Worried he'll take time away from the magnificent Kindl?

Wasn't a fit for the Wild at all and should come cheap. Wings have a way of reviving former top prospects. If he comes cheap I don't see why not. Worried he'll take time away from the magnificent Kindl?

I prefer not to sign a crappy hockey player just because he might perform better than another crappy hockey player. I'd rather they focus their efforts towards someone not crappy.

I prefer not to sign a crappy hockey player just because he might perform better than another crappy hockey player. I'd rather they focus their efforts towards someone not crappy.

My contention is that he isn't a crappy hockey player, just one who didn't fit well in with the system he was in (the type of player the Wings like to grab). Didn't he put up 40-50 points in Chicago early on before he got traded? I don't see why taking a flyer on him would be that bad.

We just re-signed Miller and Eaves too.

Eaves at 3 years, 1.3 cap hit or around there if I remember correctly; Miller at 2 years, $840,000ish cap hit. Can't remember the exact numbers.

Never bad to keep depth guys that fit the system around. Solid, cheap moves.

I'm bummed about Jagr. I think he could have been a huge boost. If Ericcson can get 3.25, I would have at least matched that for Jaromir. He's a great system fit and seems to still have his skills. Hockey is an old man's game more than other sports as it isn't based on pure athletic skills as much(that is not a knock on hockey players' athleticism overall)

My contention is that he isn't a crappy hockey player, just one who didn't fit well in with the system he was in (the type of player the Wings like to grab). Didn't he put up 40-50 points in Chicago early on before he got traded? I don't see why taking a flyer on him would be that bad.

I don't know the guy well, but I agree with the sentiment. THis is hwo the Wings stay so good. They find cheaper guys who fit the system and want to come here to win. You can't sign all proven stars

Dumping Hudler would be nice, though OTOH he coudl bounce back to what he was for us previously

$1 million. Love it.

*I don't really LOVE it, he's far from a perfect player, but I'm fine with him for the next year, especially with the deals going on/the free agent market. So I "love" it in context I guess.