sagnam

Wings offseason

I had a feeling this might happen, and not based on McCrimmon's performance. Bob Boughner resigned from Columbus yesterday to be closer to his family and business interests in Windsor. He said the only way he and his family would leave the Windsor area was if he got a head coaching job in the NHL. Nobody will offer him that position even with two Memorial Cups, but only one year as an assistant at the NHL level. Now the Wings are looking for a coach and Boughner is just across the river. Coincidence?

I had a feeling this might happen, and not based on McCrimmon's performance. Bob Boughner resigned from Columbus yesterday to be closer to his family and business interests in Windsor. He said the only way he and his family would leave the Windsor area was if he got a head coaching job in the NHL. Nobody will offer him that position even with two Memorial Cups, but only one year as an assistant at the NHL level. Now the Wings are looking for a coach and Boughner is just across the river. Coincidence?

Since McCrimmon got here our play defensively has steadily declined. Our spacing thru the neutral zone doesnt allow us to step up at the blueline allowing easy penetration by opposing forwards. Then when in our zone we play it like a PK keeping everything to the outside. Theres no aggression. I know part of that is personel but mostly its philosophy. McCrimmon had to go. I said it last year and became even more opposed to him this year. Good riddance. BTW I hated him when he played for us too, the guy sucked in the Wingedwheel.

Jim Nill may leave. I go to school with his niece and nephew and they told me his wife, Becky, has liver cancer and probably won't live through it. They said he'll possibly retire after that.

1. Id consider buying out Rafalski

2. Maybe it wouldnt be bad if Lidstrom retires, he is still a damn good player, but I dont think he is worth the 6-7 mil a year anymore and I doubt he would get a pay cut if he stays

3. Use the 11 or so mil you get from buying out Rafalski and Nick retiring to sign 2 top end dmen. Call up Smith and dont resign Ericsson or Salei. Go with the 2 FA, Kronwall, Stuart, Kindl and Smith. Sign a 5/6 defense type for cheap to complete the defense (maybe resign Ericsson if you can do it cheaply to fill this role)

4. Use the roughly 3 mil you get from Modano and Draper coming off the books plus the increase in cap money to sign a solid top 6 forward. Maybe try to trade Hudler to get some more cap room. Bring up some young guys, like Tatar and Mursak who are cheap to fill in the roster.

5. sign a backup goalie

Roster would look something like

Dats (6.7) - Z (6) - Homer (1.9)

Franzen (3.9) - Filp (3) - FA (4 or so)

Bert (1.9) - Hudler (or FA if you can trade) (2.9) - Cleary (2.8)

Abdelkader (.8) - Helm (.9) - Mursak (.7 or so)

Tatar (.7)

FA (6 or so/or Lidstrom) - Stuart (3.7)

FA ( 4 or so) - Kronwall (3)

Kindl (.8) - Smith (.9)

(Ericsson or cheap FA .8)

Rafalski cap hit (2)

Howard (2.2)

FA (.8)

Total 60.4 (If my math is right, which is around what the rumored cap is to be next year)

Well now that Rafalski retired

Roster would look something like

Dats (6.7) - Z (6) - Homer (1.9)

Franzen (3.9) - Filp (3) - FA (5 or so)

Bert (1.9) - Hudler (or FA if you can trade) (2.9) - Cleary (2.8)

Abdelkader (.8) - Helm (.9) - Mursak (.7 or so)

Tatar (.7)

6 or so for Lidstrom (or FA)- Stuart (3.7)

FA ( 5 or so) - Kronwall (3)

Kindl (.8) - Smith (.9)

(Ericsson or cheap FA .8)

Howard (2.2)

FA (.8)

Total 60.4 (If my math is right, which is around what the rumored cap is to be next year)

We are going to have roughly 10 mil to sign a 2nd line dman and a top 6 scorer. Can add two quality players.

Sad to see Raffy's career to end the way it did. To play the playoffs w/o an acl in one knee is just insane! Should be interesting to see what the Wings do in the offseason w/ Brian's money coming off the books.

Cap news.

NHL salary cap going up

Bill Daly, the deputy commissioner of the National Hockey League, addressed the annual conference of the Sports Lawyers Association on the weekend and revealed that the NHL salary cap will go up as it has each year since the current collective agreement went into effect for the 2005-06 season.

The cap is based on hockey related revenue and Daly told the group, which included a number of salivating agents, that the NHL is expecting to post record revenue of close to $3 billion for the 2010-11 season. That’s an increase of more than $200 million from the previous season.

Since the CBA was reached after the 2004-05 lockout, league-wide revenues have increased by $750-800 million and the cap has increased by more than $20 million a team. The salary cap last season was $59.4 million and Daly said that it could jump to between $60.5 million and $63.5 million for next season.

You might recall that the NHL owners said the lockout was necessary because the average salary had reached $1.8 million. The average salary is currently more than $2.3 million.

You can expect revenues to go up again next season, partly because the Atlanta Thrashers will be attracting sellout crowds in Winnipeg and there will be increased television dollars as a result of the new U.S. deals with Versus and NBC.

Not sure who I really want the Wings to sign from this free agent class... nothing is really exciting me...

That's the thing. So we have cap room. Great. Now we have to find a good player at a good price. Like every other team in the league. Remember we had some cap space for a forward when Hudler left and we ended up with Jason Williams! I like Erhoff/Bieksa, Yandle, Wisniewski.

Not sure who I really want the Wings to sign from this free agent class... nothing is really exciting me...

Shea Weber.

Shea Weber is restricted, and Nashville isnt going to let him go anywhere

Yep. Time for Holland to do what everyone else has done to the Wings for SO LONG.

Force the Preds to pay through the nose to keep someone they really want so that they CANT keep other players down the road, like... Suter.

Lots of good restricted FA this year... Weber, Yandle, Doughty, Bogosian. Seems like at least one of those could be purchased.

But just looking at the unrestricted FA, I think a haul of Christian Ehrhoff and Brooks Laich would be pretty sweet.

R=Restricted Free Agent

UN=Unrestricted Free Agent

Teemu Selanne(UN)

Michael Ryder (UN)

Nathan Gerbe ®

Rob Niedermayer (UN)

Fredrik Modin (UN)

Brendan Morrison (UN)

Alex Tanguay (UN)

Erik Cole (UN)

Jussi Jokinen (UN)

Troy Brouwer ®

Tomas Kopecky (UN)

Adam Foote (UN)

Brad Richards (UN)

Tomas Kaberle ®

Ray Emery (UN)

Blake Wheeler ®

Marty Turco ®

Peter Budaj (UN)

Milan Hejduk (UN)

Sergei Samsonov (UN)

Tomas Vokoun (UN)

Drew Doughty ®

Andrew Brunette (UN)

John Madden (UN)

Jose Theodore (UN)

Hal Gill (UN)

Roman Hamrlik (UN)

Brent Sopel (UN)

James Wisniewski (UN)

Shea Weber ®

Zack Parise ®

Kyle Okposo ®

Evgeni Nabokov (UN)

Doug Weight (UN)

Ryan Callahan ®

Brandon Dubinsky ®

Ruslan Fedotenko (UN)

Vaclav Prospal (UN)

Brian Boucher (UN)

Villie Leino (UN)

Keith Yandle ®

Ed Jovanovski (UN)

Pascal Dupuis (UN)

Alexei Kovalev (UN)

Devin Setoguchi ®

Ty Conklin (UN)

Steven Stamkos ®

Simon Gagne (UN)

Jean Sebastien Giguere (UN)

Christian Ehrhoff (UN)

Jason Arnott (UN)

Mike Knuble (UN)

Michael Nylander (UN)

Has Holland ever made an offer to a restricted FA under the salary cap? I can't recall a time. I just exclude RFA from possible signings I guess. Especially a guy like Weber who Nashville would never let leave.

Hejduk did resign. And the Islanders still have Nabokov's rights next year.

I wouldn't have Selanne on any list either, I'm pretty sure it's either the Ducks or retirement for him.

Lots of good restricted FA this year... Weber, Yandle, Doughty, Bogosian. Seems like at least one of those could be purchased.

Would you be willing to pay the price involved with buying one of them? I think the only name there that I would be willing to pay the astronomical price associated with RFAs (lots of $ and four first rounders) would be Doughty. Though, I'd have to strongly consider Yandle and Weber as well. Four first rounders is a lot though even with our scouting department....

Wait... it costs 4 first rounders to sign an RFA??? Umm, yeah, I'll pass. Even for Doughty or Weber. Jeebus that's steep.

Then again, this year's UFA crop sucks bigtime...

Wait... it costs 4 first rounders to sign an RFA??? Umm, yeah, I'll pass. Even for Doughty or Weber. Jeebus that's steep.

Then again, this year's UFA crop sucks bigtime...

Well it all depends on how much the guy is signed for. But I'm sure we'd be giving big bucks to go after a restricted guy.

In 2008 - Signing a restricted free agent to a contract worth over $6,539,062 per year costs a team four first-round draft picks.

Signing a restricted free agent to a salary averaging $2,615,625 to $3,923,437 per season will lose a first-round draft pick and a third-round draft pick to the player’s old team.

Not sure how all this translates to 2011, but that's the first article I looked at off of google.

I don't think it is happening. My hope is that Detroit gets Ehrhoff and doesn't give a big contract to any of those forwards. Means they'd be playing Mursak, Tatar, and Emmerton most likely... don't know if the Wings want to roll with that many rookies. I'm just scared of giving anything significant to this years FA class.

Yeah, the forwards in this class aren't worth much. I'd roll with Ehrhoff and the rookies before giving a long-term contract to any of the offensive FA.

Just stay away from Markov and Salo (all we need is more injury-prone players). And hands off Kaberle too - we need a hitter.