sagnam

Wings offseason

Mursak is going to play for the Wings next year and Tatar might as well. Sheahan is very talented on a defensive oriented college team, big too. He should be a solid two way guy. Brendan Smith had a great rookie AHL campaign, with a couple years to hopefully develop his defense he should be up with the Wings. Apparently he could qb a power play in the nhl right now. Supposed to be a top pairing guy. Pulkkinen broke records for rookie scoring in the Finish Elite league as a teenager, some held by another pretty good Teemu... he was a steal where he was drafted. 19 year old putting up PPG in that league is awesome. His shot is unreal too. Jarnkrok looked solid in Juniors, and played well in the Elite league, TSN has him third on their list of Wings prospect rankings (Smiith and Tatar before him, then goes Sheahen, Nyquist, Mursak, Emmerton, Pulkkinen, McCLOLum, Ferraro). Hakan Andersson has been raving about Jarnkrok, lately for his work ethic. He led all junior aged Elite league players in scoring and had three goals in three games in the playoffs before getting hurt. I think Nyquist has some promise, want to see him in the AHL. He scored a TON in college. I would rank him higher truthfully. Unfortunately they don't have a stud defenseman who is sure to defend well, but they have a lot of good prospects in my opinion. Some intriguing guys too like Callahan, Ferraro (showed some flashes beforre injury ended season), Mrazek, Almqvist, Aubry, Coetzee, and Joakim Andersson (didn't the coaches love him in camp this year or something?). Hockeyfuture.com has the Wings with the 10th best system in the NHL. These guys will develop and hopefully filter into the NHL over the next few years.

Forward depth highlights Red Wings talent pool - Hockey's Future

decent write ups in there.

Like I said, I'm not as optimistic about some of these guys.

I wouldn't be either, the Wings have never shown to be competent drafters.

^Is that still the correct color for sarcasm?

Well these are the types of players that need to get drafted since the Wings never have a top 5-10 pick. I think their track record of drafting is pretty good to at least have some trust/optimism especially when these young kids are producing against grown men already.

Is Ferraro one of Chicken Parm's relatives?

Yep, his son. And it seems recently, notably in these playoffs, Ferraro has come off as biased against the Wings. I've always liked Ray Ferraro and am not whining about that nor do I hold it against them. He may be making a concerted effort to leave no doubt that he's not rooting for his kid's franchise or he may be doing it subconsciously. Understandable. Like when a Little League coach is always a bit harder on his own so as not to show favoritism.

Boy, what a change if Lidstrom, Osgood, and Draper retire. Three guys who have seen the glory days here and two who should see their jerseys hang from the rafters here. I have no idea if Lidstrom retires or not, but I want him back if he wants to come back. Osgood, I think should retire, if he doesnt maybe he gets a training camp to show what he has or goes to a second rate team for a year. I see Draper retiring and following Maltby to the front office. All three should be in our front office if they retire. We could see different players wearing the "C" (Zetterberg) and the "A" next year.

I think Modano will retire.

I think we could do worse at backup goalie then Macdonald and I know that Howard may have entrenched himself in the crease for years to come, but I wonder if we see the Wings look at a trade with the Islanders still for Nabokov?

I am concerned at what Eaves will get on the open market, and I dont think it will affect us if Miller leaves. You could buy out Rafalski or let him stay, im not sure were the much better or worse without him and I see Abdelkader coming back but on a shorter leash.

I would like to see Hudler gone. Without the confidence he once had, hes just not very good IMO. I think some of the deferred passes he had tonight kept us for good looks at the net and a decent reason why we lost.

The Wings Iirayi Filppula has signed a contract in Finland and wants a NHL one way contract somewhere. Holland has said that he doesnt see a further for Val's brother in the NHL, so he shouldnt factor for a roster spot. Janik should be cost effective for us. I think you see no more then one (at the most, 2) of Mursak/Tater/Emmerton and Kindl. But that will depend on who they sign moving ahead.

Maybe its just game 7 speaking but Lidstrom or not, we need to get younger and better at defenseman.

Im not briefed on the pending free agents enough to know whose out there that could help us.

It will be the most interesting offseason in recent memory...

and when I say Nabokov as a backup via trade, its because I just dont know how many teams will be lining up for him to start with them (Maybe the Islanders give up on DiPetrio, or they have Nabokov backup, if he would report) or if they will be scared of him not reporting. We atleast know he will report to Detroit. The Islanders just extended his contract after suspending him and Nabokov wont file a grivence because the Islanders agree to allow him to play in the tourament this week.

Re-Sign:

(RW) Patrick Eaves for around $850,000/3 Years

(D) Nick Lidstrom (Whatever he wants, if he wants to come back)

(D) Johnathan Ericsson for around $950,000/2-3 Years

Really?

I think Rafalski needs to hang it up. Not that he is a bad player or anything, but he's got terrible back problems and knee problems and he's not a big guy to begin with. He's had a great career - for a guy that wasn't supposed to be in the NHL. I only say this because the Wings need to sign a really good younger defenseman and with Rafalski's salary, they can't. Ehroff from Vancouver would be a great fit.

Not that anyone could replace Nick Lidstrom, but Kronwall sure showed he could be a potential No. 1 defenseman in these playoffs - he was terrific, I just don't know if he could do it all season.

I think Modano and Draper and Osgood are done, but I could see Draper retiring and then unretiring late in the regular season if the Wings need depth.

I think we'll see a lot of Mursak, Ritola, Emerton and Tatar next year. I could see them going after Tim Connolly or Andrew Brunette this offseason, if they have the money.

I think we'll see a lot of Mursak, Ritola, Emerton and Tatar next year. I could see them going after Tim Connolly or Andrew Brunette this offseason, if they have the money.

Correct me if im wrong but Ritola was claimed last camp by the Lightning, no?

I was correct, heres the link-

http://ltlhockey.blogspot.com/2010/10/tampa-claims-ritola-as-detroit-waives.html

and his season stats...

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471668

Edited by vannzee
found link

Correct me if im wrong but Ritola was claimed last camp by the Lightning, no?

No wonder they didn't call him up, well, the other three guys then.

I think the Wings will try to go after a good defenseman (should Brian retire) and at least one B-level forward.

I think Nick gives it one more go.

Just don't bring back Ericsson, please. Weber would be an awesome get, but he's a RFA isn't he?

Any chance the Thrashers part with Andrew Ladd? He's got one more year left on his deal and if we could swing a trade sending a pick or two and a prospect their way for Ladd I would be into that deal.

Ladd for a 2011 3rd Round, 2011 4th Round, 2012 4th Round Pick and Cory Emmerton, maybe? Too wishful, yes?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Any chance the Thrashers part with Andrew Ladd? He's got one more year left on his deal and if we could swing a trade sending a pick or two and a prospect their way for Ladd I would be into that deal.

Ladd for a 2011 3rd Round, 2011 4th Round, 2012 4th Round Pick and Cory Emmerton, maybe? Too wishful, yes?

He's their captain and the franchise/fans love him. There have been a ton of extension rumors surrounding him, don't see him being traded really. I'd bet they'd want a NHL ready guy back that is better than Emmerton though.

Pretty sure James Wisnewski is a UFA. He'd be a nice add if the price is right.

Agreed, Let Ericsson walk and sign either Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pikanen, Wisnewski or Markov if the price is right.

Dont get me wrong, Wisniewski is a favorite of mine. He went to my HS while I was there, played for the Whalers when I worked for them a summer, he is a good player I would like to get. HOWEVER, he is an offensive first defenseman. I think the Wings need to look at adding a primarily defensive dman in the offseason. Defensive zone breakdowns were part of the problem this year for the Wings. Only way Id sign Wis I think is if I bought out Rafalski first so Wis would take his role.

Have to figure they drop Salei and could lose Ericsson to free agency meaning you have to replace at least 1 and maybe bring up Kindl. I like Erhoff and as Johnny just said, they need a defensive defenseman seeing as Rafalski, Kronwall, Ericsson are all offensive defenseman.

I wouldn't be so quick to let Ericsson leave...granted he's had some struggles over the past couple of years, but he had a decent playoffs and he's one of the few Wings willing to drop the gloves when someone takes a run at our smaller guys. I don't see him becoming a part of thetop defensive pairing, but I definitely think he's a top six quality guy.

I wouldn't be so quick to let Ericsson leave...granted he's had some struggles over the past couple of years, but he had a decent playoffs and he's one of the few Wings willing to drop the gloves when someone takes a run at our smaller guys. I don't see him becoming a part of thetop defensive pairing, but I definitely think he's a top six quality guy.

I will agree with this, with the stipulation that he doesn't become very expensive. I don't want him playing often against the other team's top line, but I think he fits on this team. Could be I haven't watched enough hockey though.

Ericsson has horrible defensive position. I lost count of how many times he was just standing around in the defensive zone, not covering anybody and just watching the play move around him. He has the tools to be a good defenseman, but I don't think he has the defensive hockey knowledge/instinct to be anything more than a third pairing guy that can't get too many minutes, especially against highly skilled forwards. He'd be fine at a very low price, especially since the free agent class is pretty weak and there won't be a ton of cap room, but I don't think he's anyone to get excited about.

Ericsson's fighting prowess is a bit overblown too. He fought three times last year, same as Abdelkader and they led the team. The big fighter Stuart came in second with two. Not that it really matters to me, but I don't think it really adds anything to his game.