sagnam

Wings offseason

Might a well get this started. What do you think needs to change?

Fire Lloyd.

1. Id consider buying out Rafalski

2. Maybe it wouldnt be bad if Lidstrom retires, he is still a damn good player, but I dont think he is worth the 6-7 mil a year anymore and I doubt he would get a pay cut if he stays

3. Use the 11 or so mil you get from buying out Rafalski and Nick retiring to sign 2 top end dmen. Call up Smith and dont resign Ericsson or Salei. Go with the 2 FA, Kronwall, Stuart, Kindl and Smith. Sign a 5/6 defense type for cheap to complete the defense (maybe resign Ericsson if you can do it cheaply to fill this role)

4. Use the roughly 3 mil you get from Modano and Draper coming off the books plus the increase in cap money to sign a solid top 6 forward. Maybe try to trade Hudler to get some more cap room. Bring up some young guys, like Tatar and Mursak who are cheap to fill in the roster.

5. sign a backup goalie

Roster would look something like

Dats (6.7) - Z (6) - Homer (1.9)

Franzen (3.9) - Filp (3) - FA (4 or so)

Bert (1.9) - Hudler (or FA if you can trade) (2.9) - Cleary (2.8)

Abdelkader (.8) - Helm (.9) - Mursak (.7 or so)

Tatar (.7)

FA (6 or so/or Lidstrom) - Stuart (3.7)

FA ( 4 or so) - Kronwall (3)

Kindl (.8) - Smith (.9)

(Ericsson or cheap FA .8)

Rafalski cap hit (2)

Howard (2.2)

FA (.8)

Total 60.4 (If my math is right, which is around what the rumored cap is to be next year)

Although taking a look at potential FA, no one jumps out at me.

Wouldnt mind taking a look at Kevin Bieksa or Christian Erhoff. Maybe get a guy like Wisniewski to take Rafalski's role at a cheaper cost.

No forwards really jump out to me from the list I saw

Contracts

Wishlist (early one of course and assuming the cap gets raised and Lidstrom comes back)...

Re-Sign:

(RW) Patrick Eaves for around $850,000/3 Years

(D) Nick Lidstrom (Whatever he wants, if he wants to come back)

(D) Johnathan Ericsson for around $950,000/2-3 Years

Let Go-Buyout:

(D)Ruslan Salei clearing around $1,100,000

(LW) Drew Miller clearing around $650,000

(D) Brian Rafalski bought out at $6,000,000

Retire:

© Kris Draper

Trade Wishlist (Probably Crazy):

Detroit Trades: (LW) Jiri Hudler, (D) Travis Ehrhardt (or other prospect), 4th Round Pick 2011 to NY and a 3rd Round Pick 2011, 6th Round Pick 2011 to Florida

NY (Islanders) Trade: (RW) Blake Comeau to Detroit and (RW) P.A. Parenteau to Florida

Florida Trades: © Stephen Weiss to Detroit and 4th Round Pick 2011 to NY

Detroit Gets: Comeau from NY and Weiss from Florida

NY Gets: Hudler, Detroit Prospect, 4th Round Pick 2011 from Detroit and 4th Round Pick 2011 from Florida

Florida Gets: 3rd and 6th Round Picks 2011 from Detroit and P.A. Partenau from NY

Free Agent Signings:

(D) James Wisniewski from Montreal at around $4,000,000

(D) Shane O'Brien from Nashville at around $1,950,000

That's why I said Let Go-Buyout. By let go I meant to infer not re-signing them.

that makes sense, misread your post

Brad Freakin' McCrimmon.

Gonzo. Dunzo. Hasta-la-bye-bye.

Brad Freakin' McCrimmon.

Yea McCrimmon and his play it like a PK defense has to go. I understand we dont have the personel to play a real physical game along the boards in our end but you cant sit back and let really good players go unmolested. They will make plays. And they have.

The roster needs to be tweaked. Hudler and Filpula are trade bait. Cleary too. Our secondary scoring isnt physical, is weak along the boards and is far to inconsistent, not just in thier scoring but in their compete level. Hudler had a decent game in this respect last night, but where was Filpula? And after a good first couple shifts Cleary was invisible. I wouldnt bring Bert or Miller back either. And if I got a big offer from someone Id trade Franzen too. But it would have to blow me away.

Lidstrom either needs to play for 1.5 or 2 mil a year or retire. His offensive game is still there but his defense has slipped to the point where hes unrecognizable out there. The defense as a whole needs to get bigger and more physical. Salei should be gone, I dont think Kindle is any sort of answer and Id look to trade him now because his value will only fall. Ericcson has failed to develop in his 2 full seasons but may have value because of his size and skating.

If we cant fill our holes thru FA Id look to bring up some young guys. Mursak, Tatar and Smith are the first that pop to mind.

Im willing to give Jimmy another year. Hes inconsistent but has shown well in the playoffs.

The team isnt that far off. They just need a couple wingers with high motors, maybe a center with some skill and size at defense.

I haven't read any of the other posts yet, so sorry if this looks close to someone else's.

Signed for next year:

Forwards:

Datsyuk - $6,700,000

Zetterberg - $6,083,333

Franzen - $3,954,545

Filppula - $3,000,000

Hudler - $2,875,000

Cleary - $2,800,000

Bertuzzi - $1,937,500

Holmstrom - $1,875,000

Helm - $912,500

Abdelkader - $787,500

Mursak - $550,000

Defense:

Rafalksi - $6,000,000

Stuart - $3,750,000

Kronwall - $3,000,000

Kindl - $883,333

Janik (signed for an NHL contract next year, bet he's going to be our 7th D) - $512,500

Goalies:

Howard - $2,250,000

Total under contract next year: $47,871,212

I'm going to assume the cap goes up from $59.4 million to something like... $61 million (random number).

If Lidstrom comes back:

Lidstrom resigns for 1 year at $5.5 million per year

MacDonald resigns for 1 year at $550,000 per year

Eaves resigns for 2 years at $800,000 per year

Sign Ehrhoff for 3 years at $4,000,000 million per year

Call up Tatar who has a cap hit of $870,000

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

Hudler - Abdelkader - Cleary

Mursak - Helm - Tatar

Eaves

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Kronwall - Ehrhoff

Stuart - Kindl

Janik

Howard

MacDonald

Total Cap Hit: $59,991,211 (Cap space of $1,008,789)

If Lidstrom retires:

MacDonald resigns for 1 year at $550,000 per year

Eaves resigns for 2 years at $800,000 per year

Sign A. Markov for 1 year at $5,000,000 per year (hopefully takes a 1 year deal to get value back after injuries, wouldn't mind singing a cheaper cap hit for a couple years though)

Sign Ehrhoff for 3 years at $4,000,000 million per year

Call up Tatar who has a cap hit of $870,000

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Bertuzzi - Filppula - Franzen

Hudler - Abdelkader - Cleary

Mursak - Helm - Tatar

Eaves

Markov - Rafalski

Kronwall - Ehrhoff

Stuart - Kindl

Janik

Howard

MacDonald

Total Cap Hit: $59,041,211 (Cap Space of $1,958,789)

Well that was fun. Probably not anything close to what is going to happen, but I enjoyed doing it haha. I'm really not excited about any free agents this year, hence not many changes. After next season Hudler, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Rafalski, Stuart, Kronwall, Helm (restricted), Abdelkader (restricted), and theoretically Markov/Lidstrom and MacDonald are off the books. That's a decent chunk of cap space to open up/guys to resign so I'd like to leave a little bit of cap room this upcoming season and not go crazy on a sub-par free agency class (in my opinion). There are a lot better free agents in the next class. I don't try to predict trades because it is a total crap shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings make a trade since the FA class is weak.

The Wings over the next 1 or 2 off-seasons need to sign a couple of front-line players under 30. The reason they were to make a relatively seamless transition between the teams of the late '90 and the late '00s was not only Lidstrom's presence but also the emergence of big stars Zetterberg and Datsyuk. Simply don't have that type of player in this generation (e.g, post-lockout drafts) - at best, guys like Ericsson, Helm, Abdelkader who fill roster spots but who aren't that special. The time to wheel and deal and rejuvenate is now, before they turn into the 1974 Detroit Tigers.

I am not ready yet to declare this the offseason.

That's the spirit. The Wings' chances of winning the series are now remote, but I'll keep enjoying the games until they're officially out. There'll be more than 100 days for offseason debate. I'm actually amazed that coming back from 3-0 down has only been done twice in the past 88 years (I try to block out the '42 incident). Look how many teams have won 4 straight either to sweep a series, after being down 1-0 in games, or after being down 2-0 in games. And not all of those were the higher seeded teams.

Edited by lordstanley

Brad Freakin' McCrimmon.

Agreed Shim here is my take

If Lids retires I would try to sign Doughty or Weber to shore up the D. Give them what they want so that Nash or LA cant match. Yeah I know its not gonna happen but I can dream lol

For better or worse Howard is our guy, so we will need a decent Back up. Someone who can even challenge for the #1. As much as I have bashed Jim Howard all yr he is not the reason we are down 0-3.

Buying Rafalski out is a dream, we are stuck with him and Bert till 12/13 when the roster will most likely change. Guys like Smith, Kindl and possibly Murisak will be Ready for Roster spots.

only REAL keepers IMO on this team are Pasha, Z, Lids and Helm.

everyone else should be available if the right deal comes around.

If Lids retires I would try to sign Doughty or Weber to shore up the D. Give them what they want so that Nash or LA cant match. Yeah I know its not gonna happen but I can dream lol

Don't shoot the messenger, and I was kind of weary posting this to begin with... But. I've heard that Shea Weber wants to play in Detroit.

Younger, stronger, faster.

Love all these yahoos calling 97.1 saying we need a guy like Probert, or McCarty. You win in the NHL with talented players who play big in big games. And you usually have to draft them. Not impressed with the Wings draft strategy the last few years.

Younger, stronger, faster.

Love all these yahoos calling 97.1 saying we need a guy like Probert, or McCarty. You win in the NHL with talented players who play big in big games. And you usually have to draft them. Not impressed with the Wings draft strategy the last few years.

I'd like to hear what hasn't impressed you with the Wings draft strategy, especially after having such a good draft this past year/good prospects waiting in the wings to come to the NHL.

Don't shoot the messenger, and I was kind of weary posting this to begin with... But. I've heard that Shea Weber wants to play in Detroit.

That would be awesome.

I'd like to hear what hasn't impressed you with the Wings draft strategy, especially after having such a good draft this past year/good prospects waiting in the wings to come to the NHL.

Guess I wasn't that impressed with last years draft (although 5th round pick Petr Mrazek could be a steal). I don't think much of Sheahan, Jarnkrok is skilled, but really small, as is Pulkkinen. Aubry could be a solid 3 liner, but is still developing, and was hurt much of this year, slowing his development.

From 2009, top pick (2nd round) Landon Ferraro was disappointing in his 19 year old year in the WHL and is no sure thing. Tatar certainly looks like a player. Let's hope he's ready next year. The rest of that draft is still uncertain.

Not sure who all these good prospects waiting in the wings are supposed to be?

Reports of the Wings' death have been greatly exaggerated!!

nothing that has happened since this thread was posted that would change any of the opinions I expressed in this thread (other than maybe Lidstrom isnt worth 6-7 mil a season anymore)

Guess I wasn't that impressed with last years draft (although 5th round pick Petr Mrazek could be a steal). I don't think much of Sheahan, Jarnkrok is skilled, but really small, as is Pulkkinen. Aubry could be a solid 3 liner, but is still developing, and was hurt much of this year, slowing his development.

From 2009, top pick (2nd round) Landon Ferraro was disappointing in his 19 year old year in the WHL and is no sure thing. Tatar certainly looks like a player. Let's hope he's ready next year. The rest of that draft is still uncertain.

Not sure who all these good prospects waiting in the wings are supposed to be?

Mursak is going to play for the Wings next year and Tatar might as well. Sheahan is very talented on a defensive oriented college team, big too. He should be a solid two way guy. Brendan Smith had a great rookie AHL campaign, with a couple years to hopefully develop his defense he should be up with the Wings. Apparently he could qb a power play in the nhl right now. Supposed to be a top pairing guy. Pulkkinen broke records for rookie scoring in the Finish Elite league as a teenager, some held by another pretty good Teemu... he was a steal where he was drafted. 19 year old putting up PPG in that league is awesome. His shot is unreal too. Jarnkrok looked solid in Juniors, and played well in the Elite league, TSN has him third on their list of Wings prospect rankings (Smiith and Tatar before him, then goes Sheahen, Nyquist, Mursak, Emmerton, Pulkkinen, McCLOLum, Ferraro). Hakan Andersson has been raving about Jarnkrok, lately for his work ethic. He led all junior aged Elite league players in scoring and had three goals in three games in the playoffs before getting hurt. I think Nyquist has some promise, want to see him in the AHL. He scored a TON in college. I would rank him higher truthfully. Unfortunately they don't have a stud defenseman who is sure to defend well, but they have a lot of good prospects in my opinion. Some intriguing guys too like Callahan, Ferraro (showed some flashes beforre injury ended season), Mrazek, Almqvist, Aubry, Coetzee, and Joakim Andersson (didn't the coaches love him in camp this year or something?). Hockeyfuture.com has the Wings with the 10th best system in the NHL. These guys will develop and hopefully filter into the NHL over the next few years.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12870/forward_depth_highlights_red_wings_talent_pool/

decent write ups in there.

Edited by drownwithyou