MSUBrian11

Sizemore Up, Rhymes down

Wait, why the hell would you want Weinhardt up for Alburquerque? What the heck has Weinhardt done to make you want him back?

They already took Enrique Gonzalez off the 40 man. There's an open spot.

It's not what Weinhardt has done in AAA, it is what AA has done in Detroit. I never liked Al, so if you want to say I have it out for the guy then so be it, because I probably do. If you want my real gut feeling on this, then Fu-Te Ni would be called up - but nobody in Detroit would go with that move (partially because it gives you 3 LH in the bullpen with my plan).

And I must have missed Enrique's 40 man departure when it happened, my mistake.

4. I think Oliver is a better option here.

5B. This doesn't really serve a purpose until he is off the DL, and has proved that he is not better than the alternative at 2B.

I called it as a flop between Furbush/Oliver, as the stats are almost identical (ERA, K, ER, etc.). I chose Charlie as he would be getting his first taste of MLB which I think would be a benefit right now, but if you can make a great argument for Andy I would switch my plan to him being called up.

I did throw in activate Guillen w/ the implication that 5B is not anywhere close to happening. Just show me something in the last 2 yrs to make me give him yet another try and I'll give him a month at the most, here's the ESPN stats link to help you out...

Carlos Guillen Stats - Detroit Tigers - ESPN

...I would be much happier with Sizemore and a non-complaining LF (even if it is Rugburn) than a deteriorating, overpaid Guillen right now.

4. I think Oliver is a better option here.

Agreed.

Not that it matters much, but I think Furbush got whacked around tonight.

That's it ... just one move? Not enough, sorry. This team needs a complete shakeup, not a wiggle.

Boy, ain't that the truth. As bad as Rhymes was, we still have Inge at 3rd, Magglio batting in the ever important 3 slot and Jackson leading off. This one move won't make much of a difference.

Leyland in this morning's paper; "this isn't really fair to Rhymes"

No kidding sherlock, should have sent him down two weeks ago.

More Leyland; " don't want to wait til the kid cools off to call him up"

Well you sure gave it your best shot!

Fricking moron

I called it as a flop between Furbush/Oliver, as the stats are almost identical (ERA, K, ER, etc.). I chose Charlie as he would be getting his first taste of MLB which I think would be a benefit right now, but if you can make a great argument for Andy I would switch my plan to him being called up.

I think that Oliver's stuff will translate better to the majors than Furby's. Most of the projections that I have seen have Oliver as a #3 ceiling guy, and Furby as a #5/LR guy. Mark actually argued at one point last winter that Furbush shouldn't be added to the 40 man, because his skillset is easily replaceable. I don't know if that has changed greatly with his good start. I did ask Mark who of the two would have more success if called up right now, and hopefully the question is answered on the podcast this week.

Good Lord, is Wil Rhymes his love child or something? Even a trained monkey would have recognized that Sizemore is the superior hitter, IMHO. A Loganesque hot streak does not a big league hitter make.

Leyland in this morning's paper; "this isn't really fair to Rhymes"

No kidding sherlock, should have sent him down two weeks ago.

More Leyland; " don't want to wait til the kid cools off to call him up"

Well you sure gave it your best shot!

Fricking moron

It's not fair to Rhymes because he should never have made the team out of ST.

I don't understand how anybody could have expected him to do anything but fall flat on his face.

I think that Oliver's stuff will translate better to the majors than Furby's. Most of the projections that I have seen have Oliver as a #3 ceiling guy, and Furby as a #5/LR guy. Mark actually argued at one point last winter that Furbush shouldn't be added to the 40 man, because his skillset is easily replaceable. I don't know if that has changed greatly with his good start. I did ask Mark who of the two would have more success if called up right now, and hopefully the question is answered on the podcast this week.

Maroth was another guy whose talent wasn't supposed to play at the majors, yet the Tigers got at least 3 useful seasons from MM. Furbush appears to have done better in every way as a minor leaguer than MM, so there would seem to be some value there regardless of how much better Oliver may be.

Maroth was another guy whose talent wasn't supposed to play at the majors, yet the Tigers got at least 3 useful seasons from MM. Furbush appears to have done better in every way as a minor leaguer than MM, so there would seem to be some value there regardless of how much better Oliver may be.

I am not arguing that he doesn't have value, just that I don't think that he will be able to fool major league hitter as well as he does AAA hitters. A taste of the show might be what he needs for his development though too. I hope he can someday contribute.

It's not fair to Rhymes because he should never have made the team out of ST.

I don't understand how anybody could have expected him to do anything but fall flat on his face.

Yep. Perhaps Leyland has valid concerns about Sizemore defensively, but Rhymes hasn't impressed me as either a hitter or a fielder, frankly.

Too little, too late. This team is toast.

You're absolutely right.

With only 133 games left this season and trailing the Indians & Royals there just isn't enough time to correct the problems........

Have some faith.......we might even be able to overcome the obvious Leyland issues that everyone here is tippy-toeing around and doesn't seem to want to talk about.:grin:

Edited by Freehan_1968

The Indians being the odds on favorite does not make the Tigers, White Sox and Twins toast.

Yep.

This "the sky is falling" crap on May 2nd makes no sense to me at all.

Either the Twins, Sox, or Tigers will win this division.....as predicted by pretty much every analyst in the United States....and, as bad as we have been......I'd say we're still in better position than the Twins or Sox.

The Twins are not hitting either and they have ZERO pitching.

The Sox aren't hitting great......they have some pitchng....and it will probably be a dogfight between us and them

The Indians pitching won't hold up for the long haul and neither will their hitting.

The Indians being the odds on favorite does not make the Tigers, White Sox and Twins toast.

Yes, I know. I was speaking out of frustration.

This wasn't a great team to begin with, and wasting a month with guys like rhymes and Jackson at the top of the order makes my blood boil. The team has played so poorly that a bad team like Cleveland is now the division favorite after only month. Of course, the twins and sox also tanked, so the tigers still have a sliver of hope. I'm pissed because a three team race is now a four team race.

The Indians pitching won't hold up for the long haul and neither will their hitting.

Obviously their hitting won't keep up at its current pace, but overall, their offense is above average.

Their team, as is, is better than people thought, and is very capable of playing .500 ball for the rest of the season.

Due to their hot start, the Indians will remain in the hunt for the division title all season.

Just Rhymes? Not enough. Jackson couldnt catch up to Colons 90 mph fastball last night and looks completely overmatched. The Tigers are destroying this guys confidence. Magglio is a groundout waiting to happen and I think his one out to the outfield was probably as far as he can hit a ball any longer. The pen is a mess. Inge cant hit and his defense is hurting this team on an almost nightly basis.

This was a move to sate fans and keep them in the seats. It will do little to improve our play without other moves being made.

Boy, ain't that the truth. As bad as Rhymes was, we still have Inge at 3rd, Magglio batting in the ever important 3 slot and Jackson leading off. This one move won't make much of a difference.

Unless Santiago plays second and Sizemore spends some time at third?

Just a thought.

Rhymes on Twitter last night drinking---

willrhymes Will Rhymes

i lied....can't sleep tonight, having a Jameson and playing some Rilo Kiley on the guitar....cheers Detroit. Thanks for the support

6 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

Will Rhymes

willrhymes Will Rhymes

294 career at bats. BA .282. OBP .342 slg .367. 24 walks, 28 strikeouts. I can sleep at night.

I knew there was going to be a jubilent feeling in here after I heard this news. I hope he helps. Anything to try and help this team....man they are looking bad.