mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

How did we have 3 6ths this year and 2 7ths? I don't think Houston's deal involved any picks this year. Just a 5th last year I thought. Thought Denver got Gronk only.

I think when the Smith-Gronkowski deal was first annouced, it was said to be player for player. But it came out later that we also gave DEN a 6th, and they gave us a 7th that we ultimately used on Culbreath.

Lions reap benefits by swapping 2011 picks last season

He acquired defensive end Lawrence Jackson from the Seahawks for a sixth-round pick, quarterback Shaun Hill from the 49ers for a seventh-rounder and got cornerback Alphonso Smith from the Broncos for fourth-string tight end Dan Gronkowski and a sixth-round choice. The Lions also got a seventh-rounder back in the Smith deal, a pick they used on offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath (after swapping places with Seattle as part of moving up to get Leshoure).

I was slightly off on the Houston thing. It was a 6th rounder in 2010, and a 7th this year. From the same article:

The Lions also acquired cornerback Chris Houston for a sixth-round choice in 2010 and a seventh-rounder this year. Houston, the Lions' most consistent defensive back last year, is a pending free agent (possibly restricted) who the Lions hope to re-sign.

I know the 7th we used on Shaun Hill, we got for flipping Kevin O'Connell. Beyond that, it's a little difficult keeping track of where all the picks came from.

But, even with the slight error I made about the Houston deal, I still think this year's draft picks turned into quite a haul for this team.

I don't really care about Roy Williams or the trade, but I'm curious how him having 37 catches for 530 yards last year really turned him into a legit #2.

I thought Nate Burleson kind of sucked as the Lions #2, and he had 55 for 625 last year

Well then i suppose the answer to that question is that your perspective is off? Burleson was a very good #2 for us last year I thought. He had those couple fluke fumbles, but that's hardly something that is a trend or something he historically does a lot. OTOH, Roy was paid to do more than Burleson by a good amount.

But, even with the slight error I made about the Houston deal, I still think this year's draft picks turned into quite a haul for this team.

No doubt and I didn't mean to criticize you or the Lions here. I was just curious and uninformed on how we got those picks. Makes more sense now. Gave up our 6th and 7th, had an extra 7th and got a 7th back from Denver. Gave up one 7th for Hill. Not sure how we got that extra 6th but who cares.

Mayhew's resume is just phenomenal. It'll be interesting to see how he handles his GM duties now, once the roster is more settled. He's been very creative and aggressive, but I expect him to slow down and be a little more Ted Thompson like now. Fill out depth, find gems late, build through the draft and not FA etc.

Mayhew's first draft landed us a stud starting TE,S and MLB for the long term most likely as well as our franchise QB if healthy. Even if not healthy, that wasn't forseeable at draft time and it was a smart pick. Hill,Follett and even Brown were solid picks later on.

His 2nd year landed us Suh, maybe our best player as well as Best and Spievey. Best looks like an exciting playmaker and Spievey seems to be developing now that he moved to S, but the jury is still out on them as well as Jason Fox. However, he landed us all those guys you mentioned, Hill,Houston,A.Smith,Sims plus Corey Williams and Scheffler, all quality starters for a 5th or lower draft pick. Some borderline pro bowlers like Corey,Houston if he hadn't got hurt and maybe Sims(2nd best OG in North last year probably) He landed Burleson and KVB as big money FAs and they look like very strong signing to me. He also completely rebuilt the special teams, adding the best or near best STer from many different teams. Wendling(pro bowl alternate),Logan(pro bowl alternate, big difference maker),Ekejuiba(our ST captain),Landon Johnson(effective STer,sometime starter fill in),Dante Wesley(eventually cut due to not being able to help at DB, but part of the group of quality ST depth Mayhew brought in) and I feel like I might have forgotten one or 2 guys. We had also brought back Follett who had been a big booost down the stretch to our STs at the end of the previous year.

This year's draft looks really good too, but we'll have to see if it lives up to its hype. I thought he was a surefire GM of the year last year with the resume I just posted. I've never seen such a fast rebuild of talent throughout a 53 man roster.

Grading drafts is ignorant if you do it right after the draft but it is fun. I'm sure if you asked every team how they drafted they would give themselves an A. I will say this. Anytime you get 3 starters out of a draft you've done well. And I think the Lions have 3 very possible starters out of this draft.

Maybe I should change the word starter to a player who gets extensive playing time. The term starter is a little overused.