mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

Didn't Mayhew make the Roy Williams trade in his interim period? I didn't like promoting Mayhew but after that move I've jumped on the bandwaggon. Even if Mayhew fails I'll more respect for him than Millen because it appears he at least has a plan and sticks to his principles. I'm not sure what Millen's plan or philosophy was.

Didn't Mayhew make the Roy Williams trade in his interim period? I didn't like promoting Mayhew but after that move I've jumped on the bandwaggon. Even if Mayhew fails I'll more respect for him than Millen because it appears he at least has a plan and sticks to his principles. I'm not sure what Millen's plan or philosophy was.

I'm not sure if Matt knew what it was either.

The Roy Williams trade was made shortly after Millen was let go. Based on Mayhew's wikipedia page (obligatory warning about accuracy), he was the interim GM at the time of the Williams trade, and that trade was his first move (that's a nice first move).

Actually, the Roy Williams trade has turned out closer than most Lions fans want to admit. Mayhew sort of blew it by wasting two of the picks on Derrick Williams and Aaron Brown.

Roy tapered off bigtime at the end of the year but he wasnt bad last year. I'm not sure people realize that he's scored 12 td's in two years in Dallas. He's capable of more but those aren't complete bust numbers. Pettigrew had a great year in 2010 and has much greater potential but had only scored 6 times on two years. I still give Grew the edge due to the difference in catches, yards, and future. Still, this trade has not been a complete landslide for the Lions despite the perception that it was a few years ago.

Actually, the Roy Williams trade has turned out closer than most Lions fans want to admit. Mayhew sort of blew it by wasting two of the picks on Derrick Williams and Aaron Brown.

Roy tapered off bigtime at the end of the year but he wasnt bad last year. I'm not sure people realize that he's scored 12 td's in two years in Dallas. He's capable of more but those aren't complete bust numbers. Pettigrew had a great year in 2010 and has much greater potential but had only scored 6 times on two years. I still give Grew the edge due to the difference in catches, yards, and future. Still, this trade has not been a complete landslide for the Lions despite the perception that it was a few years ago.

Really?

Roy's best season has been 596 yards in Dallas

Last year as a second year tight end Pettigrew had 722 yards

He also got more in his trade of Williams than Denver got for Brandon Marshall. I dont care if Derrick Williams and Aaron Brown do nothing in a Lions uniform, it was still a great trade because Pettigrew is quite a bit of a better player than Roy Williams

Not too mention Roy Williams was a free agent and he wasn't going to sign in Detroit. I guarantee Cowboy fans are not happy with the trade.

Really?

Roy's best season has been 596 yards in Dallas

Last year as a second year tight end Pettigrew had 722 yards

He also got more in his trade of Williams than Denver got for Brandon Marshall. I dont care if Derrick Williams and Aaron Brown do nothing in a Lions uniform, it was still a great trade because Pettigrew is quite a bit of a better player than Roy Williams

The Marshall deal had many more factors based on his off field issues and amount of money he wanted in an extension. Denver had to take less than what just the on field production should warrant.

I never said the Lions didnt win the deal but instead it's closer than the public perception.

The Marshall deal had many more factors based on his off field issues and amount of money he wanted in an extension. Denver had to take less than what just the on field production should warrant.

I never said the Lions didnt win the deal but instead it's closer than the public perception.

As Cecil said, Roy was going to be a Free Agent and Dallas had to sign him to an extension after the trade. He got a 5 year extension after the trade was made.

That trade was a slam dunk for the Lions, traded an overrated WR who was an upcoming FA who likely would not have re-signed for above market value in terms of what they got and used one of the picks to get a player who is clearly better than the guy they traded.

When I look at what Millen got for Dre Bly and what Mayhew got for Roy Williams, Mayhew clearly won that battle.

Let's not forget that Jim Schwartz is now involved and has a lot of influence over personnel decisions. That's a huge upgrade in brain power compared to the Millen regime (Morhninwheg, Mariucci, Marinelli). Schwartz is infinitely superior to any of those guys in evaluating talent, and Mayhew probably does a good job in letting him voice input. In contrast, Millen was most likely hard-headed and did not value the opinions of others.

Let's not forget that Jim Schwartz is now involved and has a lot of influence over personnel decisions. That's a huge upgrade in brain power compared to the Millen regime (Morhninwheg, Mariucci, Marinelli). Schwartz is infinitely superior to any of those guys in evaluating talent, and Mayhew probably does a good job in letting him voice input. In contrast, Millen was most likely hard-headed and did not value the opinions of others.

I have heard the exact opposite.

Millen does not come across at all as being someone who would listen to input from others. Hell he gets mad on the air when other analyst don't agree with him.

I can't agree. Sure, Brown and Williams are pretty unimpactful, but Pettigrew is IMO a better player than Roy at a more important position. Especially for us. Having a 2 way TE was pretty important towards buildilng this team IMO and we were in no position to extend Roy for big dollars whatsoever. It would have been a poor use of long term cap space considering the stage of building we were in, how much Calvin makes etc. I'm not saying Dallas got ripped off(though they could have had Oher or Matthews there), but it was a very smart deal for us. Draft picks beyond round particularly, fail at a pretty high rate. The more you compile, the more successes you'll have overall most likely. so even though our 2 later picks failed from that trade, I'd rather have had them than not.

To me who you drafted with the picks is independent from the trade. The trade was Williams for the picks. To get a 1st, 3rd and 5th for a player who was going to sign there in the off season anyways was a huge win.

To me who you drafted with the picks is independent from the trade. The trade was Williams for the picks. To get a 1st, 3rd and 5th for a player who was going to sign there in the off season anyways was a huge win.

I think you mean 'wasn't' in that last sentence, but I agree with your premise. In any event, the trade was clearly a win.

I personally rate how those picks were used as part of how I evaluate that draft, not the trade itself.

As an analogy, I think the Pistons trading Billups for Iverson to free up cap space was a reasonable thing to do at the time. The fact they squandered that cap space in signing Gordon and Villanueva were separate decisions from the trade, and doesn't impact how I view the trade or its' rationale.

Just how I look at it.

I think you mean 'wasn't' in that last sentence, but I agree with your premise. In any event, the trade was clearly a win.

I personally rate how those picks were used as part of how I evaluate that draft, not the trade itself.

As an analogy, I think the Pistons trading Billups for Iverson to free up cap space was a reasonable thing to do at the time. The fact they squandered that cap space in signing Gordon and Villanueva were separate decisions from the trade, and doesn't impact how I view the trade or its' rationale.

Just how I look at it.

I did mean was as in Roy was probably going to sign with Dallas that offseason. IIRC it was apparent that year Roy wanted to play in Texas.

I also liked the Billups trade. I do not like how the freed up cap space was used.

I'm shocked there's so many B's and even C's, D and an F. We got 2 first round talents at great value and added a dynamic WR. Don't look at Titus' 40 time. (which I think was in the low 40's...) Just look at the highlights and you can see he has game breaking speed.

You're not answering the question...you didn't think Mayhew did a fantastic job with the trade? Because getting that value for a WR that had one foot out the door may be his most impressive act to this day.

I did mean was as in Roy was probably going to sign with Dallas that offseason. IIRC it was apparent that year Roy wanted to play in Texas.

Ahhh...I mis-read your post initially. I thought you were talking about re-signing in Detroit as opposed to signing in Dallas.

1u-I0D9ReqI

I never said it was a bad trade and I never said that Dallas got the better of the Lions. I actually said the Lions got the best of the deal twice.

The point was when this trade happened in October 2008 everyone and their grandmother (my grandma & I included) thought the Lions completely fleeced the Cowboys. It only got worse as Roy preceded to completely **** the bed in those last 10 games with the Boys. By the end of 08, the trade had become a thing of legend with Jerry getting prison raped by Mayhew.

Flash forward two seasons and the Lions still get the better of this trade but the combination of Roy playing more in line with an average #2 WR and the two wasted Lion draft picks and it's not the best trade in the history of man. The point in the most simplest terms possible for the forum, Pettigrew better than Roy, Lions win the deal, but no Jones anal bleeding.

And one other thing, the people that argued Roy was leaving at the end of the year and they had to get something for him are forgetful. Roy was traded when the Lions were 0-5 and we all know how the last 11 games turned out. It's not far-fetched to believe the Lions could've easily won one of those close games had they had one more playmaker, even if was just a decoy for CJ. For the record, even had they let Roy go it wouldn't have been for absolutely nothing. They would've gotten potentially as high as a late 3rd round compensatory pick for him.

Oh yeah, and one other, other thing, the Marshall trade is not a fair comp due to his many off field issues and that it happened a week before the draft and not in the season. You've got to pay more for a player during the season than you do in the spring. It's like that in in every sport and you've also got to pay more if you're just trading prospects for someone's veteran player. Marshall also needed a change of scenery and an extension both of which the Broncos couldn't provide.

I think I was detailed enough and really don't want to keep arguing about a trade that happened two and a half years ago but I know that's probably not going to happen.

Edited by Hongbit

I like your descriptive adjectives Hong, it's always fun to fit "anal bleeding" into any converstion lol...as far as the argument goes, you stated you didn't like many of his moves as interim in 2008, I just felt that he arguably made his best move of his GM career in 2008 with the Williams trade. Besides drafting Suh of course, which I don't think even Millen could've screwed up.

I'm not sure if someone pointed it out or not, but if you factor in the trades he made for the picks we lost this year, it was a quite impressive draft.

1. Fairley

2. Young

2. Leshoure

4. Sims

5. Houge

6. Houston

7. Culbreath

We locked in Sims, hopefully we can retain Houston and get him a nice deal for 4 or 5 years under $6 million a year

I'm not sure if someone pointed it out or not, but if you factor in the trades he made for the picks we lost this year, it was a quite impressive draft.

1. Fairley

2. Young

2. Leshoure

4. Sims

5. Houge

6. Houston

7. Culbreath

We locked in Sims, hopefully we can retain Houston and get him a nice deal for 4 or 5 years under $6 million a year

Actually, it's MUCH MUCH better than that. You're one year off on Rob Sims. We traded Robert Henderson and two picks for Sims, but the picks were a 5th and 7th in the 2010 draft. This year's actually breaks down like this:

1. Fairley

2. Young

2. Leshoure (moved up from 3rd and traded 4th rounder to get him)

5. Houge

6. Houston (plus a 7th rounder... STARTER)

6. LoJack (backup, but still had 6 sacks)

6. Alphonso Smith (subtract Gronkowski, who had no place on our roster anyway... STARTER with 5 picks)

7. Shaun Hill (won 3 games as a backup)

7. Culbreath

Is there a higher grade than A+?

Edited by LineCrosser

How did we have 3 6ths this year and 2 7ths? I don't think Houston's deal involved any picks this year. Just a 5th last year I thought. Thought Denver got Gronk only.

Actually, it's MUCH MUCH better than that. You're one year off on Rob Sims. We traded Robert Henderson and two picks for Sims, but the picks were a 5th and 7th in the 2010 draft. This year's actually breaks down like this:

1. Fairley

2. Young

2. Leshoure (moved up from 3rd and traded 4th rounder to get him)

5. Houge

6. Houston (plus a 7th rounder... STARTER)

6. LoJack (backup, but still had 6 sacks)

6. Alphonso Smith (subtract Gronkowski, who had no place on our roster anyway... STARTER with 5 picks)

7. Shaun Hill (won 3 games as a backup)

7. Culbreath

Is there a higher grade than A+?

In this case, being proved wrong makes me happy