mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

From JohnnyMac's post:

This is smart drafting and trading. Detroit traded late round picks for solid players and traded up to get a solid running back. The Lion's top three picks will make huge contributions on the field this season.

I am pretty sure Williams and Sims were traded for mid round picks last year as well. I am not sure if this is just a string of good fortune or will become a trend but it has gone a long ways towards solidifying the two deep.

When the Vikings were on the clock, I was a little bit scared they were going to draft Fairley or Quinn.

Exactly. Or imagine Fairley coming up the middle and Peppers charging around the end, licking his chops at the thought of a second helping of Lion-shoulder.

I love Mayhew's plan of trading 5-7 round picks for useful players.

Agreed...It's a relatively low cost way to address immediate needs, accomplishing with late picks what you would normally do strictly through FA

I feel like I read posts similar to this in 2005, just with different names.

Perhaps...but I'm more optimistic with Mayhew at the helm than Millen. Mayhew drafted more starters in is first year than Millen did in his first three or four...:happy:

Just watching the Draft wrap-up special from earlier now on my DVR. Mel Kiper's best pick of the whole draft? Detroit Lions - Mikel Leshoure.

He thinks that pick will push the Lions into the playoffs. I know Mel Kiper is kind of goofy, but those are encouraging words to hear.

I'll give it a B. The Fairly pick could end up being a pretty sweet situation for the Lions if it all pans out.

I'm not overly thrilled that we didn't address the back seven on defense early on, but that said I haven't gone back and looked at what the Lions could've or couldn't have done either at the time with those picks. Not saying this team couldn't use another quality WR or RB, but it's tough to think that someone at those spots couldn't have made sense in with the back seven on defense, especially if they are moving up with picks.

And those are the only three premier picks. So, off of very little information, it's a B-. Although, I realize that I my opinion weighs very little merit at this time because I have done so little research. It's nice to hear others saying nice things about their picks.

Grading draft picks is silly right now IMO although I get why people want to give it a grade. We have NO IDEA if it is a good draft or not until 2 years down the line.

Based soley on the players themselves and what the 'experts' are saying about how well they played in college and how they think they will transition to the NFL I gave the draft an A.

Based on the talent that was there in the positions of need for the Lions they decided to pick for talent and not necessarily what they 'needed'. They felt like they could get the same quality in free agency in those other positions. There is no good RB available in free agency that will give us what our pick will give us. Same with the WR.

We go get a LB and a corner in free agency and Stafford and the rest of the team stay healthy and I feel real good about our chances next year.

Based on the talent that was there in the positions of need for the Lions they decided to pick for talent and not necessarily what they 'needed'.

I think the Lions definitely had needs at the third WR spot (especially one who can stretch the field and take a safety away from CJ) and a change of pace/compliment back to Best. Not only did they get talent, but they filled two needs with guys who can come in and start right away.

I think the Lions definitely had needs at the third WR spot (especially one who can stretch the field and take a safety away from CJ) and a change of pace/compliment back to Best. Not only did they get talent, but they filled two needs with guys who can come in and start right away.

Best is a change of pace/complimentary back. LeShoure will be the lead ball carrier (eventually).

I love Best as a football player and what he can do. He was a fantastic pick. But he isn't a 20 carry a game RB. Sub 200 pounders can't get the ball 20 times a game and play very long, we already saw a bit of that last year.

He gets 10 carries or so and a 4-8 receptions a game. Keep him around 15 touches with minimal pass pro. He's a Westbrook/Bush type of player that you move around, use as a decoy and use to create matchups. He averaged an awful 3.2 ypc last year because he was askd to do more than he can.

That's why I find it comical that people don't think RB is a "need." Kevin Smith can't play in the NFL, he just doesn't have the speed (or, if he's going to be slow, the size). Maurice Morris is 31 years old this season and entering his 9th year. I like his game, but he can't be counted on for more than 100 carries a season.

Ideally you want LeShoure to be 220-250 carries, Best around 125-150 (with 40-50 receptions) and Morris chipping in 75 or so carries. End up around 450 carries for the team (individual contributions will vary based on injuries, obviously).

Last year we were 23rd in Rush attempts at 404 and 23rd in YPG (a smidge over 100). Unlike Green Bay and Indy who were fine despite poor rushing games, we don't have a Superstar QB.

If we don't draft LeShoure, who does that leave getting those carries?

This team was not a good CB, and a good LB away from being a Super Bowl contender...

And seriously, no CB helps the total defense, but like I have said, a good DL will effect the entire defense.

QBs before last year had all day to throw and dance in the pocket, to expose our weak corners...

They won't have that much time now ..... the beasts are coming ..... and that'll help the secondary.

You should draft best available or you end up with Jordan Dizon in the second round where most of the league had a fifth round grade on.

Why does it have to be so black and white? It's not like it's a multiple choice question: a) BPA or b) three round over draft who will bust.

BPA is subjective and not an exact science. You can have a BPA strategy with positional leanings and do just fine. Because when it comes down to it, no one know who the BPA was until well after the fact and needs have to be addressed at some point. And it's not always as easy as saying that needs shoudl be filled via FA, because there's not always quality players available to fill those positions.

I don't mind a BPA philosophy, but with anything, it can be taken too much to the extreme.

I give the Lions credit, this looks like a very nice draft. Certainly one of the best drafts this year. B+ from me.

Mayhew has done a lot to discredit the notion that being Millen's subordinate -> he is likely to fail.

Obviously there is a lot of work left to be done, and he has obviously made mistakes, but Mayhew has done a better job thus far than I think most here expected, IMO.

Mayhew has done a lot to discredit the notion that being Millen's subordinate -> he is likely to fail.

Obviously there is a lot of work left to be done, and he has obviously made mistakes, but Mayhew has done a better job thus far than I think most here expected, IMO.

I heard him in an interview say that if you are going for home runs every time, you'll end up like Dave Kingman. He said he would rather get on base with all his picks, and I think he did a good job of that.

GMjr.com - The Best Guide to the NFL Draft!

DETROIT LIONS: GRADE: A+

For the Lions, Christmas morning came early this year. For the #1 prospect of several teams draft boards to slip down all the way to #13 is about as lucky as winning the lottery twice in a single lifetime! In yet another example of a team allowing the draft to come to them, the Lions stood-pat & selected Fairley to team with Suh to become the envy of all 43 defensive coordinators & the nightmare for all offensive line coaches in the league. Then, they felt compelled to trad-up to get Leshoure, who was arguably the best prospect at his position in this draft. He will likely start with last year’s first round pick Javvid Best playing more of a 3rd down role. Titus Young solves the problem with their 3rd WR position & gives them some return value for special teams as well. They also selected a potential starter at OLB in Hogue in the 5th round. Lastly, they took a sleeper in the 7th round, who may develop into a starter at either LT or RT, although not for a couple years. For having made only five picks, they had the best quality draft in the entire NFC.

NFC Draft Grades | National Football Post

Detroit Lions

In my mind the draft couldn’t have gone any better for the Lions. Getting a stud like DT Nick Fairley to pair with Ndamukong Suh inside could ultimately be downright devastating for opposing offenses in the NFC North. They also added two potential playmakers on offense in RB Mikel Leshoure and WR Titus Young all while adding a pair of high upside prospects late.

Grade: A++

The notion was he's the Lions GM - > he is likely to fail. Being Millen's subordinate just added the possibility that he'd do it in a truly spectacular fashion.

I felt that he didn't deserve the opportunity and the only had the job because the owner was stupid and cheap. I didn't like many of his moves in the interim period in 2008 and his first FA period in 2009. Ever since that 2009 draft, he's been excellent and I must give him credit for turning around the fortunes of this team.

Now Lewand is another story...

The notion was he's the Lions GM - > he is likely to fail. Being Millen's subordinate just added the possibility that he'd do it in a truly spectacular fashion.

As I recall, there was no shortage of posters that wanted Mayhew flushed out with Millen, as Martin was viewed as being at least somewhat culpable for Matt's horrible regime and likely to be incompetent.

I felt that he didn't deserve the opportunity and the only had the job because the owner was stupid and cheap. I didn't like many of his moves in the interim period in 2008 and his first FA period in 2009. Ever since that 2009 draft, he's been excellent and I must give him credit for turning around the fortunes of this team.

So is it fair to say you largely agree with what I wrote?

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

You didn't like the RW trade?

Not having the foggiest idea how any players ranked on the Lions draft board, I was kinda hoping it would be CB Ras-I Dowling who somehow fell to us, but those pesky Pats stepped in and ruined it at the top of Round 2. :devious: Hell, I had reason to believe he might be there for us all the way down in Round 3! He might not have been an immediate starter since there are exploitable holes in his game, but his size at the position intrigues. As for the highly touted CB Brandon Harris out of Miami, I have to believe it was his comparatively diminutive size which led him to fall as far as he did.

I would've had no qualm had the Lions taken Leshoure at #44 and hung on to their third and fourth-rounders...Titus Young's "stick of dynamite" or no. I'm always skeptical of WRs. Besides, I figured RB to be a bigger need, even bigger than LB. As Zack "The Pain Train" Follett once sagely opined, any linebacker can play behind that line.

I'll give the Lions a solid B overall. The top three picks should contribute immediately from scrimmage, which is what you want to see.

They needed that for sure, but it was not a pressing need like other positions. You can always upgrade positions and call it a need, but they had more pressing needs elsewhere. FTR: I like the draft and am not dogging the picks at all.

They needed that for sure, but it was not a pressing need like other positions. You can always upgrade positions and call it a need, but they had more pressing needs elsewhere. FTR: I like the draft and am not dogging the picks at all.

Anything that keeps Bryant Johnson off the field is considered a pressing need to me!

I haven't seen anyone say we had anything other than a top 5 draft. We landed 3 guys who are high impact types. You will know they are all on the team, no question about it.

Nobody ever likes RB picks, but bottom line is, without drafting a Leshoure type, we would have been pretty weak in the run game. Depending on Best and Best alone to provide a running game would have been a big problem. We struggled to establish a power run game last year to a large degree(and in most every year since James Stewart). Leshoure will make our line look a lot better than guys like Best make it look.

I love the Titus Young pick myself. I thought big play WR was arguably our biggest need. Burleson has a lot of issues staying healthy, Williams and Johnson suck and Calvin and Stafford deserve the help with the money we have invested in them.

A big key to our draft is, who do we compete against. The Packers are competiton #1 right now and we need the firepower to be able to compete with them. We also need to be able to get pressure on Rodgers to stop him, as no coverage will hold him down for long IMO. Also with Minny and Chicago having weak OLs and QB play right now I think our firepower offensively and our DL talent will help us dominate them. JMO.