mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

Scored it a B. Closer to a B+/A- grade, but those weren't options. I still believe "C" is average and have no issue giving teams failing grades, so that means I scored them as having a good to very good draft.

I can't score the draft an "A" with only 5 selections, and only 3 in the first 4 rounds. Assuming Mayhew could maintain his roughy 60% "hit" rate on draft picks, it means we only pulled 3 quality players from this draft. Volume matters.

I'm also not a huge fan of drafting RB's AT ALL, too risky and they have the shortest careers. Lots of starting RB's were UDFA and throw-away picks (Round 6, 7). To me, the value isn't there.

They also didn't address need. I don't believe in drafting for need, I'm a BPA guy, but if you can make a move to fill a need with BPA that gets some bonus points. (IE, if they would have snagged Peterson).

A, we had the best draft in the entire league. The quality of picks are better than quantity.

Best is still the starter. Leshoure is the changeup type who they will use depending on the matchup.

It might end up being the other way around.

Solid B for the draft.

Not sure what the CBA will be when we finally get a deal in place but based on the preliminary lists my signings would be 1. Stephen Tulloch LB Tenn 2. Richard Marshall cb Carolina 3. David Bass G/C San Fran

Tulloch will depend a great deal on the CBA, it looks like Rudd will be available regardless...I wouldn't mind him being the MLB, switch Levy to OLB. Pick up a corner and a safety and we could be all set.

Which is better than being Fairly hard.

"That's what she said!"

- M. Scott

This draft/offseason will be an absolute A to A+ if they can pick up a few UDFA (Herzlich from BC, Mims from Virginia Union, and Bellore from CMU). And then pick up one or two main pieces in FA, which based on the CBA could be fairly stacked...

Ike Taylor (CB)

Barrett Rudd (LB)

Brent Grimes (CB)

Stephen Tulloch (LB)

Antonio Cromartie (CB)

Tamba Hali (DE/LB)

Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)

If we could pick up any or possibly even two of these guys we would be looking very good on defense.

I don't think Mayhew and Schwartz are ignorant to the fact that our secondary is weak, but lucky for us there is a lot of potential at those positions in the free agent class, if we could pick up a few of them I won't blame them at all for not addressing their needs during the draft.

Don't forget Johnathon Joseph the Cinci CB

- He's the big Kahuna as far as I'm concerned.

If I was a Vikings fan I would not be optimistic. In fact, my relatives in Minnesota are very unhappy with their draft.

There are definitely exceptions. Some teams just make such stupid picks that you can't defend them. But I would venture at guess that a lot more Vikings fans think Ponder was a good pick than Lion's, Packers, or Bears fans.

Well National people (not Lions fans) love the draft

Espn during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFLN during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFL.com fan grades - Lions only team with an A

Mel Kipers post draft grades on ESPN.com - Lions had his highest grade

I think Fairley was the best pick, because he was the best player still on the board (I think he is CLEARLY better player than Quinn and Amukamara)

The national media loves the Best Player Available theory. That is why the Lions grade at well in the draft year after year.

If I thought Fairley was clearly the best player still on the board, I would agree he was the best pick. I'm just not so sure that Fairley AND Quinn were by far the two best players available and Quinn would have filled more of a need IMO. I love Fairley as a player but I still think Quinn may have been the better pick.

The national media loves the Best Player Available theory. That is why the Lions grade at well in the draft year after year.

If I thought Fairley was clearly the best player still on the board, I would agree he was the best pick. I'm just not so sure that Fairley AND Quinn were by far the two best players available and Quinn would have filled more of a need IMO. I love Fairley as a player but I still think Quinn may have been the better pick.

They shouldn't be filling holes in the draft, they can do that with free agents. They should be using it to build a solid base of talented players. I think that's what they're doing. I have no problem with the Fairly pick, he was the best player on the board, IMO. I don't have a problem with Young or LeShoure, but I don't like trading away so much to get up to take Leshoure. The later round picks were good for what they were - developmental guys with upside but issues. That's what you do with late round picks.

The Lions are firmly ensconsed in the second place in the NFC North right now barring any injury to Stafford.

If they add Asomaugh, watch out.

They shouldn't be filling holes in the draft, they can do that with free agents. They should be using it to build a solid base of talented players. I think that's what they're doing. I have no problem with the Fairly pick, he was the best player on the board, IMO. I don't have a problem with Young or LeShoure, but I don't like trading away so much to get up to take Leshoure. The later round picks were good for what they were - developmental guys with upside but issues. That's what you do with late round picks.

The Lions are firmly ensconsed in the second place in the NFC North right now barring any injury to Stafford.

If they add Asomaugh, watch out.

Just speaking on the 13th pick:

It did not have to be either/or. The Lions could have gotten arguably the BPA and filled more of a need in my mind. I guess it comes down to how you value Fairley vs. Quinn. I think Quinn is getting overlooked a bit because he did not play last year. But IMO, he is as talented as Fairley. In addition, I have not read about any character concerns with Quinn that I have with Fairley. If there is a difference in talent between those two players, it is very, very, minimal.

I am fairly certain Lion's fans would think Quinn or Amakumara was the best selection if that had actually been the pick.

Not if we'd passed on a FAR superior talent in Fairley to pick one of them.

Exactly. Fans in general (not just Lion's fans) tend to be very optimistic about the draft and the players that were selected by their favorite team. I am fairly certain Lion's fans would think Quinn or Amakumara was the best selection if that had actually been the pick.

In regards to this comment, this board gave an overwhelming grade of B or lower to the draft and everyone else in America is giving the Lions an A; many are calling the Lions draft the best in the NFL.

So if anything, I think others like the Lions draft even more than Lion's fans.

Just speaking on the 13th pick:

It did not have to be either/or. The Lions could have gotten arguably the BPA and filled more of a need in my mind. I guess it comes down to how you value Fairley vs. Quinn. I think Quinn is getting overlooked a bit because he did not play last year. But IMO, he is as talented as Fairley. In addition, I have not read about any character concerns with Quinn that I have with Fairley. If there is a difference in talent between those two players, it is very, very, minimal.

I think it's fair to take into account that Quinn didn't play last year (though I don't know if that was an issue for the Lions). Not playing for a year when your game is developmental (college player as opposed to an NFL vet) is a big deal. He can work out all he wants in that time, get as ripped and fast as possible, but it's just not the same as showing it on the field, which Fairley did better than any player in the country.

And I understand that Fairley is not the off-field darling that Suh is, but his "character concerns" are that he plays so hard on the field, that he gets too aggressive, to the point of personal fouls (and once or twice, playing "dirty", with cheap shots). That's not all that different than Suh on the field. Remember Suh nearly ripping Delhomme's head off his shoulders?

It's not like Fairley is Jimmy Smith. I want a DT with a mean streak.

The Lions gave up a 4th round pick to get Leshoure. They didn't give up a lot. Give me a good player over two mediocre, development player. The best you can hope for in the 4th round is a Leshoure type player. I guess it sounds better if you can say, "see I drafted this guy in the 4th round"

In regards to this comment, this board gave an overwhelming grade of B or lower to the draft and everyone else in America is giving the Lions an A; many are calling the Lions draft the best in the NFL.

So if anything, I think others like the Lions draft even more than Lion's fans.

Which makes no sense to me because when you read the comments, the overwhelming sentiment is that Fairley was the best pick at 13, trading up to get Leshoure was a great move, and grabbing Titus Young in the second round was a solid pick. So either people are grading different than they are writing or the people who write comments make up a good chunk of the 19 people who gave the Lions an A.

Which makes no sense to me because when you read the comments, the overwhelming sentiment is that Fairley was the best pick at 13, trading up to get Leshoure was a great move, and grabbing Titus Young in the second round was a solid pick. So either people are grading different than they are writing or the people who write comments make up a good chunk of the 19 people who gave the Lions an A.

If you click view poll results, you can see who voted what. :wink:

I think it's fair to take into account that Quinn didn't play last year (though I don't know if that was an issue for the Lions). Not playing for a year when your game is developmental (college player as opposed to an NFL vet) is a big deal. He can work out all he wants in that time, get as ripped and fast as possible, but it's just not the same as showing it on the field, which Fairley did better than any player in the country.

And I understand that Fairley is not the off-field darling that Suh is, but his "character concerns" are that he plays so hard on the field, that he gets too aggressive, to the point of personal fouls (and once or twice, playing "dirty", with cheap shots). That's not all that different than Suh on the field. Remember Suh nearly ripping Delhomme's head off his shoulders?

It's not like Fairley is Jimmy Smith. I want a DT with a mean streak.

I agree it is fair to knock down Quinn a bit because he did not play. It is just does not knock him down enough in my mind to select Fairley ahead of him.

As far as the character concerns, I am more worried about the reports of him showing up late or not showing up at all to pre-draft meetings. The on field nastiness is a good trait to have but both Suh and Fairley have to find a way to not turn that into penalties because those killed the Lions last year. This is not the NFL of 10 years ago and the officials will protect the quarterbacks. I don't agree with it but that's the way it is.

Just for the record, I love Fairley's talent. I just also love Quinn's. If I were starting a team, I would probably take Fairley because I think defensive tackles are a little more valuable than ends. But for the Lions, I like Quinn a little more because we have Suh and Williams inside.

Edited by Hart

I'm tired of hearing character issues. All three of our top picks have "character issues" This appears to be a buzz phrase like grit in baseball.

I'm tired of hearing character issues. All three of our top picks have "character issues" This appears to be a buzz phrase like grit in baseball.

I would like to know what character issues Young has. Somebody said he has been suspended in the past but I never heard why.

If we were the Patriots, I would blow these issues off as well. But considering we are the Lions, I think it is important we draft top talent that is also hard working and strong off the field to build the Lions into a top notch franchise. We have had too many picks in the past come back to bite us because of these so called "character issues."

(myself included) kind of held off because of the lack of picks, but this into account when judging this draft

2011 NFL Draft Grades For All Of The Detroit Lions' Picks, Acquisitions - Pride Of Detroit

* Round 1 - No. 13 - DT Nick Fairley (Auburn)

* Round 2 - No. 44 - WR Titus Young (Boise State)

* Round 2 - No. 57 - RB Mikel Leshoure (Illinois)

* Round 5 - No. 157 - LB Doug Hogue (Syracuse)

* Round 6 - No. 173 - DE Lawrence Jackson (from Seattle)

* Round 6 - No. 186 (and TE Dan Gronkowski) - CB Alphonso Smith (from Denver)

* Round 7 - No. 209 - OT Johnny Culbreath (South Carolina State)

* Round 7 - No. 210 (and a sixth-round pick in 2010) - CB Chris Houston (from Atlanta)

* Round 7 - No. 231 - QB Shaun Hill (from San Francisco) (Side note: Detroit essentially acquired Hill for Kevin O'Connell, who spent all of five days on the roster. That's just awesome.)

When you take all of this into account, now what grade do you give the Lions for the 2011 NFL Draft? I think you can guess what I gave them.

Fairley: I would give them a B for this pick simply because I think Quinn would have been the better pick. I will say that based on the stuff I have read since day 1, the Lions were smart to take Fairley over Amakumara.

Titus Young: I give them an A for this pick. They fill a need with a high character player who has a lot of upside and was good value where they got him.

LeShoure: C+ I am not as enamored with LeShoure as some others. Drafting LeShoure moves Best into strictly a third down role and I think it was too early to give up on him as our primary back. LeShoure does have great measurables and value wise, it was a solid pick.

Titus Young high character? He was off some people's boards because of off the field options.

I'm fine with the draft, however I would have rather they took LeShoure at 44, and kept their other picks. Young might have still been there in the 3rd.

Pettigrew has more value than Oher...yes we also have Sheffler, but you really need to have two TE's. We have them. We now have a power RB to go with the speed guy we had. We now have three WR's that can stretch the field. We are going to be a ***** to scheme against.

People are pointing to the DL as our strength, but not since the mid 90's when we had the Moore, Perriman and Morton trio paired with David Sloan at TE and Barry at RB have we had this kind of firepower on offense.

This is an example of good drafting vs. bad drafting strategies.

The LIONS took Pettigrew as BPA, rather then drafting a lesser player in Oher. Pettigrew is a much better TE, then Oher is a RT. The Lions made the right choice.

From JohnnyMac's post:

* Round 1 - No. 13 - DT Nick Fairley (Auburn)

* Round 2 - No. 44 - WR Titus Young (Boise State)

* Round 2 - No. 57 - RB Mikel Leshoure (Illinois)

* Round 5 - No. 157 - LB Doug Hogue (Syracuse)

* Round 6 - No. 173 - DE Lawrence Jackson (from Seattle)

* Round 6 - No. 186 (and TE Dan Gronkowski) - CB Alphonso Smith (from Denver)

* Round 7 - No. 209 - OT Johnny Culbreath (South Carolina State)

* Round 7 - No. 210 (and a sixth-round pick in 2010) - CB Chris Houston (from Atlanta)

* Round 7 - No. 231 - QB Shaun Hill (from San Francisco) (Side note: Detroit essentially acquired Hill for Kevin O'Connell, who spent all of five days on the roster. That's just awesome.)

This is smart drafting and trading. Detroit traded late round picks for solid players and traded up to get a solid running back. The Lion's top three picks will make huge contributions on the field this season.

IMHO, Fairley's off the field problems will not be a problem in Detroit. KVB is the D-Line's veteran leader and he will keep him in line. I don't think Fairley would want to answer to KVB and Suh.

And I'm just going to say it... If Fairley is going to be delivering questionable hits, I'd sure as hell rather they be to opposing QBs than Stafford.

And I'm just going to say it... If Fairley is going to be delivering questionable hits, I'd sure as hell rather they be to opposing QBs than Stafford.

When the Vikings were on the clock, I was a little bit scared they were going to draft Fairley or Quinn.