mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

Fairley is a dirty player (check youtube) with motivation and character issues and yeah, plenty of talent but there's a reason he fell. Combine the red flags with failing to address an area of need and it looks questionable at best. If everything goes right that d-line is a real force, but I think he'll disappoint. There were better fits available and with less risk.

Titus Young keeps getting compared to D. Jackson but afaik he ran a 4.4 forty as opposed to Jackson's 4.29, so I don't really get the comparison, he's not in the same class. Other than he's small I guess.

Leshoure, no complaints, best pick of the draft. Lions need a complementary back for Best and Leshoure should be able to step into that role.

Late round picks: At least they addressed need positions but these will be projects so who knows.

Since I don't like the Fairley pick and they mostly failed to address need (are they planning to cover anyone with that secondary?), I'll give it a D+.

Well you also called someone a troll for having Ponder a top 12 pick and having 5 qbs top 12 because ponder wouldnt go first round and at most 3 would be top 12.....

Michael Oher was second in the rookie of the year voting and didn't allow a single sack in his first playoffs. Until Pettigrew does something spectacular throughout an entire season or this team actually produces a winning record with not only Pettigrew looking good, but our starters at Left and Right Tackle I will continue believing what I believe about passing over Michael Oher.

Second in rookie of the year means nothing and not allowing a sack in a game? That is what he is paid to do. We have Tackles that do not allow a sack in a game, playoff or other. Wait for him to settle into his role and make an informed opinion. I will do the same. As of now, the Ravens have decided Oher is not good enough to play left tackle and have moved him to the right side.

As far as playoffs? I think the Ravens are in the playoffs regardless if Oher is on the team or not. So I am not sure what your point is here. Obviously the Ravens are a playoff team and have many parts in place already, the Lions do not. The Lions continue to construct what they hope will be a future playoff bound team. The Lions will have to address the ofensive line at some point. But if they take Oher instead of Petigrew, we might still be saying the Lions need to address the offensive line AND TE.

At this stage of the game, I don't think anyone would suggest that we need to put player resources at the TE position. It is now solid and will be for a number of years.

My conclusion is that Pettigrew was the right choice at the time and has proven so far that he was the right choice. Pettigrew, in my opinion will soon become a Pro Bowl TE, maybe as soon as next year.

ESPN's position power rankings has Pettigrew as a top 10 TE in the NFL. I know, he isn't the great Micheal Oher. You have to look at the source of these claims. He said the Lions should blow games last year so they could move up in the draft to draft Prince Amukemera.

I don't think Prince was ever an option at 13 for them. They want physical corners back there so when Dowling and Williams were off the board they went with Young. Bruce Carter is coming off a torn ACL not sure how productive he will be this year.

The more I study this draft the more I think the Lions deserve major props for the players they landed. They didn't reach and filled to holes that they would have needed to be filled via free agency.

Well you also called someone a troll for having Ponder a top 12 pick and having 5 qbs top 12 because ponder wouldnt go first round and at most 3 would be top 12.....

Gosselin was a lot closer than I expected and I take back what I said about him being a troll. If anyone was trolling the draft it was the Vikings, but if they don't go crazy picking Ponder at 12 he may not have gone in the first round. So credit where it's due, Gosselin wasn't completely FOS. Still wrong about Dalton though, Gosselin had him in the top 12 and he fell to the second round. But that's the benefit of the doubt pundits get from making a provocative mock draft. People remember where they're right (Ponder) and conveniently ignore where they're wrong (Dalton), because with a mock draft like that, it's not expected to be accurate but it really catches everyone's attention when some predictions happen to be right. That's why we've all heard of Nostradamus, he threw a lot of s**t at the wall and some of it (with a favorable interpretation) happened to stick.

This draft/offseason will be an absolute A to A+ if they can pick up a few UDFA (Herzlich from BC, Mims from Virginia Union, and Bellore from CMU). And then pick up one or two main pieces in FA, which based on the CBA could be fairly stacked...

Ike Taylor (CB)

Barrett Rudd (LB)

Brent Grimes (CB)

Stephen Tulloch (LB)

Antonio Cromartie (CB)

Tamba Hali (DE/LB)

Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)

If we could pick up any or possibly even two of these guys we would be looking very good on defense.

I don't think Mayhew and Schwartz are ignorant to the fact that our secondary is weak, but lucky for us there is a lot of potential at those positions in the free agent class, if we could pick up a few of them I won't blame them at all for not addressing their needs during the draft.

Edited by EchO

Michael Oher was second in the rookie of the year voting and didn't allow a single sack in his first playoffs. Until Pettigrew does something spectacular throughout an entire season or this team actually produces a winning record with not only Pettigrew looking good, but our starters at Left and Right Tackle I will continue believing what I believe about passing over Michael Oher.

Like breaking the record for most catches by a Lions tight end in a single season? Not only that, but he's an excellent blocker, Pettigrew had the NFL’s 6th-best pass-block grade, a +2.3, and 16th-best run block grade, with +0.5.

He has his drops, a lot for TEs actually, but he catches more balls thrown his way than the average receiver, so he makes up for it by getting to more balls.

Why does our left tackle need to look good, Oher is a right tackle, Oher is garbage at left tackle. Backus was about league average last year and Cherlious had turned the corner before his injury and was playing pretty well.

And I doubt Oher guarantees the Lions a winning record, and I doubt he's the reason the Ravens are winning.

You are the guy who wanted the Lions to tank games to get Prince right? Excuse me if I don't accept your declarations as gospel :cheeky:

Edited by drownwithyou

Goose is the best mock expert out there...the only pick he was off on in the top 13 was SF, if they would've taken QB then it may have unfolded how he predicted. Washington wouldn't have a trade partner for Gabbert and could've taken Ponder, then Minnesota as a result would've taken Dalton...he had us pegged with the Fairley pick. He's a mock magician.

ESPN's position power rankings has Pettigrew as a top 10 TE in the NFL. I know, he isn't the great Micheal Oher. You have to look at the source of these claims. He said the Lions should blow games last year so they could move up in the draft to draft Prince Amukemera.

Patrick Petersen is actually who I wanted first, but yeah, I'd have taken Prince too.

Fairley is a dirty player (check youtube) with motivation and character issues and yeah, plenty of talent but there's a reason he fell. Combine the red flags with failing to address an area of need and it looks questionable at best. If everything goes right that d-line is a real force, but I think he'll disappoint. There were better fits available and with less risk.

The chances of disappointment are lowered based on playing along side a group that consists of Suh, KVB, Williams, etc. How are teams gonna block the Lion's defensive line? Fairley dominated in the SEC conference this past season and a lot of people had him ranked as a top three player in this draft. The Lions addressed CB by drafting Fairley as their defensive line will improve their secondary.

Like breaking the record for most catches by a Lions tight end in a single season? Not only that, but he's an excellent blocker, Pettigrew had the NFL’s 6th-best pass-block grade, a +2.3, and 16th-best run block grade, with +0.5.

He has his drops, a lot for TEs actually, but he catches more balls thrown his way than the average receiver, so he makes up for it by getting to more balls.

Why does our left tackle need to look good, Oher is a right tackle, Oher is garbage at left tackle. Backus was about league average last year and Cherlious had turned the corner before his injury and was playing pretty well.

And I doubt Oher guarantees the Lions a winning record, and I doubt he's the reason the Ravens are winning.

You are the guy who wanted the Lions to tank games to get Prince right? Excuse me if I don't accept your declarations as gospel :cheeky:

I never claimed Oher would guarantee a winning record. But if football had a WAR rating, given that you have Tony Scheffler at TE for this team, I would rate Oher with a higher WAR than Pettigrew.

For the record, I don't hate Pettgriew with some passionate fervor, I would have preferred Oher, Mack, Davis, Matthews or (at the time) Jerry, that's all. I also don't hate the Fairlay pick, it isn't my personal favorite selection, but who am I to dictate what the Lions do. I've never pretended to be a know it all, just a guy with an opinion. If anyone finds it stupid/wrong/boneheaded/whatever then that's fine, it's just an opinion.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Pettigrew has more value than Oher...yes we also have Sheffler, but you really need to have two TE's. We have them. We now have a power RB to go with the speed guy we had. We now have three WR's that can stretch the field. We are going to be a ***** to scheme against.

People are pointing to the DL as our strength, but not since the mid 90's when we had the Moore, Perriman and Morton trio paired with David Sloan at TE and Barry at RB have we had this kind of firepower on offense.

Pettigrew has more value than Oher...yes we also have Sheffler, but you really need to have two TE's. We have them. We now have a power RB to go with the speed guy we had. We now have three WR's that can stretch the field. We are going to be a ***** to scheme against.

People are pointing to the DL as our strength, but not since the mid 90's when we had the Moore, Perriman and Morton paired with David Sloan at TE and Barry at RB have we had this kind of firepower on offense.

Ton Scheffler was dissapointing to me last year, especially at the end of the season. He had a decent game against Minnesota, but after the Buffalo game until that Minnesota game (6 games) he had 8 catches for 55 yards 0 TD. For a pure receiving TE he didnt do much for over a 3rd of the season, and really from week 5 on he didnt do much beside the Minnesota game.

What does Scheffler have to do with drafting Pettigrew? Scheffler didn't become a Lion till a year after Pettigrew was drafted.

Scheffler was banged up a bit...but yeah, he did cool off quite a bit during the middle of the season. And Cecil makes a very good point, we didn't have Scheffler when we drafted Pettigrew.

I loved the Pettigrew pick at the time and probably love it even more now. You're hearing a number of people call the Young and Leshoure picks "luxuries"...you heard people call the pettigrew picka luxury too. A TE, 3rd WR and power back aren't luxuries. They're necessities in a quality NFL offense.

Edited by Shinzaki

People are pointing to the DL as our strength, but not since the mid 90's when we had the Moore, Perriman and Morton trio paired with David Sloan at TE and Barry at RB have we had this kind of firepower on offense.

I feel like I read posts similar to this in 2005, just with different names.

I feel like I read posts similar to this in 2005, just with different names.

Exactly. Fans in general (not just Lion's fans) tend to be very optimistic about the draft and the players that were selected by their favorite team. I am fairly certain Lion's fans would think Quinn or Amakumara was the best selection if that had actually been the pick.

And we got what again out of all that offensive fire power? Well, Wayne did win more than any other Lions coach I guess. I've said enough about Pettigrew though, I wasn't intending to hijack this thread and turn it into a previous drafts debate.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I would have been very unhappy if Amakumura was picked at 13. He will be average at best. Hes not a ball hawk nor a shutdown guy. Thirteen is too high for an average DB. I feel we already have young guys on the roster with his ceiling.

Id have loved to fill a need there but none of the players that fit team needs were worthy of 13.

I felt the drafting of Ras-I by the Patriots sent the Lions scrambling a bit. I think they were sure hed be there when they picked and he was thier guy. Fits thier profile to a T. When he was taken they went to plan B and Young.

RB was a glaring need if ya ask me and Leshoure IMO was the best one in the draft. To get him in the late second was a steal even tho it cost us one pick.

I think every front office would love to mesh talent with need perfectly in a draft. But the draft is a dynamic, almost living thing. Its like a battle---all plans go out the window as soon as the first shot is fired and you got to play it by ear. The best way to do that in the draft is to stay tight with your board and make sure you get talent with every pick.

Exactly. Fans in general (not just Lion's fans) tend to be very optimistic about the draft and the players that were selected by their favorite team. I am fairly certain Lion's fans would think Quinn or Amakumara was the best selection if that had actually been the pick.

Well National people (not Lions fans) love the draft

Espn during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFLN during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFL.com fan grades - Lions only team with an A

Mel Kipers post draft grades on ESPN.com - Lions had his highest grade

I think Fairley was the best pick, because he was the best player still on the board (I think he is CLEARLY better player than Quinn and Amukamara)

If I was a Vikings fan I would not be optimistic. In fact, my relatives in Minnesota are very unhappy with their draft.

Well National people (not Lions fans) love the draft

Espn during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFLN during draft on the voting of best draft - Lions

NFL.com fan grades - Lions only team with an A

Mel Kipers post draft grades on ESPN.com - Lions had his highest grade

I think Fairley was the best pick, because he was the best player still on the board (I think he is CLEARLY better player than Quinn and Amukamara)

McShay said the Lions were the winners and McShay has always been hard on Fairly.

McShay said the Lions were the winners and McShay has always been hard on Fairly.

Which is better than being Fairly hard.

This draft/offseason will be an absolute A to A+ if they can pick up a few UDFA (Herzlich from BC, Mims from Virginia Union, and Bellore from CMU). And then pick up one or two main pieces in FA, which based on the CBA could be fairly stacked...

Ike Taylor (CB)

Barrett Rudd (LB)

Brent Grimes (CB)

Stephen Tulloch (LB)

Antonio Cromartie (CB)

Tamba Hali (DE/LB)

Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)

If we could pick up any or possibly even two of these guys we would be looking very good on defense.

I don't think Mayhew and Schwartz are ignorant to the fact that our secondary is weak, but lucky for us there is a lot of potential at those positions in the free agent class, if we could pick up a few of them I won't blame them at all for not addressing their needs during the draft.

Not sure what the CBA will be when we finally get a deal in place but based on the preliminary lists my signings would be 1. Stephen Tulloch LB Tenn 2. Richard Marshall cb Carolina 3. David Bass G/C San Fran