mr0zip0

2011 Draft Grades

What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is your 2011 Lions Draft Grade?

What do you grade the draft for the Lions?

Round 1 - Pick 13: DT Nick Fairley, Auburn

Round 2 - Pick 44: WR Titus Young, Boise State

Round 2 - Pick 57: RB Mikel Leshoure, Illinois

Round 5 - Pick 157: OLB Doug Hogue, Syracuse

Round 7 - Pick 209: OT Johnny Culbreath

Think Id give it a B to B+. Not an A because lack of picks, but we got 3 guys who can come in right away and play and 2 developmental types.

I'm giving them an "A" for no other reason than I'm completely hyped by all of the national praise they are getting. Every analyst I've heard is naming the Lions as having one of the best, if not the best, drafts.

I loved thier draft. They had a plan and stuck to it. They got a top 5 player at 13 and the best RB in the draft late in the second. They got value and talent. The top 3 will see alot of playing time, the LB will see the field on special teams and they may have struck gold on the tackle.

If they are as adept in FA we got something special happening here.

I'm giving them an A...The top three picks were good value for the spots they were taken and will fill an immediate need. Hogue is a good enough athlete to have been named all Big East after playing LB for two years. The Big East isn't the SEC, but it's a decent conference. The 7th round guy? I dunno...

Most of the people calling 97.1 dislike the Yound and Leshoure picks...these are the same folks who were hating the Pettigrew pick a couple of years ago. I view them as a contra-indicator...therefore, we did well.

There are a contigent of fans who wanted us to take CB/LB/OL instead of DT/WR/RB and they wouldnt have been happy unless we took those positions. What a lot of those people fail to realize is you shouldnt take worse players to fill a need and go into a draft thinking you are only going to draft 3 positions, it really limits the talent you can bring in. Prince was an option in Rd 1 but I think everyone considered Fairley a better player. There may have been a CB or 2 available with our 2nd round picks, but most the LB with 2nd round grades were gone and they liked the guys they got better than the available corners.

You should draft best available or you end up with Jordan Dizon in the second round where most of the league had a fifth round grade on. I will give it a B+ because we didn't reach and now you can cross off two immediate needs off of the freeagency wish list.

Giants went BPA and picked up both Amukamara and Marvin Austin and like what they did throughout the draft.

I hate the Pats draft, and to think how pissed some fans were with us taking the skill position guys, they take Ridley and Vereen two guys that seemed like reaches then traded away a bunch of picks, obviously Mallet and Dowling were nice pickups and good value but I thought they needed to address their pass rush and failed for the second straight year with multiple picks.

I'm giving them an A...The top three picks were good value for the spots they were taken and will fill an immediate need. Hogue is a good enough athlete to have been named all Big East after playing LB for two years. The Big East isn't the SEC, but it's a decent conference. The 7th round guy? I dunno...

Most of the people calling 97.1 dislike the Yound and Leshoure picks...these are the same folks who were hating the Pettigrew pick a couple of years ago. I view them as a contra-indicator...therefore, we did well.

I still hate the Pettigrew pick considering we could have had Michael Oher.

There are a contigent of fans who wanted us to take CB/LB/OL instead of DT/WR/RB and they wouldnt have been happy unless we took those positions. What a lot of those people fail to realize is you shouldnt take worse players to fill a need and go into a draft thinking you are only going to draft 3 positions, it really limits the talent you can bring in. Prince was an option in Rd 1 but I think everyone considered Fairley a better player. There may have been a CB or 2 available with our 2nd round picks, but most the LB with 2nd round grades were gone and they liked the guys they got better than the available corners.

If they traded up to get Mikael LaShoure I think that they could have traded up to get Bruce Carter and filled a need with a really solid player. I'm not a BPA all the time guy because sometimes your team just has such a glaring need in one position that it must be filled. Maybe Ashlee Palmer and a FA fills that need for us, but maybe not. Overall though I don't hate the draft, I'm just ehhhh. It's not where I would have went at all but it certainly isn't a bad draft. I would have drafted Prince, traded up to get Bruce Carter and then traded again for another second round pick and tried to snag Young.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Oher's a RT...I'll take a TE that can block and catch like Pettigrew over a RT every day of the week...

I still hate the Pettigrew pick considering we could have had Michael Oher.

If they traded up to get Mikael LaShoure I think that they could have traded up to get Bruce Carter and filled a need with a really solid player. I'm not a BPA all the time guy because sometimes your team just has such a glaring need in one position that it must be filled. Maybe Ashlee Palmer and a FA fills that need for us, but maybe not. Overall though I don't hate the draft, I'm just ehhhh. It's not where I would have went at all but it certainly isn't a bad draft. I would have drafted Prince, traded up to get Bruce Carter and then traded again for another second round pick and tried to snag Young.

Bruce Carter went 40, before even our first 2nd round pick. We traded up to get Leshoure at 57. We would have probably had to give up another 3rd rd pick or so to move up an extra 17 spots...

Three starters at impact positions make it a good draft. Once past the 2nd round I didn't see any LBs or CBs that were immediate starting material or even better than the guys we have.

No sense filling the roster with those guys we have enough already. Get some starting LBs and CBs in free agency.

I'll give them a B for now, I'd like more time to evaluate the entire draft, and I would rather give them a chance to sign UDFA's first also.

Fairley: I would give them a B for this pick simply because I think Quinn would have been the better pick. I will say that based on the stuff I have read since day 1, the Lions were smart to take Fairley over Amakumara.

Titus Young: I give them an A for this pick. They fill a need with a high character player who has a lot of upside and was good value where they got him.

LeShoure: C+ I am not as enamored with LeShoure as some others. Drafting LeShoure moves Best into strictly a third down role and I think it was too early to give up on him as our primary back. LeShoure does have great measurables and value wise, it was a solid pick.

I'll give them a B for now, I'd like more time to evaluate the entire draft, and I would rather give them a chance to sign UDFA's first also.

Not to mention actual free agents.

Here are NFL.com Fan grades, what fans graded each teams picks, they loved giving teams B, every team I dont post got a B

Detroit Lions A

Minnesota Vikings C

Carolina Panthers C

New York Jets C

Oakland Raiders C

San Diego Chargers C

Seattle Seahawks C

Lions only team with an A

Fairley: I would give them a B for this pick simply because I think Quinn would have been the better pick. I will say that based on the stuff I have read since day 1, the Lions were smart to take Fairley over Amakumara.

Titus Young: I give them an A for this pick. They fill a need with a high character player who has a lot of upside and was good value where they got him.

LeShoure: C+ I am not as enamored with LeShoure as some others. Drafting LeShoure moves Best into strictly a third down role and I think it was too early to give up on him as our primary back. LeShoure does have great measurables and value wise, it was a solid pick.

Best is still the starter. Leshoure is the changeup type who they will use depending on the matchup.

A ... they had the steal of the draft, and grabbed two good skill players while everyone else was reaching.

Why is Titus a "high character" guy? Both him and Mikel were suspended during their college careers.

A ... they had the steal of the draft, and grabbed two good skill players while everyone else was reaching.

+1!

And to whoever thinks having Michael Oher is a better value than Pettigrew... I don't even know how to respond to that other than to say, I disagree greatly!

Solid B...You can't argue with the value they got with their picks. I didn't like trading up with as many needs as we have...but this draft was very top heavy and I trust our front office.

+1!

And to whoever thinks having Michael Oher is a better value than Pettigrew... I don't even know how to respond to that other than to say, I disagree greatly!

Michael Oher was second in the rookie of the year voting and didn't allow a single sack in his first playoffs. Until Pettigrew does something spectacular throughout an entire season or this team actually produces a winning record with not only Pettigrew looking good, but our starters at Left and Right Tackle I will continue believing what I believe about passing over Michael Oher.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Its Insider so I cant discuss too much, but Kiper has Lions #1 in his Draft grades (best grade)