RedRamage

Prediction time: Who will the Lions draft?

He failed one drug test actually...and his "brushes" with the law you're talking about I assume are his 2 MIPs...I couldn't care less about either. They are red flags yes, but he has kept his nose clean for the last two years. His "brushes" weren't nearly as bad as the things Newton was involved in and he's in discussion for #1OA.

He fired his agent and hired one of the best in the business. Maybe it's a red flag for some...not for me. Look at all the negative publicity he recieved with his first agent along with the fact that he was advised not to attent the senior bowl. Since he hired Rosenhaus, his stock has risen, and his general image has improved. Looks like a smart move to me.

Stealing a laptop and getting traffic tickets were worse than multiple failed drug tests(there were at least 3, not sure where you got one. He also admitted that one was from abusing codeine), having 2 alcohol related incidents(not major in general, but when you play football you have to prioritize it over partying) and getting multiple girls pregnant(both aborted, not that I judge him for abortions. However, getting 2 girls pregnant in addition to the other things shows irresponsibility).

i don't have a problem with smith for the record. As is the case with Newton, he seems to have convinced teams that his past was mostly an issue of youthful indiscretion rather than a pattern going forward. However, if we are comparing them, Smith's track record is MUCH,MUCH worse. He ran with a really bad crowd and whether he will leave that behind is the biggest issue involved in deciding his future character probably(teams are supposedly convinced he will). I'm sure you will mention Newton's pay for play deal and that isn't great or anything, but its not something NFL teams look into, trust me. If they didn't draft guys based on taking money in college, they wouldn't draft anyone.

Not sure if you heard, but there have been a lot or reports lately that the Panthers are sold on Newton's charcter. They believe he is the leader a franchise QB needs to be and the GM said he DEFINTELY(he stressed this word, not me) has that special desire to be truly great. They aren't worried about him getting in trouble in the future by any means.

Why is there no love for Pouncey? I'm not expecting him to be as good as his brother but I'd love to get Peterman or Railoa replaced before Backus. Most mocks have Pouncey going around 15 anyway.

There is simply way too much value at 13 to take an OG. He is a very good, 1st round graded OG prospect, but the problem is that there are legit guys to take at other positions that are valued much more so. DE,CB and OT specifically. The Lions seem to like their OG starters and it seems to me that Fox will end up as an OG, so we have a developmental guy behind them. Pouncey has not shown he can play C, especially in a league where so many plays come out of the gun(Shaun Hill threw 2/3 of his passes from the gun), his inability to snap well is a big concern. If we trade back to the mid 20s, Pouncey may be an option. He will not go as high as 15 like suggested. At 13, Amukamura,all 3 Smiths,Kerrigan and Jordan would have to all be gone to think about OG.

Once Peterman's foot got healthy, he got much better. He stopped committing penalties for the last 4-5 games and got a lot more push in the run game. He was one of the biggest factors in our very good rushing attack in our 4 wins down the stretch. Replacing him shouldn't be a priority. He isn't a logn term ansewr, but he's a legit starter.

I know Smith has 4 failed drug tests during college, brushes with the law, already fired his first agent and hired another before the nfl combine. I say if they trade down and he is still there, lets think about him. Mayhew will be judged hard if he picks this guy for the rest of his career if it turns out to be a stinker,,,,,

Gotta think Talib is scaring people off Smith too.

DL is VERY deep in this draft...if we take a D-Lineman at #13 (or wherever we trade down to) I'd fully expect us to take Davon House in the 2nd. He is an absolutely perfect fit for our defense. I would bet anyone that we don't take Prince, even if he is available at our pick.

I think they'll see Prince as too good of value to pass, as like you said DL is so deep we can potentially get a guy like Reed(next KVB?) in the 2nd. Davone House is a good fit for our D no dobut and i love him, but Prince is the ultimate fit in the end with his combo of man coverage skills, instincts and run support. He's a top 10 graded guy by most and I don't think we pass. I don't think he slips either though.

I do think however, that the CB group that will go in the mid 2nd to mid 3rd is pretty deep and taletned, especially for our system. A.Williams,Dowling,Harris,House,Jalil Brown,Curtis Brown,Burton,Chekwa and maybe even Chris L.Rucker, who the Sporting NEws has going 2nd round. So for that reason, I wouldn't mind waiting to take best CB available in the 2nd or ideally 3rd(the value isn't great at our 2nd rounder unless its House or Dowling). Maybe we get something like Sturdivant/Wilson in the 2nd and Aldon SMith or Kerrigan in the 1st.

Speaking of which, I hope that teams have learned their lessons in dealing with the Pats. They have a bevy of picks this year, but only 5 next year. You can almost bet on some teams trading a 2012 pick for one of the Pats extra picks this year.

They don't care what picks the Pats have, only if the particular trade gets them what they desire. However, trading a future 2nd for a guy like Armanti Edwards, especially the extremely valuable 33rd pick, makes you look silly.

Stealing a laptop and getting traffic tickets were worse than multiple failed drug tests(there were at least 3, not sure where you got one. He also admitted that one was from abusing codeine), having 2 alcohol related incidents(not major in general, but when you play football you have to prioritize it over partying) and getting multiple girls pregnant(both aborted, not that I judge him for abortions. However, getting 2 girls pregnant in addition to the other things shows irresponsibility).

To me, stealing a laptop, lying to police followed by throwing the laptop out the window and commiting academic fraud 3 times is a little more serious than drinking, smoking pot, and having sex. Both were young, both were immature, and both have said they've grown up since then. I've done everything Smith has done (except the codeine) when I was young, 18-20, and now just 5 years later I look back and see how stupid I was. But if we remove names and just compare both of their crimes, I'd pick the party boy over the lying, fraudulent theif...but that's just me.

If you ask me, Akeem Ayers making a conscious decision to play football at UCLA is a far bigger character concern than anything that Jimmy Smith ever did.

As long as Pouncey never has to snap a ball...

exactly, he did not look that good as a center to me (blocking was ok, but I saw him mess up plenty of snaps in the short amount of UF football I watched last year)

If you ask me, Akeem Ayers making a conscious decision to play football at UCLA is a far bigger character concern than anything that Jimmy Smith ever did.

Seriously. Why would anyone go to UCLA when you can make three times as much across town at U$C? Just dumb.

I change my guess to Pouncey. I don't know why I just have a feeling all the defensive talk could be a cover. JMO.

If the Lions take Pouncey in the first round, it better be after they traded down. Twice.

No way you take a guard that high in the draft.

exactly, he did not look that good as a center to me (blocking was ok, but I saw him mess up plenty of snaps in the short amount of UF football I watched last year)

Most of my coworkers are UF diehards and Pouncey was the butt of a majority of jokes in the fall.

To me, stealing a laptop, lying to police followed by throwing the laptop out the window and commiting academic fraud 3 times is a little more serious than drinking, smoking pot, and having sex. Both were young, both were immature, and both have said they've grown up since then. I've done everything Smith has done (except the codeine) when I was young, 18-20, and now just 5 years later I look back and see how stupid I was. But if we remove names and just compare both of their crimes, I'd pick the party boy over the lying, fraudulent theif...but that's just me.

Don't forget the aggravated assault.

The laptop may be the msot serious incdent overall, but Smith has multiple incidents that all came out of him running with a bad crowd and making irresponsible decisions. Do drinking and smoking pot mean that automatically, no, but in Smith's situation that is the case. As far as football players and cheating, well, not sure what to tell you there. Its not the drinking and drug use that bother, me, I've done it all too. Its that he did something that threatened his responsibility to the team. That's why teams care when guys fail weed tests at the combine, not because of the fact that they smoke weed. Taht will never affect their playing career in and of itself.

A QB in the first round is probably out of the question. But if Mallett is still on the board when the Lions pick in round 2, I'd seriously consider it. Initially just someone to develop during his rookie season, but if Stafford continues to be injury prone (as I expect), you've still got a young QB to build around for the future.

A QB in the first round is probably out of the question. But if Mallett is still on the board when the Lions pick in round 2, I'd seriously consider it. Initially just someone to develop during his rookie season, but if Stafford continues to be injury prone (as I expect), you've still got a young QB to build around for the future.

That's a horrible idea for the Lions .... the Patriots - sure, but not the Lions.

Is it the "off the field issues" with Mallett that has you worried? I keep hearing about the off the field issues, but there doesn't seem to be much actual substance to it. He did get arrested for public intoxication in 2009 so there is that, but otherwise just the media throwing around a bunch of rumors and he'll probably slip in the draft because of it. Pretty good, in depth article I read on ESPN about Mallett.

NFL Draft: Ryan Mallett focused on the future - ESPN

Is it the "off the field issues" with Mallett that has you worried? I keep hearing about the off the field issues, but there doesn't seem to be much actual substance to it. He did get arrested for public intoxication in 2009 so there is that, but otherwise just the media throwing around a bunch of rumors and he'll probably slip in the draft because of it. Pretty good, in depth article I read on ESPN about Mallett.

He won't fall in the draft because of media rumors.

I'm not sold on his NFL prospects, but I wouldn't take him just because the Lions have too many other needs they have to address.

Draft day is here, feels weird.

Finally get to find out who the Lions are drafting. I wouldnt mind seeing Jimmy Smith in the Lions secondary.

Finally get to find out who the Lions are drafting. I wouldnt mind seeing Jimmy Smith in the Lions secondary.

Part of me wouldn't mind seeing that too, from a purely onfield standpoint. But, even if he's a model citizen when he comes here, there would always be an uneasy feeling that he's going to be causing problems.

I'd rather not have that uneasy feeling for the next 4-6 years.

A big reason why he's falling in the draft is that he's extremely immobile and doesn't react well to pressure and makes bad decisions on and off the football field and has a slow delivery. And there is a ton of great pass rushers in this draft to add to the glut of pass rushers already in the league salivating to get a chance at him. I'm glad he won't be on the Lions.

A big reason why he's falling in the draft is that he's extremely immobile and doesn't react well to pressure and makes bad decisions on and off the football field and has a slow delivery. And there is a ton of great pass rushers in this draft to add to the glut of pass rushers already in the league salivating to get a chance at him. I'm glad he won't be on the Lions.

Amen. I just cant get that Alabama game out of my head, some of the throws he tried to make were just foolish.

What concerns me perhaps most with Mallett is that he was never voted as team captain at Arkansas, what does that tell you?

Heard some grumblings that Kaepernick is going to Miami in round one. If Kaepernick and Dalton go in round one, wow. Kaepernick is a late 2nd/early 3rd guy who may develop but I wouldnt bet on. Dalton is a facing a Ryan Fitzpatrick ceiling to me.

Christian Ponder makes some nice throws, but I would be scared off that he will be much to fragile.

I dont think Newton pans out because of smarts, Gabbert has to make adjustments, and Locker is a boom or bust selection based on potential.

I dont think that there is a future all pro at QB in this draft.

Isn't Stafford younger than Mallett? Mallett would be injury prone if he ever stepped on an NFL field. He's going to get hurt, he's that slow.