mavscougars

Are the Indians for real?

I'm not saying Hannahan is better then Inge, but Hannahan has the higher career OBP. Which says more about the career of Inge than it says about the career of Hannahan.

Well the Indians got one hit last night. Choo, who I think would look fabulous is Tigers uniform got the only hit off Dan Haren.

I'm not saying Hannahan is better then Inge, but Hannahan has the higher career OBP. Which says more about the career of Inge than it says about the career of Hannahan.

This led me to find a cool feature of Baseball Reference which I really didn't know was there: Compare - a split screen feature from the B-R folks.

Compare Two Players at Baseball-Reference.com

Well the Indians got one hit last night. Choo, who I think would look fabulous is Tigers uniform got the only hit off Dan Haren.

Haren has thrown two shutouts in his career and I just happened to watch both of them on a whim. He went to a lot of deep counts last night, but that's the only knock. He's a strange pitcher in that he pitches off of his 85 mph cutter rather than his 90 mph fastball. No one mixes pitches as well as he does. He'll get behind 2-0 and come back with a curveball and a cutter. His split was generating lots of swings and misses early, and he was able to bury the cutter on the fists of the lefties all night. I was surprised to see him go out to finish it, but was glad he did.

Haren has thrown two shutouts in his career and I just happened to watch both of them on a whim.

Ha, same here.

He went to a lot of deep counts last night, but that's the only knock. He's a strange pitcher in that he pitches off of his 85 mph cutter rather than his 90 mph fastball. No one mixes pitches as well as he does. He'll get behind 2-0 and come back with a curveball and a cutter. His split was generating lots of swings and misses early, and he was able to bury the cutter on the fists of the lefties all night. I was surprised to see him go out to finish it, but was glad he did.

He's one pitcher I've always coveted for the Tigers.

Inge might be the worst overall everyday starting player in the bigs right now. A defensive first guy who can't play defense now.

wrong and wrong...

What I admire about Inge is that he is so polarizing that he seeps into so many threads here...like one on the Indians.

Most polarizing player ever. He's neither as awful or as good as he's made out to be.

I think the Indians have a sneaky good team. They probably don't have the pitching, but they have decent on base skills. They also have the benefit of wins in the bank. They could end up finishing at 500 because of it, and with their fair share of luck in one run games, you never know.

I've caught a few of the games -- the Indians pitching is pretty good so far and people I thought were finished (Travis Hafner) are playing well. Shin-shoo is slumping, so I guess in many ways they still have even more potential.

To me the key for the Indians is confidence. I don't know how Manny Acta will be as the skipper. Everything looks good when you are winning, but I suspect if they go 3-7 in the next 10 games they have a good chance of imploding.

You listen to the broadcasters (Tom Hamilton and the other guy they call Rosie) and they certainly don't act like it is destiny for the trip. And after a eight-game win streak you would think they would sound a little cocky and they don't.. ... No matter how much the home announcers are homers, they aren't blind

I think the Indians have a sneaky good team. They probably don't have the pitching, but they have decent on base skills. They also have the benefit of wins in the bank. They could end up finishing at 500 because of it, and with their fair share of luck in one run games, you never know.

Their lineup has the chance to be well above average if everything goes right. Choo, Sizemore, Cabrera, and Hafner have hit well in the past. Santana and LaPorta were very highly regarded prospects. Brantley is a solid player. Austin Kearns can hit a little. Even with O-Cab and Hannahan being pretty mediocre offensively, there's a lot of runs to be scored.

It would take a miracle for the pitching to get them well above 70 wins though.

Meh, the projections had them above 70 wins before the season. They now have wins in the bank. It won't take a miracle to get them to 80 at this point.

wrong and wrong...

It's funny that you post this after Inges walkoff. I was exaggerating a bit, but he is among the worst overall regular players on baseball. And aside from his torrid start when he made the all-star team, he probably is among the five worst everyday players of the last 8 or so years.

Worse than jackson?

Dude, what's with your Jackson hate. Is it a joke, or are you serious?

Let's see: .214/.283/.357 with strikeouts in a third of his ABs. People have hated players for lines a lot better than that.

EDIT - Of course, he looks like Ted Williams compared to Rhymes: .182/.270/.182. I can't recall seeing a position player's SLG below the Mendoza line before. Free Scott Sizemore.

Edited by Eric Cioe

The joke is how many people think he is good.

Terrible walk rate.

Terrible strikeout rate.

No power.

Other than that, he's a great hitter.

Also, I'm talking about his career numbers, not just his terrible start to this year.

It's funny that you post this after Inges walkoff. I was exaggerating a bit, but he is among the worst overall regular players on baseball. And aside from his torrid start when he made the all-star team, he probably is among the five worst everyday players of the last 8 or so years.

He probably isn't. The fact he has been able to keep a starting job for those 8 years strongly suggests he has been around a league average player at worst.

The joke is how many people think he is good.

Terrible walk rate.

Terrible strikeout rate.

No power.

Other than that, he's a great hitter.

Also, I'm talking about his career numbers, not just his terrible start to this year.

His career consists of one season. In which he hit for a decent avg. I know about his BABIP so don't bother mentioning it. He plays above average defense in a park where an above average CF is a big plus, he has above average speed, which I think he should take more advantage of on the bases, and above all, he's young and cheap. I think people value him more for his potential than his play thus far.

Speed on the bases means nothing with less than league average OBP. He's got to improve a lot right now to get to league average.

He probably isn't. The fact he has been able to keep a starting job for those 8 years strongly suggests he has been around a league average player at worst.

I'm talking about players that have kept a starting job the last eight years. There must be the worst one among them, right? And I would guess, admittedly without having done any research, that Inge has been among the very worst ones. Obviously the fact that he has kept his job means that he is not among the worst bench players of the last eight years, but that's my point.

If you know his babip, you shouldn't mention his BA. And potential doesn't win games.

And I'm not talking about defense. His defense is just fine.

His career also consists of more than one season. His minor league walk, strikeout, and power numbers aren't anything to write home about either.