Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

Zetterberg's Injury

I've been dozing, didn't know he left the Carolina game with a lower body injury. Out for this weekend's games, but hopes to be ready for the playoffs.

Injured Wings star Henrik Zetterberg 'day-to-day' for playoffs | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News

Detroit— The Red Wings might be without one of their top players when the playoffs start next week.

Forward Henrik Zetterberg, who limped off the ice with a left knee injury midway through the first period Wednesday against the Hurricanes, is out at least the final two games of the regular season.

Advertisement

And beginning Monday, he will be listed day-to-day.

"The only thing I know is that I won't play this weekend and starting Monday we'll go day-by-day and see how much better it gets," said Zetterberg, who had an MRI on Thursday, and though he wouldn't divulge the extent of the injury, he said he was encouraged by the results.

"The next few days will be critical to how fast it turns around."

While the injury won't require surgery, Zetterberg doesn't have a timetable for his return.

"It depends," he said. "It could be day-by-day-by-day-by-day."

But, Zetterberg added he'd "absolutely" return at some point in the playoffs.

Even if Zetterberg misses a couple playoff games, it undoubtedly will be a blow for the Red Wings.

From The Detroit News: Injured Wings star Henrik Zetterberg 'day-to-day' for playoffs | detnews.com | The Detroit News

And from this morning's wire:

The Detroit Red Wings avoided the disaster of losing Henrik Zetterberg for the playoffs, but how long that'll be remains to be seen.

Zetterberg is listed as having a lower body injury, but he was lifting weights Thursday at Joe Louis Arena with a brace on his left knee.

The Detroit centre apparently injured his left leg after it folded awkwardly after a collision with Carolina's Bryan Allen in Wednesday's game.

Zetterberg, who had an MRI Thursday morning, confirmed he'll miss the final two regularseason games this weekend against Chicago.

Detroit will face the Hawks at Joe Louis Arena tonight (7: 30 p.m., FSN plus) and they'll be in Chicago Sunday (12: 30 p.m., NBC).

"I will say it's better than I thought," Zetterberg said.

"The only thing I know is I won't play this weekend. We'll go day by day and see how much better it gets."

Zetterberg said he has had a similar injury in years past and wasn't out that long.

Read more: Injured Wing back for playoffs

Injured Wing back for playoffs

Remember in the playoffs a couple of years ago when we thought Datsyuk was day to day but it was really much worse? I have a feeling this may be a similar deal.

Remember in the playoffs a couple of years ago when we thought Datsyuk was day to day but it was really much worse? I have a feeling this may be a similar deal.

Same. I wouldn't be surprised if he has surgery after the playoffs.

I liked it better when you were a Satanic Lions fan.

Not sure if this is longing for my old avatar or a distaste for my Wings pessimism right now!

I can deal with him missing a couple of games but not the whole first series. He is too vital to this team and he was playing extremely well right before he got hurt.

I agree with others who bet it's worse than is being let on. Wouldn't surprise me to see him miss the entire 1st round.

I agree with others who bet it's worse than is being let on. Wouldn't surprise me to see him miss the entire 1st round.

Which would mean the entire playoffs.

You certainly are a pleasure to have around. I thought your crazy rant in the Blues game thread was just overreaction, but it looks like you're buying into it for the long haul.

@LarryLage: Zetterberg, arriving @ the Joe w/ a brace his left knee, says he's out for least Game 1 and doesn't know if he'll play Game 2

You certainly are a pleasure to have around. I thought your crazy rant in the Blues game thread was just overreaction, but it looks like you're buying into it for the long haul.

I want to know what everyone here sees that I havent that makes them think the Wings are primed for a long playoff run. Is it the ungodly SoG against? The top goaltending? The defense that gets punked game after game in its own zone? The sustained forecheck we generate? The hard backchecking forwards? The great passes to start the play out of our own zone? The mental lapses game after game? The GAA? The Zetterberg injury? The physical toughness? Bertuzzi, Filpula, Hudler, Draper, Kronwall, Ericcson, Salei, Kindle? Cmon please tell me. This team has major holes.

Im just voicing what everyone of you are thinking. Im being realistic, you guys are relying on a shot and a prayer. And that St. Louis post wasnt the first time Id posted something similar. The Wings got off to a great start but have looked medicre since. At times less than mediocre. Their one saving grace has been scoring. And that simply doesnt cut it in the playoffs.

Edited by Dawgs

I want to know what everyone here sees that I havent that makes them think the Wings are primed for a long playoff run. Is it the ungodly SoG against? The top goaltending? The defense that gets punked game after game in its own zone? The sustained forecheck we generate? The hard backchecking forwards? The great passes to start the play out of our own zone? The mental lapses game after game? The GAA? The Zetterberg injury? The physical toughness? Bertuzzi, Filpula, Hudler, Draper, Kronwall, Ericcson, Salei, Kindle? Cmon please tell me. This team has major holes.

Im just voicing what everyone of you are thinking. Im being realistic, you guys are relying on a shot and a prayer. And that St. Louis post wasnt the first time Id posted something similar. The Wings got off to a great start but have looked medicre since. At times less than mediocre. Their one saving grace has been scoring. And that simply doesnt cut it in the playoffs.

16 fanbases have things to worry about. What's a better predictor of playoff success - the final 1/3 of this regular season or the body of work that is the past 2-3 seasons including playoffs. I'd argue the latter. Would you rather be a fan of the Wings who coasted through the meaningless 2nd half of this season or a fan of Boston who blew a 3-0 series lead in their last meaningful games last spring, Washington who got shut down in the playofffs last year, San Jose that often disappoints come playoff time, Pittsburgh missing Crosby and Malkin, Chicago which has lost its depth of last year, Philly which stumbled down the stretch as badly as the Wings, the Canucks with the weight of expectations as President's Trophy winners, Tampa with a slumping Stamkos who hit the wall the final 1/4 of the season, etc.

People always say teams like Nashville and Bufffalo and Rangers and Calgary (not in it this year I know) are dangerous to play in the playoffs because of good goaltending and a strong defensive system, but those teams typically get bounced in the 1st round much more often than not. Because they can't elevate their game above how they played in the regular season. The Wings can. It just takes top teams a series or two to do so, hence so many 1st round scares or upsets.

Of course the Wings could get bounced in the 1st round. When was the last time the Wings won a Round 1 series in less than 6 games? Name me one team of the 16 that is a lock to win the 1st round.

"One saving grace has been scoring" is not something to be dismissed. 2nd most goals in the NHL, just one behind Vancouver. Offense is half the game. You need to play good defense to win in the playoffs, but the teams who win by playing good enough defense in the playoffs aren't always the teams that played the best defense in the regular season. The Wings roster are capable of playing good defense, they've proven that at the highest level of NHL playoffs and Olympic games.

All you have to watch is the game Sunday against Chicago to see what this team can do. If they can play like that for the next few weeks, they will be primed for a run. They CAN do it. I almost equate it to what the Celtics did last year. Not a great regular season but they turned it on in the playoffs and went to the Finals. The Wings can do it, especially if Zetterberg is not out long.

That said, I am still worried but it's not the grave situation some are making it out to be.

The Wings can do it, especially if Zetterberg is not out long.

That, Zetterberg's injury, is one of only 3 things that concerns me. The other 2 being whether Howard is up to it (the only significant player on the team who hasn't been Cup Finals-tested) and whether the Canucks are just too good.

Second best goals for in the league and the worst goals against of all 16 teams. Tampa gave up one less goal than we did and I have them going out quickly as well. You dont win in the playoffs when you cant stop the opponents from scoring.

Look its not like I wont be rooting for them just as hard as ever. I love the Wings and hockey is by far my favorite sport. I just think this is a year they lose in the first round mostly because they are pretty much powerless when it comes to stopping the other teams forecheck.

Second best goals for in the league and the worst goals against of all 16 teams. Tampa gave up one less goal than we did and I have them going out quickly as well. You dont win in the playoffs when you cant stop the opponents from scoring.

Look its not like I wont be rooting for them just as hard as ever. I love the Wings and hockey is by far my favorite sport. I just think this is a year they lose in the first round mostly because they are pretty much powerless when it comes to stopping the other teams forecheck.

We can agree that if the Wings play defense and goal the way they did through much of the regular season, there's a decent chance of a 1st round knockout. I don't think they will. I think the defense for sure will be better, they have the credentials to do so.

And I know you're a fan. And being critical or pessimistic is just as legit as being positive or optimistic. I just think there's more basis than you do for anticipating a decent run this year.

Sounds good:

Zetterberg hasn’t played since spraining his left MCL April 6. Today he was in a good enough mood to joke about cracking the lineup.

“That’s the one thing left,” Zetterberg said with a smile. “Feeling healthy and ready. Just have to prove myself next week in practice.

“If it would have been a Game 5 today, I think I would have played. This is definitely good for me having this week to do more rehab and then have next week to go full out and get back in playing shape.”

Wings relish break before Round 2 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Babs was on NHL live today. he said Z is ready to go and wouldve gone if there was a game 5.

He said Franzen wouldnt have, though. He expects Franzen back for the next series.

Looks like both will be ready for game 1 next week which is huge. Sounds like both could have played if went back to Detroit for Game 5 but just as well to not risk it with a 3-0 lead. This has to be a nice boost for the team to get Hank back.