CapitalTigers

Zumaya and Guillen Injury Update

One NL scout who watched Joel Zumaya pitch this week said the righty "didn't have much of a breaking ball but threw 93-96 on his fastball. Somebody will bite on him."

Cafardo On Red Sox, Rays, Cubs, Wandy, Zumaya: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

His arm strength must not be there for his breaking ball not to be there. 93-96 also seems low for him. I know when he was going well in 2010 he threw a little less hard but with better control...

Cafardo On Red Sox, Rays, Cubs, Wandy, Zumaya: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

His arm strength must not be there for his breaking ball not to be there. 93-96 also seems low for him. I know when he was going well in 2010 he threw a little less hard but with better control...

93-96 rehabbing off an injury is pretty good, especially for the middle of the winter. I'd venture to guess he'll still throw the same speed if/when he comes back.

93-96 rehabbing off an injury is pretty good, especially for the middle of the winter. I'd venture to guess he'll still throw the same speed if/when he comes back.

Yup. IIRC 96 is not unusual for where Zoom often started Spring training.

Yup. IIRC 96 is not unusual for where Zoom often started Spring training.

I have a feeling he gets a low major league offer based on his reputation and the level of interest but he's not quite right yet. Circumstances might not be kind to Joel Z.

Circumstances might not be kind to Joel Z.

Might not? When have circumstances ever been kind to that guy?

I don't get wrapped up in particular players' stories very much, but Huey always said that Joel was the hardest working guy in ST, or at least right there with Verlander. I can't help but feel bad for the guy, because of the disparity between his commitment and his playing time, and for myself, because I'm not able to watch one of the best fastballs of all time for 60 IP every year.

EDIT - His run in April until the injury in 2010 was 30 of the most dominant innings I have ever seen. And he did it all with one pitch.

April: 14.2 IP, 12 H, 2 ER, 16 SO, 0 BB

May: 13.2 IP, 12 H, 4 ER, 15 SO, 6 BB

That's 28.1 IP with 24 H, 6 ER (1.84 ERA), 31 SO, and 6 BB. And he did it with one pitch. He was just absolute money for those two months, and most of his appearances were longer than 1 IP. I just miss watching the kid putting 98+ wherever he wanted to. That April, he basically threw 98-101 wherever he wanted to, and that's a feat of greatness.

Edited by Eric Cioe

Might not? When have circumstances ever been kind to that guy?

I don't get wrapped up in particular players' stories very much, but Huey always said that Joel was the hardest working guy in ST, or at least right there with Verlander. I can't help but feel bad for the guy, because of the disparity between his commitment and his playing time, and for myself, because I'm not able to watch one of the best fastballs of all time for 60 IP every year.

In the Sylvia Plath/Tibetan sense, we are all doomed. I only meant, that Zumaya might have a bit of bad luck with his rehab and the timing of this off season. He would be best served by a nurturing environment like the Padres or the Tigers. The Padres because its low pressure, Bud Black can help him manage his career back on track, and its his home. Detroit because we know and love him from his good days. There are plenty on this board who hate him because of his dirt bike injury or kegstand or whatever.