CapitalTigers

Zumaya and Guillen Injury Update

He's good yes...but that's the point, WHEN he is healthy...he hasn't gone through seasons since 2006 without any injury happening. I'll agree with last year...i just wonder if zumaya realizes that maybe he can't throw as hard as he did when that shoulder is just been surgically repaired.

How many times since 2006 has he said "im healthy" and looked to get back in and then surprise...something happens to him.

I hope he does well in his career if he does something else, but my point is maybe pitching just isn't his strong suit any more.

Yeah, but when he is healthy he helps the bullpen, and when he is hurt he is on the DL and doesn't take up a spot on the roster.

So why not see if pitching is still a strong suit instead of dismissively waving him away?

To me...after 2006, he just overrated now.

Zumaya isn't overrated.

Yeah, but when he is healthy he helps the bullpen, and when he is hurt he is on the DL and doesn't take up a spot on the roster.

So why not see if pitching is still a strong suit instead of dismissively waving him away?

This makes sense. Yay, logic.

Per Beck's blog they are going to spend 6 weeks rehabbing instead of surgery.

Makes sense for the Tigers- they might get some Zumaya.

Zumaya's career would probably be better served by the surgery. The extra rehab never seems to work.

I'm not exactly going out on a limb by predicting this, but I'm going to predict that the rehab will turn out to be the wrong idea. After the six week period is up, he'll have a good throwing session to start, then it won't be long before there's another setback of some kind. Same old song, add another verse.

I can understand why this is the option that's being taken, though. Season ending surgery with free agency looming in the off-season probably doesn't seem too appealing. I can see how Zoom wants to make an effort to get some game action in this season so that he can convince some team that he's still worth taking a chance on.

I can see how the Tigers would want to try to salvage something while he's still under team control for now, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them part company with him in the off-season if can't get any kind of productivity out of him in 2011.

Beck tweets that Zumaya is going under the knife May 10.

Extinguish those last few, tiny flickers of hope for him in 2011.

How about ever for Zoom? Exploratory surgery when he's already had to deal with numerous other surgeries/rehabs the last three years sounds career threatening to me more than anything.

Beck tweets that Zumaya is going under the knife May 10.

Extinguish those last few, tiny flickers of hope for him in 2011.

He's done. Not for just this year. He's just done. Move on.

I think Guillen is done too.

He's done. Not for just this year. He's just done. Move on.

I think Guillen is done too.

Unfortunately, I agree. They're both done, but especially Zumaya. He'll likely have to retire in his 20s, very sad news for one of the most exciting players in years.

I'm curious as to what changed for his 6 weeks of rest and rehab. He was only 2 weeks in. I'd assume, as we know our own bodies best, that he just feels it is more significant than rest.

How about ever for Zoom? Exploratory surgery when he's already had to deal with numerous other surgeries/rehabs the last three years sounds career threatening to me more than anything.

Lets see if they just happen to remove the pin during the 'exploration', which is something they probably should have done before he started rehabing but didn't want to give up the time to do. Now it will cost 2/3 or more of a season to get a definitive answer on his future.

Edited by Gehringer_2

I don't get this whole "he's done," stuff.

First off, I can't imagine there are too many jobs offering him the paycheck he can get playing baseball. Now, I'm not saying it's all about the money, but if the choice is surgery, then rehab, then a possible role on a big league team, or working at Sears for $10 an hour, I'd say the choice is easy.

Secondly, I don't get all the negative reaction about him trying to come back. Is he really hurting the team by attempting to come back? Well, let's look at that; he doesn't take up a roster space being on the DL, he isn't making a huge amount of money that could be going elsewhere, and he's not blowing any games sitting on the sidelines. Sounds like a no to me...

Lastly, the risk/reward is just too great to throw it all away from both sides. When he's healthy, he's one of the best relievers in the game, why wouldn't you as a Tigers fan want that back? Would you rather we go out and get another Brad Thomas for the bullpen? Arms like his don't grow on trees people. Even with his injury problems he's still more valuable if he ever comes back than another Brad Thomas.

This thread, in general, is one of the most negative things I've read in quite some time. Frankly, I think it's pathetic. Half of me almost hopes he does quit, so that we can go out and get another Brad Thomas, Tim Byrdak, insert name of any other reliever who can't get the job done, just so I can watch you all complain about how it would be nice to have a shut down type reliever for the middle innings again. All because the guy who has proven he can do the job has had a few setbacks in a freak injury that no one has ever had before.

Did I say he was hurting the team?

I said he's done, I said nothing against the guy personally, but it would take a miraculous comeback for him to have any kind of reasonable major league career.

I would love to be wrong on this, but be realistic, he hasn't been healthy since 2006 - this is a lot like Fidrych, you pull for the guy, but at some point you have to be realistic.

I would keep Zumaya on the 40 man roster unless I needed to open a spot, at which time I would consider removing Zumaya if no other options make sense.

I said he's done, I said nothing against the guy personally, but it would take a miraculous comeback for him to have any kind of reasonable major league career.

I would love to be wrong on this, but be realistic, he hasn't been healthy since 2006 - this is a lot like Fidrych, you pull for the guy, but at some point you have to be realistic.

One notable difference between Fidrych and Zumaya is Zumaya struck a bunch of guys out. Even had Fidrych not gotten hurt, it is likely he would have been a middle of the rotation starter at best over the long run.

Oh yes, I went there.

I would keep Zumaya on the 40 man roster unless I needed to open a spot, at which time I would consider removing Zumaya if no other options make sense.

Well, he can sit on the 60 day DL for the forseeable future so no worries there

I think they can just put him on the 60-day DL ad infinitum.

One notable difference between Fidrych and Zumaya is Zumaya struck a bunch of guys out. Even had Fidrych not gotten hurt, it is likely he would have been a middle of the rotation starter at best over the long run.

Oh yes, I went there.

3.50 k/bb in his shortened 1977, who knows what would have happened

You say it like you know something. You don't.

He doesn't count against the 40 man because he is on the 60 day DL. He is also a free agent after this season. The tigers will have to decide whether to re-sign him this offseason. I could see them offering a minor league deal.

3.50 k/bb in his shortened 1977, who knows what would have happened

I think he would have been a middle of the rotation starter at best over the long run.

But, sure, had he been able to maintain a BB/9 of low 1's over his career, and/or grew his K/9, then his odds improve markedly.

No, MCS, you didn't say he's hurting the team or anything personally against the guy, and the post wasn't meant to insinuate you did. It was much more a sum up of the entire thread.

As for a miraculous comeback, I don't think that's really true. At the end of the day, it's just a broken bone. People have come back from those many times. Now granted, it's in an odd place, but it's still just a broken bone. Supposedly, there wasn't any other structural damage to his elbow, so why wouldn't he be able to come back from this throwing 105?

Hopefully, they get it right this time, and 10 months of recovery time will get him back to where he was before the injury, shutting down opposing teams until he has another weird injury...

He doesn't count against the 40 man because he is on the 60 day DL. He is also a free agent after this season. The tigers will have to decide whether to re-sign him this offseason. I could see them offering a minor league deal.

Me too. I wouldn't be totally shocked either.

The Tigers Facebook page comments are good for killing one's brain cells. Lot's of brilliant calls to "get rid of the bum" and to "trade him."

If I'm GM of any team, a minor league deal is the best I'd offer.

As a Tigers fan, I think we've been through the Zoom Injury song and dance enough times. I'm ok with them parting ways with him after the season is up and his contract is officially retired. I'm ok with seeing another team take a chance on him. If it works out for them in the long term, then so be it.